Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
judo_and_peppers

roasted ghost

judo_and_peppers
10 years ago

so I made the roasted ghost sauce. it came out extremely well. I took a few pics along the way.

3 ghosts, and 2 red bells cut into thirds.

I roasted them over applewood chunks over hardwood charcoal. it was unbelievably smoky. smelled good though.

what it looked like after the roast. the ghosts shrank a lot.

the ingredients. about 6oz vinegar, the amount of brown sugar shown (I think I used way too much this time), about 1oz lime juice, maybe 5 oz distilled water, and about 2 tablespoons of the tomato paste. the rest of the stuff was sprinkled in a bit at a time to taste. barely any onion powder. I'd have used fresh garlic but I'm fresh out.

the end result. I boiled the heck outta the sauce, and the bottles (I walked away and the sauce boiled over and made a huge mess), then combined them.

I think it turned out amazingly well. I like it a lot.

but honestly, despite all I hear about the ripe bhut aroma, I think a ripe brain strain smells better than a ripe bhut.

Comments (17)

• sandysgardens
    10 years ago

That looks real good.

question - where did you order/get your bottles from?

Sandy

• judo_and_peppers
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I got them from fillmore container. I recommend them very highly. something went wrong with my initial order, causing it to not arrive (not sure if it was their fault or a shipping thing), so to make amends they sent me twice my initial order with rush shipping for no extra cost. now I've got a ton of bottles.

I just wish I'd ordered smaller ones, that way I could give some away without killing my whole supply. note to self: 10oz is way too big.

also, to anyone considering making this recipe, I'd suggest going with more than 3 bhuts. I think 4 woulda been perfect. I don't think it's hot enough. my wife thinks it's too hot though, so I guess it's a matter of opinion.

• mctiggs
    10 years ago

Oh man that looks so good. I would probably drop the brown sugar altogether - carrots are sweet enough. Just a personal preference tho.

I've only ever made "refrigerator" hot sauce, can you fill one of those bottles (5 oz), cap it off and leave it in the cupboard? I'd like to label them something witty like "Genital Balm" and give them away at Xmas.

When you buy sauce in those types of bottles, it's never sealed airtight, which leads me to believe it would be ok. Anyone done this?

• judo_and_peppers
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I'm not sure. this is my first time making "non-refrigerator" sauce. people say it's safe because of all the vinegar, but botulism is scary stuff, and a risk I am not willing to take. plus, the boiling helped soften up the carrots, which were still a bit chunky after it came out of the blender.

my wife was surprised the house didn't smell like pepper when she got home, that was her biggest concern with me boiling it. though I definitely did some coughing while standing in the kitchen.

• Armageddon
    10 years ago

nice work Judo looks tasty... I will be making some myself real soon starting to see a lot of colors in the garden's those fumes can knock you off your feet if you use to much but 4-5 shouldn't be to bad have you tried to powder any super hots yet? If you open the grinder to soon before the dust settles it can clear a whole room with quickness

• rodnebridges
    10 years ago

Go Judo !! I bet this is great !!! congrats !!!

• woohooman San Diego CA zone 10a
    10 years ago

Love roasting chiles! Gotta be careful on the small and thin- fleshed varieties -- can't really peel the skin if they get too charred. Looks like you did good. Looks delicious!

Kevin

• judo_and_peppers
    Original Author
    10 years ago

should I have peeled the skin on the bells that got charred? I thought that was supposed to be part of the flavor! again this is my first time doing this.

maybe for the next batch (which will be coming soon) instead of using tomato paste, I'll just grill up a (small) tomato like my dad does and throw it into the blender.

I've got 2 ripe brains, and another 2 that just started showing color today. maybe in a few days I'll roast them up and do basically the same sauce, see if I really do like brain strain better than bhuts.

more bhuts are showing color now. how hard is it to add them to the already made sauce to kick up the spice a lil bit? can I just blend it together and re-boil it? again, total noob here.

• seysonn
    10 years ago

Good recipe.

I use just red bell/sweet peppers, as filler. A LOT of it.
    This way, it is a "PEPPER" sauce. Plus, red peppers have better flavor and aroma than tomato or carrot. If nothing else I dump a lot of ground paprika. Also, No Garlic. I want it to be PEPPERi, with no taste and smell of anything else. I control the strength by the amount of red sweet peppers. I usually make mine with HABS, which is what I usually have or it is available.

10 years ago

Judo: The amount of char on your bells was probably fine, so peeling probably wasn't necessary. Bells have a thick skin though. So leaving it on sometimes leaves pieces of skin in your sauce. It all depends how smooth you want your finished product.

I usually leave the whole, char the hell out of them, put in a plastic bag(or a bowl with plastic wrap over it, sweat the peppers for 20 mins or so, then peel the skin with my hands, paper towel or tea towel.

Regarding adding more to existing sauce -- shouldn't be a problem if it's a fridge sauce and you reheat like you said.

Kevin

• judo_and_peppers
    Original Author
    10 years ago

the fridge sauce is easy, I don't think I'd even need to reheat. it's the stuff in the pantry right now that I'm concerned about.

also, I have some particularly delicious 7pot sauce in the fridge right now. I am considering making more of the exact same recipe, combining the two, then boiling and bottling, so I can give some away (my Trinidad-born in-laws are coming to town this weekend and I wanna melt their faces off). are there any safety concerns with bottling something that's been in the fridge for a week and half, if it and the bottles are boiled first?

10 years ago

I don't do any CANNING... yet.

You should visit the harvest forum --- they can answer all your preservation questions... too important to know exactly what you're doing when it comes to STORING at ROOM temps.

Kevin

• judo_and_peppers
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I made a second batch. this time I used 7 extremely ripe bhuts in 30 oz of sauce instead of 3. I roasted 6 of them and put one in raw, just in case the fire took away some of the burn (pun only partially intended).

I also added a few tabascos. one thing I don't like about the first one is it took so long for the heat to hit, whereas tabasco is a tip of the tongue type burn. I think they compliment each other well. this one's a scorcher.

this time I was also careful to record the amounts of each ingredient. frankly I think it would have tasted better if I just mixed it to taste, but the idea is to try to go for reproducibility, just in case I ever do wanna start selling this stuff.

the recipe was mostly the same but I skipped the tomato paste and the brown sugar this time, but I did use fresh garlic. I think I shoulda used the brown sugar, but didn't think about it.

I made a really wicked habanero sauce today too. the sauce is a bright orangy yellow. I'll post a recipe in the recipes thread. it's really good and extremely hot.

• seysonn
    10 years ago

I think, to give it a real lasting ROASTED flavor you just let some almost become charred. SOME, not all.

• judo_and_peppers
    Original Author
    10 years ago

seysonn,
    oh, some definitely became charred this time. I didn't pay as close of attention as I should have while they were on the grill, but maybe it's a good thing, because it's quite delicious, IMO. hotter than anything I've ever made before, but really delicious. I remember from a previous post you had said you don't like making pepper sauce with ingredients other than peppers. I gotta say I disagree with that mentality. when I make sauce I wanna make a delicious mix of different flavors to compliment foods. if I wanna add pure pepper flavor to something, I just cut up some peppers since I always have at least a few on hand.

• seysonn
    10 years ago

Judo,
    About the sauce comment, it was just my personal preference. I realize that we all have different tastes and styles.

Enjoy !

• judo_and_peppers
    Original Author
    10 years ago

agreed. varying personal preferences are what makes forum participation so enlightening. I always love hearing differing opinions. this is my first year growing. I'm here as a student, not a teacher.