Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
chucknorr

hiccups from peppers

chucknorr
16 years ago

I was wondering what the science is behind getting hiccups after eating a hot pepper. I would imagine that hiccups would differ in people based upon their tollerence for heat.

I personally hate getting hiccups, because I worry that they will never end :( There was a girl that had them for 6 years you know. I would have killed myself after the first week. lol

Comments (13)

• koreyk
    16 years ago

I never heard or read anything about getting hiccups from hot peppers. Can you site a source that says peppers or hot peppers can cause hiccups?

Here is a link that might be useful: what causes hiccups

• keithaxis
    16 years ago

I get them too. No source though... I cannot handle heat real well and the times that I bite too much off a fresh hot pepper I get the hiccups instantly...Like the original poster I also hate hiccups. But I get em every time I get too much pepper heat in my mouth...the hiccups leave with the heat in my case though..so maybe 5 to 15 minutes of them, depending on the pepper...

Keith in WA state

• shelbyguy
    16 years ago

I get violent and immediate hiccups if I swallow very hot peppers, raw. I can handle the heat just fine, but my belly tries to reject it :)

Nothing a little milk won't solve.

• John__ShowMe__USA
    16 years ago

Hiccups from pods I've heard many times mentioned before. Every now and then (rarely) my body decides to immediately upchuck jals when I first swallow. Just jals. It's happened 3 or 4 times in the last 10 years.

jt

• rdback
    16 years ago

....here's a reference, for what it's worth.

Here is a link that might be useful: Naga Jolokia, the Ghost Pepper

• cmpman1974
    16 years ago

JT, that would've happened to me this year to with my jalapenos, but mostly because of the thought a pepper weevil could be in them. :)

Chris

• lvben
    16 years ago

I would gladly trade my runny noses for hiccups. I LOVE peppers, but even in tiny amounts, hot peppers cause my noise to immediately start draining itself. Care must be taken to keep snot from dripping into my food.

• rthomp
    16 years ago

I've wondered about this too. Like others have mentioned, it only happens to me when I eat raw peppers. Normally I don't mind hiccups so much, but a few times after eating peppers they've been violent enough that it was hard to catch my breath. Very strange.

• John__ShowMe__USA
    16 years ago

> JT, that would've happened to me this year to with my jalapenos, but mostly because of the thought a pepper weevil could be in them. :)

Chris,

Did Allen ever post pics of his weevils? (at that other place) If not, I have them stored at my photo site as he sent them to me a couple years ago because he didn't have a place then. (can't find the thread)

Hic!

• roccsky63
    16 years ago

I like some heat in my food. Ive put peppers in just about everything but never got the hiccups from them. Ive had the hiccups after eating bread and wolfing down some pasta but never from eating hot peppers. Ive never had the Ghost pepper either so maybe im just missing all the fun

• miguel_sanchez
    16 years ago

I get hiccups majorly - i love the heat, but obviously my body disagrees!

• penguingardener
    16 years ago

Heh, in the 3rd trimester of my pregnancy, my baby consistently got hiccups whenever I ate anything with hot sauce. However, I didn't.

• the_pepper_guy
    16 years ago

I have never had the hiccups from eating hot peppers raw, but I have had my breath taken away by them. I remember the first time I ate a raw habanero. I chewed it up and swallowed, almost upchucking, and the frist breath I went to take after swallowing was not there. It is true that a hot pepper CAN take your breath away.

Sponsored
Preferred General Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Fairfax County's Specialized, Comprehensive Renovations Firm