Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
woohooman

End of Summer update and some very poor harvest pics

Just a small update and some harvest pics.

Note to self and others: Don't take pics with a dark blue background and keep fat fingers away from lens.

The jungle getting junglier.

Container plants

Anybody ever have a 7.5 foot Poblano?? Not sure if it has something to do with lighting. My 2 other Poblanos are tall(a tad more light, maybe an hour a day), but not almost 8 foot!

Chilhuacle Negros (color is off -- had to illuminate. Flesh is actually a dark chocolate color, almost black... hence, "Negro"

Poblanos

Guajillos

Yellow Bells

Red Bell

Red Bhuts (Pretty disappointed in the harvests of my Bhuts this season. I blame it on the late start -- we had an unusual very hot and arid spring and I think the month delay in starting prevented much blossom set. I should be pulling oodles by now. Still got plenty of season left but it's still frickin' hot!)

Some Chiles De Arboles I've been drying for a couple days

And a crapload of drying Pequins that I have to throw about 3 dozen in every couple days. 1st time growing--- kind of a PITA. Anybody have a copycat recipe for Tapatio?

Kevin

Comments (13)

• seysonn
    9 years ago

Nice haul, Kevin. From sweets to mild, to hots and super hots. Good combination.

End of summer in zone 10a, Ca, Sandie ? I don't believe it. You'll have probably another 2 months of summer. I am not talking about the calendar, of course.

The only things I got with some color are :shishito, Jalapeno and a few Thai hot and Cayennes. My Lemon Drops, Habs, Manzana, and everything else are still green. Our low tonight is 48F. No wonder why I cannot see some colors other than green. But I have been harvestin green ones like Cubanelle, HHW, Fresno, Pepperoncini for fresh eating.

• DMForcier
    9 years ago

Good pics!

Dark backgrounds produce excellent pics where the star is the subject, and you can add more light without blowing out the pic. But since you have to illuminate, no colored backgrounds. Black black non-reflective black. Like black velvet. Drop down to the fabric store and scarf a yard.

Love the giant poblano tree. That's one of the ones one would really hate to see gone with the frost.

Dennis

Yet another song of ice and fire...

• salevene
    9 years ago

Kevin, you don't dry in a dehydrator?

After a few sessions, I've figured out that a good 15+ hours really gets them to the best dry point. Here is a photo my my dried/ground scotch bonnets:

• tomt226
    9 years ago

Good lookin' plants. I'm trying to get a Pequin and a Tepin to cross by planting them side by side. No luck yet.
    Here's a good Pequin/Tepin salsa that I make all the time:

ý cup Pequins, fresh or dried, or 2/3 cup Thais, or Arbols. Break dried Arbols or ThaiâÂÂs into smaller pieces.
    6 garlic cloves, chopped
    1 teaspoon table salt
    2 tablespoons sweet paprika
    ý cup cider vinegar, lime juice, or Goya Bitter Orange juice
    1 cup water
    ü teaspoon xanthan gum, mixed with 2 tablespoons cold water

Place everything in the blender except the xanthan gum, and puree for two minutes. If your blender overheats before two minutes, let it cool and complete the processing time. It really needs to be smooth. Add the xanthan gum and blend for another 30 seconds. Pour into a bowl and let it sit at room temperature for at least an hour to allow trapped air bubbles to escape. If you donâÂÂt do this, the salsa may separate. ItâÂÂll hold in the fridge for nine months. If itâÂÂs too thick, add a little water.

• User
    9 years ago

Nice harvest Kevin. I'd love to have a jungle like yours!

Nice shots too (personally, I think the finger adds an artistic touch). What Dennis said regarding the dark background.

I'm really envious, a 7.5 foot Poblano, wow. My only Pobland is around 3.5 feet and earwigs have really taken a liking to it. Only harvested three non eaten pods.

Seeing those Chilhuacle Negros really makes me regret not growing them this year. They'd go great in a Mole with the Guajillos.

Sounds like you still have a few more months of growing there. Here we're dipping into the mid to low 40's overnight this week. Soon we'll be in the 30's. The end of my season is nigh.

I'm looking forward to more updates.

Bill

• northeast_chileman
    9 years ago

Great harvest, don't worry about the quality of the pics!

• judo_and_peppers
    9 years ago

I'd love to get my hands on some of the chihuacle negro seeds. a black pepper sounds intriguing.

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    9 years ago

They all look good to me!
    And those Bhuts have the proper shape! Nicely done!

Josh

• Sugi_C (Las Vegas, NV)
    9 years ago

Looks amazing, Kevin!

• User
    9 years ago

Looking good Kevin, man that's one big poblano plant.
    Supposed to go down to 36 tonight I dont think my plants are gonna make it.
    Randal

• DMForcier
    9 years ago

Oh sure they will. Just toss a sheet over them to keep any frost off.

• woohooman San Diego CA zone 10a
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks seysonn, Dennis, salavene, Tom, NECM, Bill , Josh, jason, Grace, and Randal. Some of you are being too kind on my picture taking skills...LOL, but thank you all for the kind words.

Seysonn: Yes. I'm talking Northern hemisphere...lol. Light and/or frost usually cuts my season towards the new year or so. Regarding yours, I'd say if you're getting ripe japs, the others aren't far behind. Hope you make it before it gets too chilly up there.

Dennis: Yeah. Love that Poblano "tree." Caging it was a PITA though.

Salavene: Nope. No dehydrator. All depends on the variety. Many thin fleshed i can air dry. Thick fleshed usually get a combination of air drying and a toaster oven that I set to 125F. Some varieties, like Ancho and Guajillo, like a bit of moisture left in them, so dehydrating might dry TOO much.

Tom: tanks for the recipe. Not sure if it's something I'm looking for though. The ingredients on a bottle of Tapatio call for Water, Red peppers, salt, spices, garlic, acetic acid, xanthan gum, sodium benzoate as a preervative. I'm "guessing" Arboles and pequins for the peppers only because Cholula lists them on their bottles. I know the two are different but I'm guessing they might use the same peppers but the OTHER ingredients differ.. Just wish I could find more info on recipes for some of these iconic Picante sauces. eg., types of peppers, ferment, no ferment, fresh or dried, how MUCH garlic, and the elusive "spices."

Bill: Sorry to hear about your Poblanos. From the looks of your pics though, looks like you still have more than enough to keep you happy for a little while. I think my Chilhuacles are from your stock... Thanks indirectly through Pam :) Let me know if you need some fresh seeds.

Jason: I'm not sure if these peppers are something you're looking for. They're very, very mild. And they're more of a drying mole pepper than anything else. But, let me know if you want some seeds.

Josh: Thanks. And Thanks for the seeds! I thought I had 2 Chocos and 2 red, but one of the chocos is actually a red. Only been 2 ripe chocos on that plant though.

Randal: yep. It's a beast. I'm just glad it's not like some bells I've grown in the past -- grow real tall but produce very little. This guy puts out some pods! And like Dennis said, just keep them from frost and they'll keep trucking for a while. I've read where avocado and citrus growers wet their trees down to deal with frost. Not sure if it's in the evening, morning, or when. But it might be something worth researching. Good luck.

Once again, thanks all!

Kevin

This post was edited by woohooman on Sat, Sep 13, 14 at 14:30

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    9 years ago

My pleasure! Great to see them growing!
    My Chocolate Ghost was a very poor producer.....

Josh

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths