Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
judo_and_peppers

the M.Y.F.F.O sauce

judo_and_peppers
10 years ago

I made a great sauce, so I figured I'd share the recipe. I'm calling it the Melt Your F.ing Face Off sauce. I had 9 bhuts left over from the last flush, and they'd been sitting in my fridge for a lil while and I was afraid they'd go bad and go to waste. but I only had a few bottles left. so I figured what the heck, I'm gonna make a ridiculously hot sauce. I was surprised by how good it is, assuming you like it hot.

BHUT JOLOKIA 9 peppers
RED BELL 2 peppers
TABASCO 9 peppers (edit)
WHITE VINEGAR 16 oz
DISTILLED WATER 6 oz
TOMATO PASTE 6 oz can
BROWN SUGAR 3 tsp
GARLIC POWDER 2 tsp
ONION POWDER 1 tsp
SALT 1 tsp
WORCESTERSHIRE SAUCE 1/4 tsp
DRIED GINGER 1/4 tsp

35 OZ PRE BOIL
30 OZ POST BOIL

according to my pH meter it came in around 3.6. I boiled it to 180 for a few minutes, and boiled the heck out of the bottles and caps, and the funnel.

it's pretty good, I like it a lot. the ginger and the worcestershire are just enough to add complexity, without overpowering the other flavors. and it's nice and thick too, it's not salsa thick but it's not thin like tabasco sauce.

I know a lot of you have a bunch of ripe bhuts laying around, I vote that this and the roasted ghost sauce are a good use for them.

oh and in case the name didn't clue you in, it's a scorcher. at least to me it is.

This post was edited by judo_and_peppers on Mon, Sep 30, 13 at 11:39

Comments (6)

• CanadianLori
    10 years ago

Thank you for posting this. I have ordered my woozy bottles and am starting my harvest so this post is very timely!
    Thank you
    Lori

• judo_and_peppers
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I had to go back and edit my post, I forgot to include tabasco peppers in the recipe. I use them because bhuts have that more afterburn like heat profile, and I like my hot sauces to have more of an immediate kick. tabasco has exactly that quick hit of heat that I was looking for, so I put in one tabasco per ghost, and it hits a lot harder, a lot faster.

• t-bob
    10 years ago

Just a small comment about PH. I help my friend bottle his sauce named CHICAOJI---(chee-COW-jee)---not super hot, but has unique ingredients and totally yummy

http://www.chicaoji.com/

and also do PH testing for each 4 1/2 gallon batch we make. The sauce passes to be shelf stable (doesn't need refrigeration after opening) in the eyes of USDA as well as Washington State. In order to get the "Shelf Stable", the PH has to come in at 3.30 or lower. This makes it great for restaurants, backpackers, long cruise boaters , hippies living without power, and many others. Just saying this is a great thing and if your sauce came down a mere .30 in PH it too would be able to not be refrigerated after opening.
    I am not a scientist and so I don't know how difficult that would be to bring it down, but it sure is nice to not have to keep putting the bottle back into the fridge each time after
    using.

keep up the good work.....and order some Chicaoji, it is yummy

• maple_grove_gw
    10 years ago

You should author a hot sauce cookbook. No joke. I tried to find one earlier this year and picked up one of the few available on Amazon - boy, it was pretty sad.

Maybe you could send out a compilation of all your sauces by e-mail at the end of the season. It can be hard to find the old, buried threads unless there's someone bumping them up.

• judo_and_peppers
    Original Author
    10 years ago

so with a pH of 3.3, it doesn't need to be refrigerated at all? and here my goal was to get it under 4.3 so it could stay on the shelf until it was opened, and I was quite content with that result. some of my others came in below 3.3, so that's good to know.

I have no desire to sell recipes, I get far too much enjoyment from giving them away on here for free.

but selling bottles of sauce on the other hand, is a bit more appealing. a good buddy of mine is close friends with the chef at a local restaurant. the chef was at my friends house and tried some of the sauce I gave him, now he wants to buy some for his restaurant. I might just go for it.

• t-bob
    10 years ago

I understand the giving away part, and that is what Randy did also with Chicaoji, but he wasn't even able to buy food because he was so broke, and we all told him he had to start selling the stuff....so it became his biz and is sorta working out, but IT IS a lot of work.

As far as PH, I can only say that is Washington State parameters....ok, gotta go bottle up now

good luck and have fun--Bob

Sponsored