Return to the Hot Pepper Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Can anyone identify this pepper?

Posted by northerner_on Z5A ONCanada (My Page) on
Fri, Sep 9, 11 at 1:50

These seeds for these pepper plants were found in a market in Barbados. The friend we sent them to me said they were called Bonnie or Bonny (I don't know which) peppers, but I cannot find any information on such a pepper. Any ideas? They are suposed to be hot peppers. Thank you.

Bonnie Pepper

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Can anyone identify this pepper?

They look like Scotch Bonnet peppers. Widely used in the Caribbean. A variety of Chili Pepper. Used to make Jamican Jerk Sauce.

o

Two entries for Bonney:
See below link.

Kinda like a Congo Trinidad...

Here is a link that might be useful: Chile Database-no pics

o

aka Scotch Bonnet Peppers I believe.

o

Those are gorgeous pods.
Bonnie is definitely a slang term for scotch bonnet used in Jamaica and I'm sure Barbados too, (According to the book, Food Culture in the Caribbean).
If you intend to save extra seeds for next year let me know, I'd love to trade.

Here is a link that might be useful: Check out PEPPERMEISTER for hot pepper gardening tips, recipes and chile info

o

Be careful with those, Scotch Bonnets have a Scoville rating of 100,000 to 350,000.

o

Thnk you for all your replies and Smokemaster, thanks for that splendid database. Of course I have it already stashed in my favourites. So yes, it is really Bonney pepper as they told her in the market in Barbados.

Barefootgardener, these are not Scotch Bonnets. I have grown SB's for several years, have a few plants loaded right now, and the shape is completely different, and the way the pods are arranged is also different.

Peppermeister, I will certainly be saving seeds for next year and will probably have enough for a trade. I use most of my hot peppers for hot pepper sauces of two main varieties. Others are pickled and used for general cooking and seasonings. I will make a note of your request and contact you when I'm ready to start trading. Some are already promised.

Thanks for the warning Donn. You can never be too careful with these.

o

Bonnie is also a nursery label from the sources of many peppers available at Walmart, Home Depot, Lowe's, etc. Bonnie plants are common in our area of Minnesota. They will have the name of the pepper as well but they are grown at Bonnie nurseries.

o

I have some that look the same with those big sized leaves at the bottom and the more pumpkin look. A guy today told me that he thought they were safi red scotch bonnet peppers. Mine came from the carribean as well, directly not bought seeds. What do yours taste like?

o

Sorry I forgot to put up pics. Here are mine.

Here is a link that might be useful: Photobucket

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hot Pepper Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here