Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jefferyl_gw

Minimum Temp for Peppers

jefferyl
15 years ago

I have a handful of pepper plants, what is the minimum temperature that they can survive?

I have Poblanos, Habaneros, Red Habs, assorted bells, Jalapenos, and a Tabasco.

Should I build a little green house or something for them?

Comments (21)

• t-bob
    15 years ago

dude, if you live in harbor city, ca, like it looks might be so if that is your zip code, then i think you will have no problems. i think people in california have pepper plants live thru the winter. maybe people from cal. can chime in

• noisebeam
    15 years ago

A solid deep freeze into the ground can/will kill them, but many varieties (bells, jal, anaheim) can take frost and grow back in the spring. Other varieties (hab, cayenne) are more sensitive.

If the forecast is around 30-34 low then cover them with a blanket.

Set tubs of water in the sun - ideally sealed in black containers.

If lower than 30F cover with a heavy blanket and place tubs of warmed water next to and underneath blankets

Different parts of the garden will get colder than others.

I have several plants survive three days of 28F and lower in a row with no cover other than a light blanket.

Al

• shelbyguy
    15 years ago

As a zone 5a grower, I've gotten to know frost damage.

The most cold-tolerant pepper I've grown so far, is Rocoto. Hands down the winner in cold tolerance to my experience.

If the temps drop below 50f, just about anything else will stall.

• jefferyl
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I don't think I have ever seen frost here. I guess I will see how they do.

• jesse_2008
    15 years ago

T-Bob, You mentioned something about Harbor City Ca, Well guess what I also Live right next door "San Pedro"

• smokemaster_2007
    15 years ago

I live in the San Fernando Valley (about an hour away) and 99% of my plants do ok outside all winter.
    Jalapenos and some others fruit year round.
    I know a few of my plants died at anything lower than 55 degrees-Explosive Ember,Red Hot thai,some habaneros and ornamentals.
    I think too much water is the hardest thing on plants during cool weather.
    I loose plants when it rains and gets cold.
    If it rains but stays fairly warm they do ok.I think they survive rain or cold but can't handle both at the same time.
    My Habanero Arbol is going on 6 yrs. old.I have several plants that are 2-3 yrs. old out there.I grow in containers only.

• jesse_2008
    15 years ago

How can I put my E-Mail address on the Garden Web so others can send an E-Mali to me??

• smokemaster_2007
    15 years ago

go to home page.at the bottom it says members pages.
    click on it then click on edit your page.don't forget after typing your e mail address in the boxes to go to the bottom where it says to let members see your address

• Paradise-Peppers
    9 years ago

I am up north In Paradise California and It snows Here in December,January,February-and sometimes even as late as late as March and Early April..Planted a Cheyenne and Jalapeno and the Deer ate the Cheyenne the top and almost to nothing and its a 2 foot bush the weather generally turns cold in December..will they survive in mid day temperatures in the 40s and night temperatures in High 30s

• DMForcier
    9 years ago

Frost, which can form above freezing, will kill the leaves. The roots and stem will survive so long as they don't freeze.

Dennis

• hotpepperlover
    6 years ago

I am in zone 9 I think (NYC) and I just bought a small green house to put up my peppers. I have about 17 plants of assorted hot peppers in different stages of growth.

I was wondering what type of heat I can put in the greenhouse. I was thinking solar heat. Any suggestion? Thanks

• esox07 (4b) Wisconsin
    6 years ago

I dont think you have any zone 9 in NY to include NYC. Zone 9 would put you in an area that would be close to allowing year round growing without the need for shelter.

If you can afford large enough solar panels and batteries, then heating with solar would be great, but it also depends on how big of a green house you would need to heat.

• hotpepperlover
    6 years ago

Thanks for your response. I thought I was in Zone 9from ordering things online. What zone am I in in NYC then, Thanks.

• esox07 (4b) Wisconsin
    6 years ago

Check this link. Just punch in your zip code or find your zone on the map:

http://planthardiness.ars.usda.gov/PHZMWeb/

• Jena Troelsgaard
    6 years ago

I'm in Scandinavia. Zone 8b or something which doesn't mean much cos we CAN get up to -20C if the winds are coming from Russia. The problem the further north you get (and I am the equivalent of mid Canada) is that we don't have a lot of daylight during the winter. The Gulf stream makes the scales you work by in the Americas not quite as good here. It's a lot warmer than it should be.

I came here cos I am trying to overwinter a couple of pepper plants out on my closed balcony which is currently 10C (50F). 10C is nice cos no aphids in site.. but obviously the leaves have mostly died now. Funny that I still have a leftover cherry tomato out there that doesn't look great but the newest shoots are not saggy and have flowers. lol it get's up to 15C on that balcony the few hours the sun is on that side (south). Well now anyway. February is supposed to be our coldest month.

This was useful for me.. so I decided to semi-necro it. Thanks all.

• Saltysea (Oz)
    6 years ago

I know this is an old thread but Smokemasters comments were really helpful.

Below 55f (around 12c) and especially

"I think too much water is the hardest thing on plants during cool weather.
    I loose plants when it rains and gets cold.
    If it rains but stays fairly warm they do ok.I think they survive rain or cold but can't handle both at the same time."

Is really good and explains what happened to my plants last year!

Thanks Smokemaster :)

• esox07 (4b) Wisconsin
    6 years ago

I haven't seen Smokemaster on here for eons. Maybe not since the HOUZZ takeover of Gardenweb.

• Saltysea (Oz)
    6 years ago

Thanks for the reply Esox07.

Thats a long time alright.

• the_northeast_chileman
    6 years ago

Smoke has had a number of medical issues for a few years now, namely two bouts of cancer/chemo and ongoing backlash from it. Below was posted this morning.

• Saltysea (Oz)
    6 years ago

Wishing you the best Smokemaster. Life really sucks sometimes.

Sponsored