Return to the Hot Pepper Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Minimum Temp for Peppers

Posted by jefferyl 90710 (My Page) on
Mon, Sep 15, 08 at 4:37

I have a handful of pepper plants, what is the minimum temperature that they can survive?

I have Poblanos, Habaneros, Red Habs, assorted bells, Jalapenos, and a Tabasco.

Should I build a little green house or something for them?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Minimum Temp for Peppers

Freezing (32F) will kill them.

o

dude, if you live in harbor city, ca, like it looks might be so if that is your zip code, then i think you will have no problems. i think people in california have pepper plants live thru the winter. maybe people from cal. can chime in

o

A solid deep freeze into the ground can/will kill them, but many varieties (bells, jal, anaheim) can take frost and grow back in the spring. Other varieties (hab, cayenne) are more sensitive.

If the forecast is around 30-34 low then cover them with a blanket.

Set tubs of water in the sun - ideally sealed in black containers.

If lower than 30F cover with a heavy blanket and place tubs of warmed water next to and underneath blankets

Different parts of the garden will get colder than others.

I have several plants survive three days of 28F and lower in a row with no cover other than a light blanket.

Al

o

As a zone 5a grower, I've gotten to know frost damage.

The most cold-tolerant pepper I've grown so far, is Rocoto. Hands down the winner in cold tolerance to my experience.

If the temps drop below 50f, just about anything else will stall.

o

I don't think I have ever seen frost here. I guess I will see how they do.

o

T-Bob, You mentioned something about Harbor City Ca, Well guess what I also Live right next door "San Pedro"

o

I live in the San Fernando Valley (about an hour away) and 99% of my plants do ok outside all winter.
Jalapenos and some others fruit year round.
I know a few of my plants died at anything lower than 55 degrees-Explosive Ember,Red Hot thai,some habaneros and ornamentals.
I think too much water is the hardest thing on plants during cool weather.
I loose plants when it rains and gets cold.
If it rains but stays fairly warm they do ok.I think they survive rain or cold but can't handle both at the same time.
My Habanero Arbol is going on 6 yrs. old.I have several plants that are 2-3 yrs. old out there.I grow in containers only.

o
Unable to post E-MAIL address

How can I put my E-Mail address on the Garden Web so others can send an E-Mali to me??

o

go to home page.at the bottom it says members pages.
click on it then click on edit your page.don't forget after typing your e mail address in the boxes to go to the bottom where it says to let members see your address

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hot Pepper Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here