Return to the Hot Pepper Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Round Cascabel, Anybody ?

Posted by seysonn 7b WA/HZ 1 (My Page) on
Fri, Sep 20, 13 at 4:39

I am planning on planting some Cascabels next season. I got the seeds from dried Cascabels sold in the supermarket. They are round and have dark purple color.

I have done some search and have found out that Cascabel is RED when ripe but somehow instead of drying red, they get dark purple. But that is not my concern.As I intend to use them fresh or pickled.

I am interested in the texture and meat of the fresh pepper. I am hoping that they are as meaty as cherry peppers( less heat of course). That is why, I am looking for your feedback on this.

One more Thing: I like it, because it does not grow real huge, since I want to plant it in a 2 gal. container. I read that it grows shorter than 2 ft tall. Is that right?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Round Cascabel, Anybody ?

They grew shooter marble sized for me.
In the sun they were mahogony colored when ripe,dark red/brown.
Never ate them fresh.I dry them whole for rubs etc.
Not tall plants in pots but wide.bushy.

o

Thanks smokemaster,

The ones that I got from store are the size of ping pong ball.
I have grown some(I think) some years ago that were elongated and changed color from green to yellow, orange and red. Maybe they were some other variety.
I have also seen that , in addition to drying, they are also pickled.

o

Ping pong balls a pretty big for Cacsabell.

I've seen that there are different versions though that taste pretty similar.
One I grew was called Cascabell Bola,It had oblong pods that were slightly bigger.
Probably a landrace thing.
Seems there are a couple others too that I can't remember names right now.
I find they are either VERY prolific or a total pain to grow.
I think it doesn't like heat but likes sun a lot.
here I have to use shade cloth for certain plants.
Might be my soil mix too.
I grow in pots.Southern exposure.

o

Thanks a lot, Master

Where I am, luckily, we do not have hot weather problem. So that is good new. I am going to use it for fresh eating and fermented pickling. I might try to dry some too.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hot Pepper Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here