Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cjohansen_gw

Who visited my pepper?

cjohansen
10 years ago

So, earlier this summer I noticed that pepper plants (mostly Hungarian Hot Wax) in part of my raised bed had lots of small round holes in them. At first I thought "ah, maybe the rain". But after a while I realized something must be making these holes. However, as it hasn't been any problem with my fruit I haven't cared.

Until I found this Poblano:

What's that? I cut it open, only to find a perfectly fine pepper, no visitors inside.

I also found a Hungarian Hot Wax pepper with the same kind of damage the other day. Here is a photo of the HHW plants with lots of similar holes in the leaves. Doesn't seem to bother the plants, though.

So, does anyone know what this is?

Comments (12)

• kuvaszlvr
    10 years ago

I'd like to hear some theories on this as my friend and I are both having the same issues. Only bugs I've been seeing are grasshoppers, and they usually eat my tomato foliage. I've got tons of lizards this year, but that doesn't seem like something a lizard would do. It's so weird because the surface is like it's been cauterized, no rot at all, just a dry, apparently healed surface. Unfortunately I've been getting it mostly on the fruits I've got marked to collect seeds from, so I've started leaving my bags on after the fruit sets until it's ripe. Very frustrating.
    Pam

• cjohansen
    Original Author
    10 years ago

The only living creatures I've seen in my raised bed are various flying insects, small flies, bees and so on. I also have some spider webs on a couple of plants, and there has been som caterpillars on my porch, but as far as I know, not in the raised bed. No grasshoppers.

Other than that, I live in an area where there are no lizards, no badgers, no sizeable animals of any kind that could get to my peppers. Worst I've since on my porch - once - is a slug. But only one, and after heavy rain.

To make things even more mysterious, my raised bed is mostly enclosed by my portable greenhouse almost all the time now, as the weather is getting real autumny-y.

• andyandy
    10 years ago

Have you had a lot of rain? Slugs maybe?

• kuvaszlvr
    10 years ago

not really, we had what we consider a lot of rain for August, but that's cos we rarely get rain in August. But it was only for a couple of weeks, and I'd think rain would cause rot... haven't seen any slugs. Mine are in raised beds too... and my friend's are in raised beds also... that's interesting.
    Pam

• cjohansen
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Not a lot of rain here, but these peppers are protected under a hoophouse anyway.

• DMForcier
    10 years ago

I'd say damage from an insect - some time ago. The wound has healed and likely grown larger as the pepper has grown. I've had similar damage. The main result seems to be that it allows rainwater inside the pod, leading to fungus infestation.

And no, lizards don't eat vegetables. They eat the things that eat vegetables. That you see a bunch of lizards means that you have a bunch of bugs.

Dennis

• kuvaszlvr
    10 years ago

hahaha, I don't need no lizards to tell me I have a bunch of bugs! ;-) if I go out and touch my Hibiscus plants a cloud of white forms. At least the lady bugs have gotten most of my aphids. But the grasshoppers are bad too.
    Pam

• SgtPepper
    10 years ago

I had wormholes in about a dozen peppers this year. Not bad, because I have quite a lot. It destroys the pepper and by ripening time the afflicted pepper will drop. When the fruit casing is breached in mid-growth, it's over. I think it is caused by a small white worm that turns into one of those little moths.

• User
    10 years ago

Earwigs.

I have a problem with them yearly.

• seysonn
    10 years ago

I think, that perfectly round hole is not the result of some creature trying to eat the pepper, but rather. it is drilled specifically to get in, maybe to lay eggs. I have seen bumble bees do this in wood.

• jean001a
    10 years ago

Earwigs make raggedy small holes

4-legged creatures would do more extensive damage.

Slugs are messy eaters. Never make tidy round holes.

Most likely a caterpillar.

Some insects dine at night. You won't always find the culprit during the day.

This post was edited by jean001a on Sat, Sep 7, 13 at 20:08

• sunnibel7 Md 7
    10 years ago

Army worms? I find them in my peppers sometimes, they make holes like that. A minor nuisance so far.

Sponsored