Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
casey87_gw

Identify the fake Bhut Jolokia (pic)

casey87
13 years ago

My alleged eBay "Bhut Jolokia" have ripened. They look like big red Habaneros. Ripen from bright light green to orange to red.

Looks more Caribbean than Assam.

Any ideas what these are?

Comments (26)

• romy6
    13 years ago

Looks like hybrid habs. They are flooding the ebay market. I have seen numerous pics of these. What a shame. Order from new mexico state university if you want the real MCcoy.

• willardb3
    13 years ago

You will be happier if you buy no more chile seeds on EBay but find a reputable chile seed purveyor.

• smokemaster_2007
    13 years ago

Send me an E Mail.

• rick_in_va
    13 years ago

You absolutely cannot rely on Ebay. Seed exchanges are way more reliable, or the reputable chile seed vendors.

• absolute_skeletor
    13 years ago

I think they look cool at least..I will help you out..
    Ill will trade you 5 jolokia seeds for 5 seeds of whatever that is..

Get back to me.

• peterj88
    13 years ago

I had suspicion about my plants too. Now I know mine are also not Bhut Jolokia since they look a lot like the photo posted above. I didn't order from eBay but from tradewindsfruitstore.com. Needless to say I won't go there again. Though the chilli looks and tastes like a Habanero, the plants seem to grow like a Bhut Jolokia; taller and larger than my previous Habanero plants and didn't fruit at all until cooler Fall season, which is consistent with what I've read online. It must be a cross betwen Jolokia & Habanero (a Bhut Jobanero?!) as romy6 mentioned.

I bought several other seeds as shown below. If you can spare some Bhut Jolokia seeds and would like anything you see, please let me know.

{{gwi:1217352}}

• shoontok
    13 years ago

Most definintely a Habanagajolokia. It is native to several islands in the pacific.

• Alan195262
    9 years ago

I bought some seeds about 6 months ago and finally picked my first ghost pepper. I seriously have my doubts about it. I touched the pepper with my finger and then put my finger to my mouth. Shouldn't it have been hot. It took along time for the pepper to mature.

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    9 years ago

Not a Ghost, Alan.

Josh

• kuvaszlvr
    9 years ago

deleted

This post was edited by kuvaszlvr on Tue, Oct 14, 14 at 15:43

• DMForcier
    9 years ago

Looks like a Big Sun Habanero (a great pepper), but red instead of yellow.

Or could be a Tr. Congo, though I don't remember them clustering like that.

Dennis

This post was edited by DMForcier on Tue, Oct 14, 14 at 14:45

• Mecdave Zone 8/HZ 9
    9 years ago

Guys & Gals, this is a 4 yr old thread. Check Alan's post for the recent request.

• kuvaszlvr
    9 years ago

OMG! DAVE! I usually always check dates but didn't.. sheesh, I feel stupid.

• northeast_chileman
    9 years ago

Pam, if I had a buck for every time I responded without chekin' I could buy my super hots off eBay.

Wait a minute, I just did!> 100 Fresh Trinidad Scorpion Moruga Peppers Pods

• kuvaszlvr
    9 years ago

hahaha, Thanks chileman! I still feel stupid... but not quite as bad. ;-)
    Pam

• northeast_chileman
    9 years ago

Wait a minute Pam, have you ever read of a satisfactory buy off eBay?

Sill feel stupid?

• kuvaszlvr
    9 years ago

Actually, I have. I think it's terra time tide. I got her name from Smoke years ago. I've actually got good seeds from her in the past. and when I had issues with the Choc. cherry's not germinating, she sent me more seeds, still issues, so she figured her seeds were bad so she got new plants and bought 3 for me and sent them to me. Great lady. But, yeah, other than her, not much good.
    Pam

• judo_and_peppers
    9 years ago

my first year I bought seeds on ebay. all grew true. hell hot peppers was the name of the ebay store.

• DMForcier
    9 years ago

Oh crap. I missed the date too.

Let's do the Time Warp again!

• seysonn
    9 years ago

Back to Alan's Oct 14,14 photo.

I bought a plant this past spring , tagged as "Red Habanero". The fruit shape is just like Alan's. The pods are about 2 1/4" long and pointy, nothing like my orange habs. And they have more heat than orange habs. I don't mind if it is an orphan or what. Better than orange habs.

• kuvaszlvr
    9 years ago

DMF!!

• DMForcier
    9 years ago

"Well I didn't make him for you."

• StupidHotPeppers
    9 years ago

That looks a lot like my Caribbean Red Habanero's

• kuvaszlvr
    9 years ago

DMF.. Huh? (my grin was meant how much I liked the Rocky Horror reference)
    Pam

• DMForcier
    9 years ago

That's a quote from Frankenfurter, when Janet says, in reference to Rocky, that she's not into big muscles.

Are we doing the Time Warp now?

• kuvaszlvr
    9 years ago

BWAHAHAHAHAHA! I COMPLETELY missed that reference... and it still took me awhile trying to figure out what you meant... yep, we're definitely doing the Time Warp!
    Pam

Sponsored
Premier Home Services, Inc
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars19 Reviews
Loudoun County Complete Turn-Key Contracting Solutions