Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
andyandy_gw

Next years crop on the way

andyandy
10 years ago

I'm not sure what I'm going to get but I took seeds from the super hot pack I ordered in the mail (ghosts, scorpions, yellow ghosts, diff col 7 pots) and got them going. I now have 12 seedlings going. I'll keep them over a heat mat and keep them in the window all winter. They wont grow fast but I'll be ahead of the game come spring. Even in winter if it is sunny I can open my front door and the sun coming through the glass of the storm door warms up the house. I can place them in the sun to help them out to. I was very please with the germination rate. They really popped up after our last bi9g rain.

Comments (8)

• dbuchner
    10 years ago

Wow! Go you! I wont be starting until December on a few. The rest start in mid January for me. I am planning on over wintering a select few this year. I have already planned out my garden though. I gained what i think is an abundance of knowledge this year compared to most years. Best of luck

• andyandy
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you, I figured start now while it was still warm enough to germinate without the heat mat. I was surprised how many more popped up after it dropped into the 60s. Good luck to you too.

• barbge
    10 years ago

Cool. I'm glad I'm not the only one then. A couple weeks back I figured if I have to deal with 95 degree days in September, at least I might as well start some peppers pre-winter. :)

• judo_and_peppers
    10 years ago

you're gonna wanna consider separating those guys soon. not yet, but soon.

• barbge
    10 years ago

Yeah Judo. I can't decide if I want to separate them or just pinch off 5. I only planted 6 seeds right out of a raw Thai pepper that fell out while I was chopping it and I really wasn't expecting all of them to sprout.

• judo_and_peppers
    10 years ago

ahh I see. in the OP you mentioned several varieties of peppers, so I assumed they might have been of different varieties, all of which you wanted to keep.

still my advice would be to separate them into different pots, and in a month decide which one looks the strongest, and keep that one.

next year I'll be starting all my seeds in plastic cups, one per cup, so I won't have to go thru what I did this year, with multiple seeds in one pot, and me being too much of a sissy to risk separating them (I didn't realize how hardy peppers really were), and now it's too late, so I have some very root bound plants 2 per pot, and I can't afford 10 gallon pots. I'll just consider it a learning experience, and do it right next year.

edit: I just realized you didn't write the OP. my bad.

This post was edited by judo_and_peppers on Fri, Sep 20, 13 at 15:33

• don555
    10 years ago

Andyandy, I think you are kind of early if you are starting for next year. Last year I started some superhots in early or mid-July and grew them indoors under lights during the winter... they ripened around February and I picked the last of them in early April. That was in my basement, which is cool during winter. You are going to have find ways to slow their development so they don't get too advanced in the many months between now and Spring.

• judo_and_peppers
    10 years ago

is "too advanced" a bad thing, as long as there's good air circulation to keep the stems from being too weak?

why did you pick "the last ones" in april? did they die off after that?

Sponsored
Third-Generation Family-Owned Masonry Supplier in Virginia