Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
green_passion

Why prefer Castile soap for aphids?

green_passion
9 years ago

Infestation of aphids on my plants is not serious but I'd like to eradicate them completely. I have read about Castile soap, dishwasher liquid and neem oil. Many people preferred Castile soap more than dishwasher liquid and detergent. So I bought one liter of organic Castile liquid soap from Mother Natures Goodies. I used two types of dishwasher liquid, one of them is very light and the other is stronger it burns the tender leaves.

The light one contains:
"5-15% Anionic surfactants (Sodium Laureth Sulfate).

Also contains: Aqua, Sodium Chloride, Glycerin, Sodium Cumenesulfonate, Citric Acid, Propylene Glycol, Propyl Gallate, color (CI 19140), neutral (pH around 6)"

I made the recipe 3 ml of this light dishwasher liquid, 5 ml neem oil and 1 liter warm water. Neem oil is not completely infused, It built-up grease to the wall of the bottle. This recipe does not kill aphids immediately; it prevents aphids from sucking sap and stopped reproduction/sterile aphids. It'd eradicate aphids slowly.

Strong dishwasher liquid with the same ratio infused neem oil completely, it looks so nice but it burns leaves as I mentioned.

Today I tried Organic Castile liquid soap. It looks so light; I made the recipe 5 ml Castile soap, 5 ml neem oil and 1 liter warm water. The neem oil was not infused completely just like the light dishwasher liquid recipe.

Here I have a couple of questions.

Why many people preferred Castile liquid soap?

It is good from environmental point of view but in this case I like better recipe.

Could it be better recipe without neem oil?

How many milliliters of Castile liquid soap should be added to one liter of water?

What is the easiest way to know the quantity of Castile liquid soap is enough?

Sometime milliliter measurement could be wrong according to the quality of the Castile liquid soap and neem oil. I bought the neem oil from Germany it was two bottles one of them is so good it almost eradicated all the aphids and it also had strong garlic smell. The other bottle had less garlic smell and less effective. The one I bought from Mother Natures Goodies is also less garlic smell.

It is not easy to buy some quality controled products of neem oil and Castile Liquid soap online. Next time I do not buy Castile Liquid Soap, I will make it at home it is easy; you all knew that I hope :)

Your opinions are welcome and expecting some well explained posts.

Veto

What a long post :(

Comments (5)

Sponsored
Schlabach Woodworks
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars16 Reviews
Franklin County's Reclaimed Wood Professionals