Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
2ajsmama

How dry do the peppers have to be to save seed?

2ajsmama
9 years ago

I've got some Hinkelhatz (not the bagged blooms) that I picked a while ago, just 6 or so, didn't use but left out on the counter so they're wrinkled and a little soft (not crisp, but not rotting). I want to save the seed from these, should I cut them open now and spread the seeds out on a paper towel, or let them dry a bit more, maybe put in dehydrator first? I have 1 Douglah from last year that I left out, it's hard and dry now, I don't know if I can get seeds from that.

I have a bunch of really dried peppers from hanging plants in the basement (with dehumidifier going during spring/fall) that DH finally took down, stripped the peppers and put them in ziploc bags. I don't know if that's the best way to store them, if they'd good for seeds or might be good for cooking (obviously they weren't washed before they dried). Should I put those peppers in a vacuum sealed container(s) or put some kind of dessicant (what's food-safe?) with them? I think they're still a little pliable, not brittle.

Comments (6)

Sponsored
Capri Home Renovations
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars33 Reviews
Reputable Home Renovation Company Serving Northern Virginia