Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
willardb3

Wikipedia and Chiles

willardb3
9 years ago

I insist that Wikipedia is unvetted crap, particularly on the issue of chiles and on most other subjects as well. Both the entries on guajillo and chipotle are completely incorrect.

If you want to cite some authority , find one that is accurate and not Wikipedia.

Comments (22)

• kuvaszlvr
    9 years ago

well for geology, geochemistry, geophysics, and usually geography it's pretty good. Those are the main topics I use it for, I usually use chile websites for chile info.
    Pam

• tomt226
    9 years ago

kuvaszir,
    Heresy. The bible has all the answers, and if'n you don't find it there, the Utube gods will provide...especially about geology and paleontology... ;-)

• DMForcier
    9 years ago

I've said it before and I'll say it again.

Complaining helps no one. If what is on Wikipedia is incorrect, FIX IT! That's what a wiki is all about.

Just be prepared to cite some authority for your statements.

Dennis

• kuvaszlvr
    9 years ago

Ok, what's happened here??? Tom has taken over Dennis' job as smarta**? ;-) Very good point Dennis.
    Pam

• ottawapepper
    9 years ago

What is this strange stuff geology, geochemistry, geophysics you speak of?

I'm going to have to consult the only trusted sources of information on the Internet; The Onion and The National Enquirer.

• kuvaszlvr
    9 years ago

No need to bother your little head Bill, it's technical stuff, you Canadians wouldn't understand. ;-) Honestly, I think the Onion is some of the best news you can get on the web.
    Pam

• ottawapepper
    9 years ago

LMAO @ Pam.

Regarding The Onion, I'm with you.

Either great mind think alike or fools seldom differ ;-)

Bill

• tomt226
    9 years ago

kuvaszvir
    I think aliens are controlling Wiki.
    They DID build the pyramids, you know.
    Who knows when some of the seeds we trade start growing these really big pods, and you start feeling sleepy...

• kuvaszlvr
    9 years ago

Yep, those aliens are crafty creatures. plus, my husband said he was flipping around the channels and came across the show, and they were saying how it wasn't a meteor that took out the dinosaurs but that the aliens nuked them... we may be in trouble.....

Bill.... LOVE it, I've heard the first part a lot, but I've never heard the second part... that's great.
    Pam

This post was edited by kuvaszlvr on Sun, Sep 14, 14 at 12:01

• northeast_chileman
    9 years ago

When researching the original Guajillo pepper thread I found around 75% of the URL's reported it was a dried Mirasol beside the WiKi article.

What-cha gonna do, fight city hall?

And you're right about the use of chipoltle which I didn't know until I researched your meaning of it above. So is Chipotle Meco correct for smoke dried Jalapenos? TIA

• tomt226
    9 years ago

Pam,
    LOL. Look around for "America Unearthed." Since yer one of them high-forehead geologists, you'll get a real laugh/
    BTW, this guy is a "forensic geologist," whatever the hell that is...

• ottawapepper
    9 years ago

northeast_chileman,

How's that saying go... tell a lie often enough and people will believe it's true.

TomT226,

Pam is "high-forehead"???
    I always thought she had a high hair line??? Either way, I dunnot uderstand them there ghostologist types.

• kuvaszlvr
    9 years ago

Tom...yep, I've seen it. Actually the head of the geology dept at TU was talking about getting a forensic geochemistry degree started... Told him I'd be interested, it never came to pass... thing is... a lot of geochemistry is forensic... so I'm not sure what they are aiming at.

Bill. ;-) honestly I never considered myself either. ;-)

Pam

• tomt226
    9 years ago

Pam,
    I guess if you consider the K/T & Permian extinction events a "crime." I always thought "earth sciences" were all forensic as they all deal with past events, with vulcanism being the exception...

• DMForcier
    9 years ago

There are various forms of vulcanism.

• tomt226
    9 years ago

Dennis,
    Yah, I've had "pyroclastic flows" from my neither regions after prolonged intake of salsa experiments...

• OKgrowin
    9 years ago

i have been updating the list article some, its easy to figure out if you are ok with formatting documents.. uploading the pictures is annoying

https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=List_of_Capsicum_cultivars&action=history

• DMForcier
    9 years ago

Looks like your pics didn't clear the commons and have been removed. It's not easy to add pics to commons unless you took - and thus own - them.

But keep it up! That is the only way a wiki improves.

Dennis

• OKgrowin
    9 years ago

yeah i got permission from pepperlover and buckeye to use their pictures on the wiki, but all the copyright crap you have to put in is a lot of work

• DMForcier
    9 years ago

IIRC they require that you enter the email address of the owner so they can confirm your permission. I've only had to do it once or twice, but yeah, it's a pain.

Dennis

• ottawapepper
    9 years ago

OKgrowin,

Good on you for making an effort to clean things up on Wikipedia.

On the slim chance that you could use any of the shots I post I'd be happy to give you a copyright release.

Bill

• DMForcier
    9 years ago

Me too.

I mean for the ones I didn't "borrow"....

This post was edited by DMForcier on Thu, Sep 18, 14 at 0:18

Sponsored
Cellko Construction Group
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars3 Reviews
Licensed General Contractor Serving Loudoun County