Return to the Hot Pepper Forum

o
5th Annual Tomato & Pepper Seed Exchange

Posted by hmacdona Zone 3a Calgary (My Page) on
Tue, Sep 18, 12 at 10:05

Hi everyone,

As a Canadian member, I am unable to post this note in the exchange forum. I do hope you'll be ok with me posting here as I wanted to extend this offer to the US and International gardenweb members as I did last year.

I am hosting another Tomato and Pepper seed swap that will include members from a few different forums.

Here are the guidelines we will follow for this swap. PLEASE MAKE SURE YOU READ ALL OF THE GUIDELINES.

Seeds must be received by me no later than November 15th, so for those that live in Canada, you must mail your envelope no later than November 1st.. For those in the US and overseas, you need to allow at least 3 weeks mailing time, so please have seeds in the mail by the third week of October.

You can send "named varieties" of tomatoes or peppers (or both). Do not include mixes or seeds labeled "granny's mystery mix" or unnamed bell peppers or anything like that. I cannot, in fairness, send mixed or unknown packs of seed back to people that followed the instructions and only sent in "named varieties". If I receive anything like this, the seeds will be returned to you unless they are clearly marked as bonuses.

If you are sending hybrid seeds to exchange, only F1 seeds from a commercial source are acceptable. Your source for the F1 seeds must be clearly labeled on the envelope/seed packet. Do not send in seeds you have collected from a hybrid plant. They will not grow true to the original parent plant. If you are unsure if the seed you have collected is from a hybrid, please do your research online before mailing in your seeds.

A minimum of 10 seeds per packet. A maximum of 5 packets of the same seed. An overall maximum of 40 packets per person. Please stick to this limit. You must put your seeds into individual packets. I will not do this for you. Every year there�s a few people that push past this limit and include a note that says "I hope you don�t mind�and by the way�I�d like only rare seeds in return"�LOL. Sorry folks, that won�t work. It�s just not fair to everyone else. Bonus tomato & pepper seeds are of course, more than welcome. I just asked that bonuses be clearly labeled as such.

Please ensure seed packets are clearly marked with the name, and whether they are heirloom, OP (Open Pollinated), or F1 hybrid seeds. If you are sending pepper seeds, it would help me a great deal with sorting if you could indicate on the packages if the peppers are sweet or hot as many individuals in the last swap had clear preferences. If seeds are from a commercial source, please note that as well.

If you send tomato seeds, you will receive tomato seeds in return. The same idea for peppers, unless you include a note indicating you want something different in return. You can also send in tomato seeds and ask for pepper seeds in return or visa versa, or any combination. I fully expect a large variety and volume of seed types to be able to accommodate this.

4) Please include a list of what you are sending, your wish list and if there are any seeds you do
not want to receive. It is very important to take the time to write out a list of what you are sending, otherwise I have to do it for you and I do not have time for that. If you are only interested in heirloom or OP, please tell me that as well. I will try my best to accommodate your wish list, but there are no guarantees of course. The variety will be completely dependent on what is sent in. In last year's swap, we were able to fill many items on people's wish lists so please take the time to prepare one - it will be worth your while. I do my very best to handle this swap fairly. I will post a separate note shortly listing the highly sought after varieties from last years swap, in case this helps those that are wondering what to send in.

You will need to mail your seeds inside a bubble envelope with a return label inside, along
with the correct amount of return postage. I will reuse your original bubble envelope to send
your surprise seeds back to you. Return postage rates are as follows:

* If you live in Canada - $1.29 return postage stamps (Canadian Stamps only)
* If you live in the US - $2.21 (CAD or US$) (includes tax)
* If you live outside Canada and US - $4.41 (CAD or US$) (includes tax)

All postage rates can be verified on the Canada Post website. For those outside of Canada, you will need to send enough funds to pay for return postage. You can either send concealed cash in the envelope or you could submit payment for postage via Paypal. Please DO NOT send stamps from your country. They will not work here in Canada :)

It's important that you send a regular bubble envelope and not the heavy cardboard insulated type. Weight restriction in this price category is 100g. Please be sure to send a big enough envelope. I would recommend a minimum of 4 x 6 so thickness stays within Canada Post letter mail requirements.

If you change your mind after registering, and no longer wish to participate, PLEASE notify me immediately so we do not delay the swap waiting for your seeds to arrive. This will also save me a great deal of time trying to follow up and track people down.

I will email you privately with my mailing address once you have posted here to sign up for this swap. You must make sure that your gardenweb profile has your email address attached and it's visible to other members, so I can contact you. Please triple check this before signing up for this swap.

Any questions. Please let me know. Let's have fun exchanging seeds !!!!

Thanks��Heather

Please note - I will be out of town on business November 19 thru 21st and will not be responding to anyone during that time.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: 5th Annual Tomato & Pepper Seed Exchange

Count me in.

o

YES! Can't Wait.

o

What a great concept for getting in some new varieties! I'm in looking forward to your email!

o

Sound fun count me in

o

Hi everyone,

Lots of great participation so far in our first day. I sent everyone that signed up on this forum a private message with further detail. If you did not receive it for any reason, please get back in touch with me. The gardenweb message system can sometimes be a bit finicky.

Looking forward to a great swap. Last year we had 139 participants. We have to beat the record each year, so can't wait to see where we land.

o

Hi Heather! I'd like to sign up! dd

o

Hi Heather, sure sign me up please.

Mark

o

Me, too.
Thank you Heather!

o

Great to see everyone returning to the swap. Lots of new participants as well. We're already up to 49 participants...and we just got started yesterday!!!

Will contact everyone tonight with further detail. Just got home from work and have some catching up to do.

o

Hi everyone, I received a question about sending in bonus seeds for sharing. I just love the generosity of the people that participate in this swap. While bonuses are certainly not expected, if you were lucky enough to get a bounty of extra seeds this year and wish to share with the other participants...that would be awesome. As always, I randomly distribute bonus tomato & pepper seeds to the participants. If you were wanting to send in some other type of seed to this swap, could I ask you to send me a private message, as I need to plan for those differently. I need to know about other types of bonus seeds in advance of actually receiving them, as I do not distribute those the same way..as not everyone will express an interest in "other" seeds. Advance communication will allow me plenty of time to plan distribution before the deadline. If I receive other bonus seeds as a surprise in the mail, they may arrive to late for me to distribute.

I very much appreciate what is sent in for sharing with the participants, as I know so many others do too. Please don't feel that you are expected to send in bonuses. This exchange is about sharing and trying new varieties and we like to take special care of our newbies...as we love nothing better than getting others addicted to tomatoes and peppers :)

Thanks everyone for all of your assistance in making this exchange a big success !

o

you can count me in would love to try some new things in 1 of my mystery gardens next season .

o

Heather,
Was great to get your email regarding the swap. As always I'm in!

To those of you who are new to joining Heather's annual swap - She does a WONDERFUL job!!!

Sandy

o

Welcome aboard Armageddon and welcome back Sandysgardens. Glad you can join our fun !!

Everyone that has joined the swap has been sent an email/private message with further detail. If you did not receive it, please get in touch with me.

We're up to 60 participants and only 2 days into this swap. Looking good !!!

o

Hi again,

I thought it would be worth posting a note about tomatillos. Tomatillos are not tomatoes, and as such, should not be sent in for exchanging in this swap. If you want to send some in for bonuses, that's great...I'll open them up to the group to see who's interested. I did not have anyone list "tomatillos" on their wish lists in any of the swaps I have hosted, so wanted to make sure everyone is aware...that they are not considered a valid "exchange" item for this swap. Thanks everyone

o

Count me in.

Look forward to seeing your email.

Frank

o

Everyone that's signed up has been sent a message via gardenweb. If you haven't received it, please let me know asap. We're up to 69 participants...woohoo!!!

Come join the fun everyone.

o

I would love to do it but I only have four varieties of peppers but if you will take my seeds I will send them.

o

Welcome Azzure08,

Four varieties of pepper seeds is just fine, as long as you don't have them combined as a mixture of pepper seeds. You can send up to 5 packets of each individual type of pepper seed as long as there are a minimum of 10 pepper seeds in each packet. So those 4 different varieties can be split into 20 packets potentially (if you have enough seeds) and then you'll get 20 different types of seeds back in exchange. A great way to expand the variety in your collection.

I just sent you a private message via gardenweb. Please let me know if you do not receive it. Welcome aboard !!!

o

Ditto sandysgardens.

If you're on the fence regarding participating, stop wasting your time and just sign up. This is your best opportunity to get some interesting new varieties for the price of a few seeds you probably already have and postage.

Heather does a fantastic job! Given the amount of time and effort she puts into her annual seed exchange I'm surprised she still has the energy to hold a 5th one.

Thanks Heather,

Bill

o
high sought after list

Hi everyone,

As promised, here is a list of highly sought after varieties from last years exchange. The names that appear on this list appeared frequently on wish lists, and in most cases we didn't have enough of that type to filll the wish list. Please keep in mind that there are hundreds of other types of seeds on wish lists. This list only includes those that appeared at a higher frequency level.

I will post a list of seeds that we tend to get way too much of or frequently appear on "do not want" lists shortly. Still working on that.

HIGHLY SOUGHT AFTER TOMATOES

Amazon chocolate
Anna Maria�s Heart
applause
barlow jap
Belgium triumph
Big cheef
Big Sungold Select
black and brown boar
Bulgarian #7
Bulgarian triumph
Client eastwood�s rowdy red
Cow�s tit
Dagma�s Perfection
earl's faux
dancing with smurfs
fordhook first
gary o-sena
gold medal
goose creek
Green doctors
Green doctors frosted
green zebra cherry
JD�s Special C Tex
Little Lucky
Livingston beauty
Mama leone
momotaro F1
Monkey�s Ass
Moravsky div
Nebraska Wedding
neves azorean red
omar's Lebanese
Orange Russian 117
Orange Strawberry
Oxacan jewels
Pale Perfect Purple
Portuguese Neighbour
Prue,
Purple haze f1
russian #117
Sandul Moldovan
Sara black
summer cider
sungold F1
Tarasenko 06
taylor lacey leaf
tim's black ruffles
virginia sweets
Wes
Zapotec
1884 Purple
any of the new dwarfs
any of the boar series

HIGHLY SOUGHT AFTER PEPPERS

Aconcagua
biker billy f1
Brazilian Starfish
Gypsy
Holy Mole
Lipstick
Manzano
Melrose
Mucho Nacho
orange sun
Purple Jalapeno
Purple Marconi
red savina
rocoto
St. Lucia Yellow Seasoning
sweets - non bells
tobago seasoning
trinidad scorpion
any rare or unusual
Superhots are always on wish lists

Hopefully this information is helpful to some. Thanks.....Heather

o

Me again,

Here's a list of seeds we tend to get way too much of, or that frequently appear on "do not want" lists. The intention is not to restrict you from sending these seeds in. I realize there are a lot of newer participants that are just starting out and only have these types of seeds to share. By all means, send them in. We'll make sure you'll get some new varieties in return. This posting is made at the request of a number of participants that have asked for this info, in particular those that have lots of seeds to choose from, to help guide them a bit. Here goes:

TOMATOES

Brandywine regular
Green zebra
Large red cherry
Marglobe
Regular beefsteak (simply marked as beefsteak)
roma (regular)
Rutgers
Small red cherry
yellow pear

� A note on cherry tomatoes, we do tend to get a lot of cherry tomato seeds in. A number of members send in quite a few cherry tomatoes but indicate that they do not want cherry tomatoes back. If you send in cherry tomato seeds in, you will very likely get some cherry tomato seeds back (different ones than you sent in of course). This is to be fair because of the volume of these types we receive. There are lots of cherry tomatoes that appear on wish lists. Just want you to be aware that if you send some in, plan on getting some new cherries in return 

PEPPERS

California wonder
Cayenne Red (any kind of red hot- large or small)
Habanero orange
Hot cherry
Jalapeno regular
Mixes of any kind

Hopefully this info is helpful to some. Thanks....Heather

o

And....we're up to 81 participants. If you've been sitting on the sidelines, wondering whether you should join in....come on...join the fun !!!!

o
I would be in except...

I might get one of these...

o

Count me in too. Sounds like fun.

Alex

o

Count me in too. Sounds like fun.

Alex

o

I would like to participate, thanks.
Gary

o

Welcome everyone,

Just sent private messages to each of you with further detail. Please let me know if did not receive it.

DMForcier - cute picture :) It did not appear to me that you were actually signing up for this swap, so I have not sent you a message.

We're up to 88 participants so far.

o

Oh, I'll sign up.

And the pic is actually a mistake. I photoshopped it to read "7 Pot Luck" but that version seems to have gone on walkabout.

o

Great. Glad you decided to join us. Just sent you a private message with more detail.

o

HI

Please count me in. In fact, I thought I had sent this message days ago!!...and found out it didn't send!

I don't have a lot of varieties, but will certainly share what I have.

-m

o

Hi naturemitch,

I did get a previous posting from you and sent you a message via gardenweb. I just sent you another email, can you please confirm that you got it? Seems like the message might be getting blocked somehow. Thanks

o

We're one week into this swap and up to 95 participants. We're going to have such a great variety to share.

o

For all the newbies that have joined, please don't be shy about putting together a wish list. It doesn't matter how big it is A lot of time people hesitate to put together a wish list, because they think they are making more work for me. You're not..and I really want to know what's on your wish list. That's a really big part of how this swap is run. If for any reason you don't have a wish list, but you do keep a list of what you already have in your stash, you could send me that instead, or send me both. My goal is to expand your collection and not send you anything you already have.

o

Allright folks...we're at 98 participants and we just must get to 100 by the end of the night. I won't turn off my computer or go to bed until we get to 100. Who's going to help me out here?. I'm tired and have a big day tomorrow. I'll stay up for as long as it takes...LOL

o

We made it to 100 participants !!!

o

Cool now you can take a nap until the next goal. Will be sending in my seeds very soon.

Mark

o

Got you email Mark. Thanks so much. A great variety of seeds you have there :)

We're up to 102 participants. I'll be accepting new signups until October 20th.

o

I would love to participate!

Jenny

o

Welcome violetisme, just sent you an email with more info. please let me know if you do not receive it.

o

Count me in! :)

o

Heather -

Your lists of Highly Sought seeds and Do Not Send varieties is really helpful. I always have too many of everything I grow, and want to send out varieties that will folks will be excited (or at least appreciate) to receive.

Maybe you should put those lists at the end of your original post, so they don't get buried in the middle of 100+ responses. Advice to anyone who didn't see the lists: scroll up - they were posted about a week ago.

Thanks Heather for everything you have done for us over the years - Rick

o

Welcome Rustacador, just sent you an email with more info. Please let me know if you don't receive it.

Great suggestion Rick. Thanks for your feedback. Unfortunately I was out of town and I didn't have my act together this year. Just didn't have time to review last years lists until just recently, so wasn't in a position to post the sought after lists when I needed to get the swap started. Unfortunately gardenweb doesn't allow me to modify posts, so I can't make that change now. Hopefully next year I'll have more time to do all the prep work before starting the swap and post those lists right from the beginning.

We're up to a 109 participants.

o

We're up to 110 participants.

A couple of friendly reminders for everyone...

1) Tomatillos are not accepted in this swap since they are not tomatoes.

2) Also, if you live outside of Canada, do not send stamps. They will not work outside of your home country. Please refer to the instructions on the cost of postage in Canada. (I've already had a couple of people tell me they mailed their seeds and sent return postage stamps, when they lived in the US). Thought it was worth posting another reminder on this.

Thanks everyone....Heather

o

OMG....I guess tomato and pepper season really is officially over. My friend just popped by to winterize the sprinkler systems. He rang the doorbell and stood there, teeth chattering....touque and gloves on. It's snowing like crazy out there. Once I got control of my laughter, of course I invited him in for a hot cup of tea, but this is crazy. I know it's not always true, but our first real snowfall is normally close to halloween. This is October 2nd isn't it??? Or am I just imagining things? Looks like we're in for a long one. And to think...I haven't even had frost yet.

o

Burrrr, Hi Heather, seeds were out this morning. Stay warm, dd.

o

Thanks for the update dirtdaddy.

We're now up to 113 participants. Still time to join in !

o

Hi everyone, we're up to 116 participants!

As I receive envelopes in the mail, I will post updates in this thread to advise. Please keep checking the thread periodically to see if your envelope has arrived.

Thanks....Heather

o

We're up to 120 participants! Still time to join in the fun!

o

Count me in!!!

o

Glad you decided to join us Wildmantrav.

We're up to 122 participants.

o

We're up to 123 participants. I'm still accepting new signups for a little while longer.

o

Today I received seeds from "bdgardener". Thanks

o

I would be grateful to participate and thank you for putting this together.

o

Welcome aboard foodeefish. Sent you an email yesterday with more detail. Please let me know if you didn't receive it.

We're up to 126 participants!

o

Today I received seeds from "rustacator". Thanks

o

Hi again everybody.

A little over a week left before you need to get your seeds in the mail. They need to be mailed by October 20th. If it's easier for you, you could always mail your seeds first and email me your wish list separately. I know a few people may want a bit more time to build their wish lists. That's fine.

Please rememeber to include a list of what seeds you are sending in your envelope. This is crucial for my organization process. If you don't send that list, I have to write one for you when your seeds arrive. It just saves me a lot of time. Thanks so much for your assistance.

o

Thanks for the reminder, Heather. I'll get them together this weekend.
John A

o
Seed count

I'm doing bags of 15 seeds. Is that normal for non-rare peps? (fatalii, orange Thai)

---

There is a 10 bag limit, but shouldn't you make an exception for the rare peps? Surely everyone wants BJs, so someone that sends in 50 bags should be hailed as a national (okay continental) hero, not limited. Neh?

Dennis

o

Hi Dennis,

15 seeds in a baggie is quite common with those that participate in the exchange. 10 seeds per seed packet/baggie is just the minimum seed count.

The limit of each seed type is actually 5 packets. (not 10 packets). I'm sorry, but no exceptions here, even if it's a rare pepper seed. There are a number of people that will send these in, and I have to stick to the 5 packs of each seed type limit to ensure there is enough variety. I have a number of people that do not want extreme hot peppers and lots of people are "tomato" only pepper...so would very much appreciate if everyone could stick with the limits I've posted.

Thanks....Heather

o

Count me in. Sounds like fun, John

o

Hi Dennis,

Glad you feel that way, that's why Heather mentioned bonus seeds are welcome and I threw in Bonus seeds Bhut and Trinidad Scorps, that way if people want those in their wish list there will be plenty.

Mark

o

Well, I made up 10 packs so I guess there are 5 bonus of each now. (Someday I will have to learn how to read.)
---

Heather, what are the Canadian postal regs about thickness that you mention?

What should we expect to receive? Say I send 15 packets (3 x 5). Do I get back any mix of 15? Max of 3 types? Or do you play it by ear depending on what you have to distribute?

Oh, and do you print mailing labels on PayPal, or do you want physical sticky labels?

Thanks for doing this,
Dennis

o

Hi Dennis

If you sent in 15 packets, you would receive 15 packets (each of a different kind in return). My intent is to never send you duplicates of any seed type back...so you should have 15 new varieties in return. I do ask that you put together a wish list of seeds you'd like to try and I try my best to fill some of those wish list items for you as well. What I can send back, is very much dependant on what comes in, but I dip into my own stash where possible to help fill out some with lists.

I don't print labels from paypal. I need each participant to prepare their own label and put in in the envelope they send in. It doesn't have to be a sticky label..even name and address written on a piece of paper will do. I just don't have time to create everyone's return labels for them, so this helps me a lot if people can make sure that is done.

Canada post allows for a maximum thickness of 20mm for an envelope to count as letter mail. If for any reason, an envelope is too small and as a result it is too thick after I stuff it full of seeds, I'll swap it with a larger bubble envelope at my end to make sure it can still go as lettermail. Sometimes people send teensy weeny little envelopes. Bigger is better when it comes to this swap..LOL But it is not an issue if I need to change envelopes at my end to make it work.

Hope this helps. Please let me know if there are any additional questions.

Thanks...Heather

o

Your mailing address is the same as last year, right? I haven't seen it listed this year, or maybe you emailed it to me individually?

o

Hi Rick_in_va, my mailing address was emailed in my official welcome letter. Just resent it to you. Please let me know if you do not receive it. thanks

o

Heaather - My envelope flew out on Saturday towards Canada so should be there in plenty of time. I included some bonus packs from the sought after list to help fill wish lists.

Thanks again for all the hours and work you put into this swap.

Sandy

o

Thanks so much Sandy. I appreciate the update. And the participants will appreciate those bonus seeds for sure.

o

Today I received seeds from "habjolokia". Thanks

o

Would love to participate. I am unable to send you seeds until November 1st, however. Thanks! :)

o

Could you please send me address to send seeds. Can't seem to email you. Thanks Gary

o

Gardendrivenlife, I just sent you a second message via gardenweb. Your email address is not accessible on your profile, so I have my fingers crossed that the gardenweb system will get the message to you. If you do not get it, can you please go back to my profile, and click on my actual email address to contact me (instead of sending a message via gardenweb). If I get your email address that way, I can email you direct without relying on the gw message system.

Redthreaddiy...I'm very sorry, but the deadline for mailing seeds from the US is October 20th. I cannot begin to sort seeds for everyone until all envelopes are received, and I can't hold up the swap for everyone waiting for a late envelope. If you have any way of getting seeds in the mail by October 20th, please get back in touch with me. Otherwise, maybe you can join us next year. Your seeds will just not get here in time if you don't mail until Nov 1st.

Thanks....Heather

o

Hi Heather
My Seeds were mailed today, Thanks to your swap participants last year, I was able to include bonus seeds this year. Thanks for all your efforts they it is appreciated!

o

I will do my best to get the seeds out by the 20th. Thanks.

o

Thanks for the update BigDan1. Those bonus seeds will be greatly appreciated by everyone.

Welcome aboard redthreaddiy. I just sent you an email with further information. Please let me know right away if you do not receive it.

We're up to 129 participants.

A friendly reminder to everyone...if you live outside of Canada, your seeds must be in the mail by October 20th.

Thanks...Heather

o

Heather~My seeds are in today's mail. Thank you!~Janine

o

Thanks for the update Janine....much appreciated.

Today I received seeds from:

* crystalline_ca
* lorabell

Thanks....Heather

o

I had a some quick questions. You said 'named varieties', does that me an exact known cultivar. I ask because I was sold some peppers as Thai and Hungarian Wax and they seem to be general names and not specific cultivars. Are these acceptable or are only varieties which the actual cultivar is known accepted?

Also, is it acceptable if the peppers or tomatoes were grown in proximity to others peppers and tomatoes?

Thanks

o

Package out this morning.

Frank

o

I would love to join in on the swap if you are still accepting more people. A friend recommended this swap to me as I love peppers and tomatoes. I would be able to send out tomorrow or Friday at the latest.
Thanks!

o

Thanks for the updates everyone.

Reach for the Sun - have sent you an email to discuss further.

Detroitgirl77- welcome aboard. just sent you an email with further info. please let me know if you do not receive it.

Today I received seeds from "dirt daddy".

We're up to 131 participants. I'm still accepting new signups until Oct 20th, provided you get get your seeds in the mail by Oct 20th, if you live outside of Canada.

Thanks....Heather

o

Seeds are in the mail :)

Gary

o

Thanks for the update Gary

Reach_for_the_sun - your email is bouncing back with an "invalid email address" from your internet provider. I clicked on the email address you had attached to your gardenweb profile. Please get in touch with me though my member page by clicking on my email address. Thanks...Heather

o

We're up to 132 participants.

I'm still accepting new signups until Oct 20th (provided you can get your seeds in the mail Oct 20th).

Please let me know if you have mailed your seed package so I can update my records. thanks....Heather

o

Heather, seeds were mailed today. John

o

For sending from US to Canada do we need to use Customs form 2976, or which one? The clerk at one of these independent USPS drop off locations said I needed one.Do you just put gift and vegetable seeds on the form? Or what should I do. Not familiar with international shipping.

Thanks

o

Yes, that will work in my experience. Rick

o

Yes, you need a Customs form 2976 to use First Class Package to Canada.

Go to USPS site to fill out and print a form. For City, use "Calgary, AB". For content type, use "Gift". For valuation use $0.10. For contents use "plant seeds", quantity 1.

It will output to a PDF file that you can then print directly. Be sure to sign and date both copies.

Then take that form(s) and your package to your PO to pay the postage. They will tell you how to attach it to the package. I'm interested in this myself since the standard Customs envelope is too big.

Here is a link that might be useful: USPS Customs Forms

o

Thanks for the update Scorpion_John.

I don't know what the form number is that is used on letters, but it's a little green stick on customs form. Not everyone uses them, but those that do, just write seeds on it. No value or gift is fine as well.

Thanks

o

On the 2976 form you need a non-zero value, so I chose a dime. "Gift" is not required either, but there is no duty on gifts.

Be sure not to use "1" and not the actual quantity of seeds. That would throw into another form.

o

Thanks for the information, I appreciate it.

o

I just tried to mail my package and at the post office she said that I couldn't send the seeds as they would be confiscated per FAA regulations? Sounded weird to me. I'm about to look up restrictions and print out if I need be and just go to the bigger post office to mail.

o

Detroitgirl77...sounds like the person at your local post office has been smoking a little somethin:) Seems to be wide variance on the service you receive at local post offices. You are definitely allowed to mail vegetable seeds. Maybe you could write tomato/pepper seeds on it and she would be happy. You can assure her that tomato and pepper seeds are not considered noxious weeks in Canada...they barely grow here in our cool climate as it is.

I'm just being cheeky. If you just have it in a bubble envelope that's not too thick, you should be able to just put the correct amount of lettermail postage on it and toss it in your local mailbox for pickup.

Good luck with your postal clerk. It amazes me the rules they make up as they go along.

o

If you actually do mail a (US) First Class Letter or Flat, there is no Customs form required. But thickness limit is 1/4". Again, whether that is enforced depends on the PO.

---
As for how to attach the 2976 form to the envelope, the PO kept one copy, cut the other in half along the dotted line, and taped both halves to the front of the mailer.

---
Heather, the green tag on the packages you receive are not Customs or international stickers. They are Delivery Confirmation or Insurance stickers.

---
detroitgirl, try another one or a different postal worker. Or ask for the Postmaster. USPS has a set of restrictions, but she was stepping outside of her authority trying to enforce FDA (?) restrictions.

o

USPS form 2976 is green & white. You fill out both sides and attach it to the left hand side of your package. The PO will remove the white portion; the green side stays on and travels to Heather. You may enter a zero value. This is the one I use. I'm not familiar with form 2976-a or any other variation of customs form, but perhaps that is the one DMForcier is talking about.

o

I just pulled out one of the envelopes with the little green sticker on it. It's green with a little bar of white on top and the form number is 2976. It is definitely a customs sticker that is signed and dated by the sender, along with a description of contents and value. This is the only one I see on envelopes that are sent...and not all envelopes have them. Quite a few are just sent without and they come through just fine. This is not a delivery confirmation...just a very small customs declaration.

Canada customs has so far opened and inspected two envelopes that were sent in for this swap, and there were no issues. Sending seeds is just fine.

o

> "USPS form 2976 is green & white."

Thanks, jaynine. I couldn't find a green one at the PO. I used B&W. Sorry for the mis-information.

2976-a is for items valued over $400, and has at least 4 parts. You almost never see it for small shipments.

As you might have been able to guess, my package is on the way.

o

And the regs for large envelopes ("flats") say they can be up to 3/4 inches thick. Here's the info pasted directly from the USPS website:

Large Envelope
Dimension Minimum* Maximum
Height 6-1/8 inches 12 inches
Length 11-1/2 inches 15 inches
Thickness 1/4 inch 3/4 inch
* Large envelopes exceed at least one of the minimum dimensions.

Prices: (International Rate - Canada and Mexico)
First-Class Mail International
Large Envelopes (flats)

Weight Not Over (ounces)
Canada Mexico
1 $1.50 $1.50
2 1.65 2.03
3 1.80 2.56
4 1.95 3.09
5 2.10 3.62
6 2.25 4.15

Pieces that are rigid, nonrectangular, or not uniformly thick pay package prices. (They are pretty lenient on the "uniformly thick" part as long as its not lumpy.)

I never bother with the customs form and my stuff has always made it to Calgary, but just in case, let the PO tell you what to do on that one.

Hope this helps.

PS Heather - my envelope was mailed today - Rick

o

Thanks for the update Rick. Much appreciated.

o

I was successfully able to mail my package today, yay! I had to go to the main branch, but thats okay. I don't think that I'll be going to the one close to me anymore as she always has issues with everything I send. One time she was saying that since a flat rate envelope was bulging, it wouldn't be accepted. It ended up getting to the recipient just find. She wouldn't let it go as a large envelope since there weren't just documents in it, but as a package. I wasn't gonna fight it as I had other things to do that day. Only cost $3 for a 3 oz pkg, so not too bad. I included some extras too, so that pushed the weight over the 2 oz limit.

Customs Form # LJ021848905US

Can't wait to see what types of goodies I'll get back!

o

Glad it all worked out detroilgirl77..and thanks for the update.

o

> "Hope this helps. "

Yes, it does, Rick. My mailer was too small so I eliminated Flats, but I didn't notice this key statement: Large envelopes exceed at least one of the minimum dimensions. In other words, those are not really minimums. "Small and fat" is also "Large envelope."

The more I think I learn about Postal regs, the less I actually know, it seems. And UPS is even worse!

o

Right. They are thresholds, and when you cross one, you are a "flat", and only the maximums matter then.

Detroitgirl - maybe she just resents women who are more attractive than her. That's my take. Rick

o

Heather - The package you picked up with the green sticker may have been mine. My PO insists that I have to fill out a customs form. It's easier to comply than argue. No issue about sending seeds.
John A

o

THIS SWAP IS NOW CLOSED TO NEW PARTICIPANTS.

We have 128 participating in this swap.

o

CRAP, CLOSED!

In the immortal words of Maxwell Smart...

I missed it by that much.

Seriously Heather, thank you for holding another Exchange. You're a busy lady and it's a lot of work. You're really banking up some good karma in your pepper and tomato accounts ;-)

Bill

o

C'mon Bill, you're not new. And you're in the same country! Send some exotic seeds so I can get them.

Or was that just an excuse for a Get Smart reference?

[99 is still hot!]

o

Thanks Bill. Cute picture !!!

Hey folks...now that we've closed this swap to new participants, I'm getting ready to post a bonus offer. You gotta be quick...so keep your eyes posted on this forum :)

o
bonus seed offer - misc veggies

BONUS OFFER TO THE PARTICIPANTS OF THIS EXCHANGE

Hi everyone,

Now that we're no longer accepting new signups, it's time to offer up some miscellaneous veggie seeds as bonuses. If interested, please post or message me with your TOP 15 CHOICES IN ORDER OF PRIORITY. Please do not message me saying "I'll take whatever you can share". Those types of requests go to the bottom of the pile, and you will likely lose out if you don't respond with your specific wish list on these items, as requested.

Requests are being filled on a first come first serve basis (I go by time stamps on postings and email). All of these seeds are being offered up only to the participants of this swap, including swap participants from other forums. There is no guarantee that you will get any, but if you are quick, and give me a long list to pick from, I'm sure you'll see some nice surprises in your envelope. I am not posting who will receive what from this bonus offer. You will get the surprises in your envelope. Some of the seeds are in very limited quantity, so if you are too late for one seed type, I can work my way down the rest of your list.

I will post a periodic update to indicate what's still available, but I do work full time, so my updates will be delayed, thus the reason I'm asking you to provide me with your top 15 choices.

I will reply to you to confirm receipt of your request the same day. If you do not hear back from me, I did not get your request. To make sure your request goes through, be sure to click on my actual email address in my gardenweb profile, and don't send a message via the gardenweb message system. It is unreliable.

Thank you to all of the generous participants who sent in these bonus veggie seeds to share with you. Your generosity makes this swap so much fun.

So, after that long preamble...here's the list:

Miscellaneous Veggies
Beets - Chioggie
Beets - Early Wonder Tall
Borecole - Black Tuscany
Broccoli Spigariello
Cabbage - Pointed Calibos
Carrot - Chantenay
Carrot - Danvers Half Long
Carrot - Red Cored Chantenay
Carrot - Scarlet Nantes
Carrot - Solar Yellow
Cauliflower - Romanesco
Celeriac - Giant Prague
Cilantro
Cucumber - Armenian Long
Cucumber - Tasty Green
Cucumber - Tortarelo
Eggplant - Black Beauty
Lettuce - Grand Rapids
Lettuce - Romaine Cimmaron Red
Lettuce - Salad Bowl
Minnesota Midget Cantaloupe
Purslane - Golden
Radish - Early Scarlet Globe
Radish - Easter Egg
Radish - French Breakfast
Radish - Helios
Radish - Nero Tondo d'Inverno
Radish - Purple Plum
Radish - Scarlet Turnip White Tip (heirloom from 1880s)
Radish - Sparkler White Tip (Bolts easily, tastes hot if temps reach 80 degrees)
Radish - Yellow
Rutabaga - Laurentian Gold
Turnip - Golden Globe
Turnip - Manchester Market
Turnip - Purple Globe Top
Turnip - Seven Top
Turnip - White Shogun

Beans/Peas
Beurre de Rocquencourt (bush/wax bean)
Blue Goose Chowder (Cow Pea)
Blue Ribbon (bush/snap bean)
Fin de Bagnol (bush/snap bean)
Flamingo (pole/wax -6-10 inches long, flat, wide, tender, stringless, bright pink with some yellow, cooks
to all yellow, 70-75 dtm)
Rattlesnake (pole/snap bean)
Yard Long Bean (pole, likes warm climate)

Asian Greens
40 Day Yu Choy Sum (Flowering Bok Choy)
80 Day Yu Choy Sum (Flowering Bok Choy)
Ching Chiang (Green Bok Choy)(6-7 inches, tolerates heat)
F1 Big Stem Yu Choy Sum (Flowering Bok Choy)
Hazzards P6510 (White Bok Choy, tall)
Joi Choi F1 (White Bok Choy)(18" vigorous, bolt-resistant, fall or winter, wide range of temps)
Komatsuna (Spinach Mustard)
Mei Qing Choy (Green Bok Choy)(thiram, baby, tolerates heat and cold)
Mizuna (Japanese Mustard)
Tainong Seeds Tall (White Bok Choy)
Tatsoi (small rosette, mild, cold hardy to 15 degrees)
"Taiwan" San Tong (White Bok Choy)(OP 13 inches)

o

Thanks to those who sent extras! My choices, if available, are:
Carrot - Solar Yellow
Celeriac - Giant Prague
Cucumber - Armenian Long

o

Heather, a nice bunch of bonus seeds!
I would be glad to try:
beets-chioggie
borecale-black tuscany
carrot-nantes
lettuce-red romaine cimmaron
ching chiang- bok choy
tatsoi
turnip-white shogun

thanks so much, dd.

o

Heather,

Thank you for the bonus offer, what a great selection of veggies!
Here is the list of bonus seeds I would like to get if still available:

Beans Beurre de Rocquencourt
Beans Rattlesnake
Cucumber - Tasty Green
Carrot Solar Yellow
Lettuce - Grand Rapids

Thank you,
Gala

o

Hi Heather,

These two beans would be cool if available:

"Blue Ribbon (bush/snap bean)
Fin de Bagnol (bush/snap bean)"

Thanks

o

Wow! What a great response I've had to the bonus seeds so far. It's going to take me quite some time to sort through the requests..so won't be in a position to post updates until I've done that.

Meanwhile, please continue to contact me with your top 15 from the wish list in order of priority. The more you give me, the higher the likelihood you'll get a few things you want.

Have noted preferences for everyone that's posted so far. I've also sent email acknowledgements for those that contacted me directly. If you haven't heard from me, I haven't received your email.

Keep those wishes coming!!!!

Thanks...Heather

o

Heather,

These are the top 15 seeds I would be interested in if available. So awesome of you!

*Borecole - Black Tuscany
*Broccoli Spigariello
*Celeriac - Giant Prague
*Cucumber - Armenian Long
*Minnesota Midget Cantaloupe
*Purslane - Golden
*Beurre de Rocquencourt (bush/wax bean)
*Blue Goose Chowder (Cow Pea)
*Fin de Bagnol (bush/snap bean)
*Flamingo (pole/wax -6-10 inches long, flat, wide, tender, stringless, bright pink with some yellow, cooks
*Rattlesnake (pole/snap bean)
*Yard Long Bean (pole, likes warm climate)
*Ching Chiang (Green Bok Choy)(6-7 inches, tolerates heat)
*Mizuna (Japanese Mustard)
*Tatsoi (small rosette, mild, cold hardy to 15 degrees)

o

I just realized I didn't sort these by priority. I guess for mine, it would be from the bottom up in terms of priority for me. Should've read slower before I posted. :)

o

I'd love some seeds! My packet went in the mail Friday with just north of 40 packets (the extras are bonus). Here's my list:

Miscellaneous Veggies

Cucumber - Armenian Long

Cucumber - Tasty Green

Cucumber - Tortarelo 

Purslane - Golden 
Radish - Helios 

Radish - Purple Plum
Beans/Peas 

Beurre de Rocquencourt
Blue Ribbon

Fin de Bagnol 

Flamingo

Asian Greens

40 Day Yu Choy Sum

F1 Big Stem Yu Choy Sum
Tatsoi

o

Hi Heather, if still available I would like:
carrot-chatenay
carrot-red corded chatenay
lettuce-salad bowl
lettuce-romaine cimmaron red

Thanks Cheryl

o
Bonus Seeds update

Hi everyone,

Thanks for the great response. I have a ton of messages with wish lists to sort through on this, but have updated a couple of items I know for sure are out, based on the volume of responses I've put in my database so far. There may be others that I'm out of once I sort through all the lists, but that's why I'm asking you to give me a long wish list.

On another note - I screwed up, and forgot to enter 4 bonus seed types earlier (3 cucumbers and 1 zucchini). I have modified the list and put an * in front of the new additions.

If you'd like to swap anything on your original wish list for any of these new items, please let me know asap. Sorry for the confusion.

Thanks.....Heather

***AS WITH THE ORIGINAL POSTING, I AM LOOKING FOR YOUR TOP 15 PICKS IN ORDER OF PRIORITY. YOU GOTTA BE QUICK !!! Here's the updated list

Miscellaneous Veggies
Beets - Chioggie
Borecole - Black Tuscany
Broccoli Spigariello
Cabbage - Pointed Calibos
Carrot - Chantenay
Carrot - Red Cored Chantenay
Carrot - Scarlet Nantes
Carrot - Solar Yellow
Cauliflower - Romanesco
Celeriac - Giant Prague
Cilantro
Cucumber - Armenian Long
* Cucumber - Marketmore 76
* Cucumber - Morden Early
Cucumber - Tasty Green
* Cucumber - White Wonder
Eggplant - Black Beauty
Lettuce - Grand Rapids
Lettuce - Salad Bowl
Purslane - Golden
Radish - Early Scarlet Globe
Radish - Easter Egg
Radish - Helios
Radish - Purple Plum
Radish - Scarlet Turnip White Tip (heirloom from 1880s)
Radish - Sparkler White Tip (Bolts easily, tastes hot if temps reach 80 degrees)
Radish - Yellow
Turnip - Golden Globe
Turnip - Seven Top
Turnip - White Shogun
* Zuchinni - Alberello di Sarzano

Beans/Peas
Fin de Bagnol (bush/snap bean)
Flamingo (pole/wax -6-10 inches long, flat, wide, tender, stringless, bright pink with some yellow, cooks

Asian Greens
40 Day Yu Choy Sum (Flowering Bok Choy)
80 Day Yu Choy Sum (Flowering Bok Choy)
Ching Chiang (Green Bok Choy)(6-7 inches, tolerates heat)
F1 Big Stem Yu Choy Sum (Flowering Bok Choy)
Hazzards P6510 (White Bok Choy, tall)
Joi Choi F1 (White Bok Choy)(18" vigorous, bolt-resistant, fall or winter, wide range of temps)
Mei Qing Choy (Green Bok Choy)(thiram, baby, tolerates heat and cold)Tainong Seeds Tall (White Bok Choy)
Tatsoi (small rosette, mild, cold hardy to 15 degrees)
"Taiwan" San Tong (White Bok Choy)(OP 13 inches)

o

thanks for doing this! Id take
Broccoli Spigariello
40 Day Yu Choy Sum
Tatsoi
Ching Chiang
"Taiwan" San Tong
Mei Qing Choy
Cauliflower

if they are available

o

Thank you. Great job!

Komatsuna
Mei Qing Choy
Ching Chiang
Tatsoi
"Taiwan" San Tong
Beets - Chioggie
Purslane - Golden
Lettuce - Grand Rapids
Lettuce - Salad Bowl

o

Hi Heather. Thanks for conducting the seed swap again. My package should reach you soon. I would like to have some of the Early Scarlet Globe and Purple Plum radishes if you still have them.
Thanks, John A

o

Have noted the preferences of everyone that has posted here. Thanks

Here's an updated list of bonus seeds. Have removed what I know for sure is gone. Still have a number of requests to sort through, so I still ask that you submit your top 15 in order of priority.

Miscellaneous Veggies
Beets � Early Wonder Tall
Borecole � Black Tuscany
Cabbage � Pointed Calibos
Carrot � Chantenay
Cauliflower - Romanesco
Celeriac - Giant Prague
Cilantro
Cucumber � Armenian Long
Cucumber � Marketmore 76
Cucumber - Tasty Green
Eggplant � Black Beauty
Radish � Early Scarlet Globe
Radish � Sparkler White Tip (Bolts easily, tastes hot if temps reach 80 degrees)
Turnip � Golden Globe
Turnip � Manchester Market
Turnip � Purple Globe Top
Turnip � Seven Top

Beans/Peas

Asian Greens

o

Blue Goose chowder bean is now gone too!

o

A little late to this but would be interested in the following if they are still available of course...

Radish Early Scarlet Globe
Radish Sparkler White Tip (Bolts easily, tastes hot if temps reach 80 degrees)
Beets Early Wonder Tall
Cucumber Marketmore 76
Cucumber Tasty Green
Yard Long Bean
Carrot Chantenay

Thanks as always!

o

Have noted your preferences penquinsrock.

An updated list of what's remaining for those that haven't already responded:

Beets � Early Wonder Tall
Borecole � Black Tuscany
Cabbage � Pointed Calibos
Carrot � Chantenay
Cauliflower - Romanesco
Celeriac - Giant Prague
Cilantro
Cucumber � Armenian Long
Cucumber - Tasty Green
Cucumber - White Wonder
Eggplant � Black Beauty
Radish � Sparkler White Tip (Bolts easily, tastes hot if temps reach 80 degrees)
Turnip � Manchester Market
Turnip � Purple Globe Top
Turnip � Seven Top

o

* Aenelson
* Flytyer
* Maplegrove
* Northernhab
* Wildmantrav

Thanks....Heather

o

Heather,

Shoot was gone for 3 days and I missed the extras. If anything is left I wouldn't mind trying -

cucumber - Armenian Long
Minnesota Midget Cantaloupe - I know it's gone, but if you get any other.

o

Have noted your preferences sandysgardens.

An updated list of what's remaining for those that haven't already responded. There may only be one or two pkgs left of many of these, so you gotta be quick:

Beets Early Wonder Tall
Borecole Black Tuscany
Carrot Chantenay
Celeriac - Giant Prague
Cilantro
Cucumber - Armenian Long
Cucumber - Tasty Green
Eggplant - Black Beauty
Radish - Sparkler White Tip
Turnip - Seven Top

o

Hi Heather, I just joined this forum so you don't have to send me emails :o) although, I will send you an email so you will know it's me!! LOL

If you still have veggie seeds, would like to try any of the following that you still have left:

Radish sparkler white tip
Beets Early Tall Wonder
Barcole black Tuscany
Celariac Giant Prague

Thank you
Christine

o

I'd like to try these if still available:

Armenian cucumber
Tasty Green cucumber.

Thanks!

o

Hi Heather! Wish list 4 bonus seeds= awesome! dd

o

Thanks everyone. Have noted your preferences.

An updated list of what's remaining for those that haven't already responded. There may only be one or two pkgs left of many of these, so you gotta be quick:

Beets Early Wonder Tall
Carrot Chantenay
Celeriac - Giant Prague
Cilantro
Cucumber - Armenian Long
Cucumber - Tasty Green
Eggplant - Black Beauty
Turnip - Seven Top

o

Oct 23rd - I received seeds from:

* BriAnDaren
* BigDan1
* Churnoble
* Penguinsrock09
* Sandysgardens

I have not had a chance to look at what you sent, so may need to contact you a bit later if I have any questions.

Thanks...Heather

o

Today I received seeds from "Karen58".

Thanks...Heather

o

• Posted by cziga Zone 5 -Toronto (My Page) on
    Wed, Oct 24, 12 at 18:24

I'd love to try
Carrot Chantenay
Cucumber - Armenian Long
if still available.

my seeds will be in the mail to you either tonight or tomorrow, will let you know!

o

Have noted Cziga. Thanks

Beets Early Wonder Tall
Celeriac - Giant Prague
Cilantro
Cucumber - Tasty Green
Eggplant - Black Beauty
Turnip - Seven Top

o

Today I received envelopes from:

* Green_go
* Violetisme
* Slo_garden

Have not peeked inside the envelopes yet. Just had a quick second to let you know the envelopes are here. May need to reach out to you later if I have any questions. Thanks....Heather

o

If you've got any left, I would love to try

Celeriac - Giant Prague
Eggplant - Black Beauty

Thanks!

o

Have noted your wishlists items maple_grove. Thanks

o

* azzure08
* botanicat
* jaynine
* john11840
* onesteward
* peppermeister
* phpete
* pond_gardener
* reach_for_the_sun
* scorprion_john

Had not yet peeked inside the envelopes. Just had a quick second to let you know your envelopes arrived. May need to connect with you a bit later if I have any questions.

Thanks....Heather

o

If there are still bonus seeds available:

Borecole - Black Tuscany
Flamingo Beans
Cucumber - Armenian Long
Cucumber - Tasty Green
Purslane - Golden
Fin de Bagnol (bush/snap bean).
Joi Choi F1
Carrot - Scarlet Nantes
Ching Chiang
Eggplant - Black Beauty

o

these are my preferences for the bonus seeds, limited to those you said were still available, in rank order:

Beets Early Wonder Tall
Cilantro
Cucumber - Tasty Green
Eggplant - Black Beauty

o

Have noted your preferences emcd124.

* sweet_marie
* theloud
* tinley244

Have not yet peeked inside the envelopes. Just had a quick second to let you know your envelopes arrived. May need to connect with you a bit later if I have any questions.

Thanks....Heather

o

I need your help finding the owner of a mystery envelope I received today. The member name was not written on the note inside (as per instructions), so I have no way of knowing who these belong to.
I have 18 people with the same first initial participating in this swap.

If your initials are G.M. and you live in Hillsboro, MO, can you please contact me as quickly as possible.

Thank you

o

Found my mystery person. Thanks again.

o

Found my mystery person. Thanks again

o

Today I received seeds from "fanatic79". Thanks...Heather

o

* bbjm
* cziga
* happygardener23
* jonboy999
* mrdoitall
* rgvnewf

Thanks....Heather

o

There are a few members in this forum, who signed up for the swap and have still not answered any followup emails/messages from me which requested an update. It is a massive task to keep track of everyone in this swap, and I didn't think I was asking too much to let me know if you've changed your minds and no longer want to participate - or to take a quick second to let me know your seeds are in the mail.

I will not mention any names, but this is to notify those individuals, that I have no choice but to assume you are no longer in this swap. If your envelope arrives without any communication from you, it will be sent back "return to sender". I just wish you could have taken a second to send me a message....it would have saved me a great deal of time with followup. IF YOU HAVEN'T MAILED YOUR SEEDS, IT'S TOO LATE NOW...DON'T SEND THEM.

Thanks to everyone who took a moment to keep me up to date by posting updates or sending me an email. Your communication makes this job of coordinating the swap, so much smoother. Thanks again.

o
To be continued ... !

This is the last post allowed on this thread. The thread continues here.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: This thread has reached the upper limit for the number follow-ups allowed (150). If you would like to continue this discussion, please begin a new thread using the form on the main forum page.

Return to the Hot Pepper Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here