Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
judo_and_peppers

epic spicy garlic teriyaki marinade recipe

judo_and_peppers
9 years ago

I just made this, and it came out so awesome that instead of trying to turn this into a sauce that I'd sell, I felt the need to share it.

1 superhot, or however many peppers you feel like adding
15 cloves garlic
4 fl oz low sodium teriyaki sauce
2 fl oz white vinegar
2 fl oz olive oil
1 fl oz soy sauce
1 fl oz lime juice
2 tbsp honey
1 tsp onion powder
1 tsp black pepper
1 tsp brown sugar
1/2 tsp white pepper
1/2 tsp dry coriander
1/4 tsp allspice
1/4 tsp dry ginger
1/4 tsp dry thyme
a dash (like 1/16th tsp) cumin powder

how hot you wanna make it is up to you. I thought one chocolate scorpion in the batch was the perfect amount of heat. your tastes may differ.

throw it all in a blender, blend til smooth. I used this for about 3 lbs of chicken thighs, but it's enough for up to 5 lbs IMO.

I put the chicken and marinade in a big tupperware container, then poked a few holes in each piece so the marinade would make its way inside, then I put it in the fridge overnight.

put in a deep tray in the oven (pouring all the marinade in there too so it cooks in there) at 350 for about a half hour while you're getting the grill lit, then finish on the grill.

just make sure to grab a piece early, or there will be nothing left.

EDIT: just to be clear, this is not a safe canning recipe. not even close. it might be one day after lots of modifications, but not in its current form.

This post was edited by judo_and_peppers on Mon, Sep 15, 14 at 17:38

Comments (19)

• ottawapepper
    9 years ago

Thanks Judo,

I'm going to give it a shot with one or two Peach Bhuts.

Probably won't be for a couple of weeks. We're in full harvest / freezing / canning / drying mode right now... peppers as well as other regular hum drum garden fruit and vegetables ;-)

Bill

• judo_and_peppers
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I forgot to mention, for best results, the grilling process should be more smoking than grilling. I threw a piece of hickory on there, kept the meat from being directly above the fire, and kept the lid closed, for a nice smoky taste.

also, if you wish to reduce the garlic content slightly and increase the teriyaki content, it won't hurt the recipe. just don't add too much cumin, or it'll overpower everything.

I had to act fast to take the picture.

• kentishman
    9 years ago

Bill,

Pleased to see you're going to put some of those Peach Bhuts to good use.

Tom

• 2ajsmama
    9 years ago

I'm making chicken tonight, that sounds awesome. I just don't have time to marinate, going to have to try it some other time.

But you can't safely can it with that much garlic (and oil). You're just working in a commercial kitchen, right, not a processing plant with high-temp/pressure retorts?

• judo_and_peppers
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I have no intention of canning this in its current form. this was something I made at my house, for enjoyment with the family. if I were to try to sell this stuff the recipe would have to be heavily modified.

• 2ajsmama
    9 years ago

I just wanted to mention it, since you said instead of making it to sell you'd share the recipe here, someone might think it was OK to can.

• judo_and_peppers
    Original Author
    9 years ago

good save. in case it's unclear:

THIS IS NOT A SAFE CANNING RECIPE. at least not yet. it might be one day, but all of my safe canning recipes started out as a fun idea that I just made up and started playing with, then started tweaking. some require more work than others to become safe. in the case of this one, lots more acid, and probably no oil.

though on an entirely different subject, I just received verification that my recipes for sauces that I do intend to sell are safe canning recipes. I won't be posting those though. gotta keep some secrets.

• 2ajsmama
    9 years ago

Yeah on the positive test results! I should check your other thread, you took the training, are you all set to go? Have insurance? I know you've got the labels set.

I don't blame you on the "trade secrets" - I've got some jam/jelly recipes I won't share since I sell them.

Hint - garlic powder.

• judo_and_peppers
    Original Author
    9 years ago

that's a big negative on the garlic powder. I refuse to use it in any of my production sauces, one of my bigger selling points is that I refuse to cut corners, and insist on using the ingredients that result in a better quality sauce, even if it makes it a bit more expensive. with garlic there's so much better flavor using the fresh stuff. and once you start cutting corners it's a slippery slope. I could cut a lot of costs using dry pepper powder instead of the fresh stuff, but I won't do that either. I will use onion powder though, but that's because the amount of onion you'd need to get the right flavor throws my pH off, and the difference in flavor is not as large.

• 2ajsmama
    9 years ago

OK, if not garlic powder how about dehydrated garlic (you can do it yourself so you have the quality)? It's safe for canning since it rehydrates in the acid in the recipe, same as your onion powder.

I have no problem using my own dried peppers (crushed or snipped/broken) in recipes when I don't have fresh. I really don't like using frozen. Sometimes you just have to go with the dehydrated stuff to get the pH to a safe level without adding so much acid that it affects the flavor.

• seysonn
    9 years ago

I like it but but for me, it has too many ingredients. If I was going to make some I would :
    --cut the garlic to 5 cloves
    -- eliminate oil
    -- use just (more)soy sauce , eliminate teriyaki sauce
    -- Use just Brown Sugar, eliminate honey((one sweetner))
    -- use just (more)vinegar, eliminate lemon juice ((one acidifier))
    --- Eliminate black and white pepper( stick to capsicum)
    -- Eliminate onion and ginger powder.
    -- Eliminate cumin ( to me that is a pastry spice)
    -- Eliminate Thyme.
    Coriander sounds good to me.
    I would add some real freshly ground white mustard powder.

I like to make things as simple as possible.

Thanks for the idea.

• judo_and_peppers
    Original Author
    9 years ago

ajsmama, I never considered that. my recipes that I submitted for approval all call for fresh garlic, and changing that now would cost me about $1000 each, so I'll stick with what I have for now, but it's something to consider for future recipes.

seysonn: well I put it out on the internet, which means you can take it and do with it what you please. but frankly I thought the complexity of the flavor was what makes it good.

and since when was cumin a pastry spice? that's something I've never heard before. when I think of large amounts of cumin, I think tacos.

• 2ajsmama
    9 years ago

I use cumin in Mexican food and also in anything using ground turkey (I don't buy ground beef) to make it taste more like beef. I've never used it in pastry. Are you sure you're not getting it confused with something else?

Jason - no, of course don't go changing your approved recipes. But for something that's heavy on the garlic, consider it for future recipes. You can also use citric acid to acidify your recipes without changing the flavor as much, though of course in sauces you'll want some acidic liquid just for density/consistency. Garlic is just a really high-risk food though, more difficult to acidify than onions or peppers.

• Lars
    9 years ago

That looks like a good recipe to me and also does not look too sweet. I might eliminate the white and black pepper, however, and just use more chili. I have a lot of Habaneros in my yard to use. I would certainly use the fresh garlic, and I am okay with onion powder, which I use when I bake bread.

I do not consider cumin a pastry spice either, although coriander could be used in pastry, as well as allspice and ginger. I would use fresh ginger instead of dried, since I do not keep dried ginger on hand and I keep fresh ginger in the freezer. It's easier to grate when it is frozen.

How would you compare Peach Bhuts to Habaneros? How many Habaneros would you use in the recipe as a substitution?

Lars

• judo_and_peppers
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I used dry ginger because that's what I had on hand. I can only imagine, like many things, fresher tastes better.

in terms of how many habs to use, I'd say start with one, if it's not enough, add another, and another. if it were me I'd put in 4 habs, but that's for my personal heat preference. everyone is different.

• 2ajsmama
    9 years ago

Jason, you have BJ's Wholesale Club down there, right? Check it out, they have organic dehydrated garlic flakes - and I mean big flakes, not those teeny ones that can go through large holes in a shaker top. These are more like slices. I didn't look to see how many = 1 clove or what price was (it was their house brand) but it may be a solution for you. Better than garlic powder.

Ginger - use sliced fresh and then pull it out of the pot before bottling the sauce.

• seysonn
    9 years ago

and since when was cumin a pastry spice? that's something I've never heard before.
    %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%
    @Judo,
    I wrote " -- Eliminate cumin ( TO ME that is a pastry spice) " .
    I use its mostly that way along with cinnamon, star anise, nut meg, mace ... in pies , cakes, jellies and jams. I use it for its aroma rather than its taste. I also put one or two in my tea brew (Real tea leaves not tea bags) .
    I also do know that it is used as one of the ingredients in Indian curry powder.

JUST PERSONAL PREFERENCE.

And thanks again for sharing the recipe'.

• Mecdave Zone 8/HZ 9
    9 years ago

Interesting. I've never heard of it being used for pastries, jellies, or jams either, but can't imagine making a dry rub or pot of chili stew without it.

At any rate, this discussion just prompted me to go ahead and add a teaspoon of my smoked chili powder blend to a pot of Habanero Gold jam I'm working on.

• 2ajsmama
    9 years ago

Let us know how that turns out - I don't think I'd like the smoked flavor in that recipe.

But I did find this blog discussing cumin seed in bread - not sweet pastries though.

One interesting recipe is a cumin-spiced pastry tart with tomato and fried eggs - sounds good for dinner some night (without the youngest).

Here is a link that might be useful: Cumin in French baking