Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bill_missy

Baking with hots/super hots

Bill_Missy
10 years ago

Hello all,

Just curious if anyone here as ever baked with their hot peppers? I am going to make some cookies and peanut brittle today and I said what the heck, why not add some super hots.

Just wondering should if anyone has done this before and if you used fresh pods or dehydrated pods/power.

Bill

Comments (5)

• uncle_t
    10 years ago

Our family is a big fan of baked tomatoes from our garden. (I've been picking about five or six pounds of tomatoes every day.)

I bake them with a finely chopped scotch bonnet together with heads of garlic. I baste the pan with extra virgin olive oil and that's it. The sugars from the tomatoes marry well with the distinctive scotch bonnet fruitiness. And the roasted garlic is superb.

Later, I make spicy rice pilaf with the leftover juices in the pan. Also excellent is the above baked with pork ribs.

• sunnibel7 Md 7
    10 years ago

Not with my own peppers specifically, but yes I found a recipe in a book once called Hot Lips Cookies. I think it was a variation of a sugar cookie with cashews, hot peppers, and a bit of vanilla if I remember right. It called for powdered pepper. I think if you use fresh peppers it might not be so good since they will surely let out water and steam. But that's just a guess, I don't do a lot of baking.

What about spicy pecan pie? Hmmm...

• lazy_gardens
    10 years ago

Do it cautiously, because not all of your audience will be as tolerant as you are. (I keep having to whap my SO for over-chili-dosing things)

We like putting a tiny, tiny amount of chipotle chili powder in triple-chocolate brownies (any commercial mix or your own recipe). Not enough that people say, "AHAH! You put chilis in this" but enough to leave a warm mouth feel. It enhances the chocolate flavor. It's about 1/16th teaspoonful per box of brownie mix, but that's enough to do wonderful things.

• CanadianLori
    10 years ago

I bake a lot of bread and I get requests for my "hot" bread quite often.

I use a basic egg bread dough recipe and add finely chopped peppers - whatever is around - sometimes a little hot sauce too.

I also make basic bread dough and use it to make bread sticks. I form the dough into little sticks, roll them in oil which has had a hot pepper marinating in, then roll in a mixture of parmesan cheese with oregano and a little basil. Lots of requests for these little numbers too.

• hillseeker
    10 years ago

How did the brittle turn out?

I loved candied habaneros and even ghost peppers. Break them up and use them on cookies when rolled in cinnamon and sugar. Careful with qty.

I used the sugar to make caramels and they were BRUTAL because they stuck to the teeth. Nobody would attempt the ghost batch after trying the hab batch.

Key lime habanero cheesecake which was good but too spicy with chocolate habs.

I've used powders to make popcorn spice mixes or to spice caramel corn.

Sponsored
Davidson Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Full-Scale General Contractor