Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
john11840

Is This TS Morouga?

John A
12 years ago

This is my 3rd year to raise Trinidad Scorpion Morougas, but they have always turned red before. This year they seem to be staying yellow. Is this really a TS Morouga or some other yellow variety or a cross?

Comments (20)

• John A
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Well - I see I still don't know how to insert photos. Here is a link.
    John A

Here is a link that might be useful:

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    12 years ago

I guess they could be...
    they look close to what Neil shows on his pepper eating video.

Josh

• User
    12 years ago

Hi,

I'm not 100% sure but they don't look like the ones I grew from fresh seed this year.

Did you grow them from saved seed or fresh from Neil?

If saved seed, I'm not sure if TS Moruga is a stable hybrid, you'll have to ask Neil. There's always a chance the saved seed crossed as well.

Bill

• John A
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Bill - My original seed came from Beth at Peppermania, and the last 2 years they looked just like yours. This year's may be from seed I saved last year.
    John A

• rdback
    12 years ago

Hi John,

I kinda agree with Bill - they don't look like scorpions to me. Then again, Bill's don't either. They look more like a 7-Pot to me, so what do I know lol.

Rick

• User
    12 years ago

LOL Rick,

Yep, I agree. The TS Morouga Blend does end up looking like 7 Pots. I got my seed from Neil at the Hippy Seed Co. He describes them as probably to 2nd hottest on the planet but I found mine chimed in at the high Habanero end. I do get a hint of the Scorpion flavour (if you can call it that) from the pods. Regardless, it's a prolific plant, loads of funky hot pods.

Bill

• romy6
    12 years ago

They kind of look like some Red Fatali's I got from a friend. Here is a pic of a ts mourouga blend I got from Wayright.

• User
    12 years ago

Romy6,

I also had pods that looked just like yours, just not ripe when I took my picture.

Bill

• romy6
    12 years ago

One of the hottest peppers I have tried. What did you think Bill.

• User
    12 years ago

It wasn't as hot as I expected. As I mentioned earlier I found it around the high end of a Habanero, hotter by a bit.

Maybe I started with a genetically tame seed, my growing conditions or my taste buds are screwed up (probably the latter).

I also grew Trinidad Scorpion, 7 Pot, 7 Pot Jonah, 7 Pot Douglah and Bih Jolokia. With the exception of the Douglah, heat wise it was hard to distinguish which was hotter. They're all crazy hot but the Douglah was insane.

• romy6
    12 years ago

Bill, Man my Ts Morouga was more like the 7 pots , bhut's and butch T's from Wayright. Wierd thing is the Douglah was not as hot as the Assam Bhut or the Butch T. Like you said once they get into the super heat it is hard to tell which is the hottest.And one pepper on a plant is not as hot as the next. They all get ya good in the end. If you know what i mean.

• smokemaster_2007
    12 years ago

With all the pod variations especially with super hots these days and all the trades and sales going on with possibly unstable seeds.
    I think a lot of the stuff billed as 7 pot/Bhut/Scorpion this or that is getting pretty insane.
    Tons of venders out there looking to get on the super hot gravey train for 50 cents and up a seed.
    Naming a pod variation as a strain is good $$$.
    They already have your $ by the time you know you have a 7 pot jonah they call their super duper tongue burner lava strain.
    Even from isolated seeds they put out LOTS of pod variations.
    With everyone naming every pod variation something new it's getting hard to tell what you are really growing.

As far as Morougas go I think there are a couple different ones out there.
    I think that the original one was a 7pot X scorpion and then there is a Morouga red that to me looks more like a habanero but hotter.

The original Morouga Blend I've seen both Scorpion and 7 pot looking pods on the same plant and I've seen ones that looked either 7 pot or Scorpion looking pods on them too.

People grow seeds for 1 or 2 seasons,assume it's stable and call it a new strain when most were from non isolated seeds and are far from being grown out long enough to be anywhere near stable.
    Basically you get whatever the seed grows,call it whatever you want.
    As long as you got a super hot thats all you can hope for in general.

My Morougas never had an orange stage that I can remember-green to brownish color to red.
    This year mine are smooth skinned and hab/7 pot looking.

I guess you get what you get even from seed venders.

They grow pods from isolated buds but if the original seed isn't stable it's going to put out different pods eventually.
    Mother nature will ALLWAYS win.

I beleive it takes at least 8 generations of growouts to come close to being able to tell if a strain or variety is maybe stable.

• User
    12 years ago

I hear ya Smoke and agree.

Years ago, it seemed like the chili community's biggest source of confusion was people coming up with a different name for a pepper to sell it as something new. Now more and more, compounding naming confusion, people are adding minor variations to the names and claiming hotter than etc.

Maybe I'm getting older and more discerning (OK, jaded) but I'm getting very skeptical of claims about hottest, sweetest, largest etc.

This year I grew both 7 Pot and Trinidad Scorpions from seed obtained from a reputable vendor. If you picked a pod from both plants and put them in front of me, I'd be hard pressed to ID one or the other.

Bill

p.s. 8 generations will give you a 99.2% chance of true seed. Technically you'll never get to 100%.

• cmpman1974
    12 years ago

I have grown this one many years. In fact, I'm the one who originally got it and shared it worldwide. If someone thinks they are not hot, they probably don't have the real deal. :) They are insane.

Here's what they should be:

• smokemaster_2007
    12 years ago

Chris,you know where my seeds came from and how many years ago you spread the original seeds around.
    Seems like about the same time Butch was spreading around the Jonah Scorpions and 7 pots.
    2006 or earlier?

Don't let the date on the pic fool you.
    Chris has been spreading them around for several years.

Chris,if I remember right you speculated that they might be a Scorpion,7 Pot cross originally.
    That was quite a few years back...

Either way,I see a lot of different pods called 7 pot or Scorpion Morouga,Morouga Blend or Morouga red these days.

As I posted above,these days there seems to be a lot of different peppers billed as Morouga blend.
    Probably due to trading of non isolated seeds and the pod variations from the seeds.

Great picture Chris.

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    12 years ago

Nice pic!

They look just like Bill's, so at least two folks are growing the proper strain.

Josh

• cmpman1974
    12 years ago

I got them originally in early 2007. Sent seeds across the world in 2008. They've been grown in a lot of countries now. :) It's a definitely landrace in Trinidad as told to me by my original source. I have no doubt it's stable.

• esox07 (4b) Wisconsin
    12 years ago

Those little fellas look like little oranges. A wolf in sheep's clothing I am guessing. Great photo.
    Bruce

• John A
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Here is a link to a photo of the plant next to the one with yellow pods, also marked TS Morouga. Do I have the real thing now?
    John A

Here is a link that might be useful:

• User
    12 years ago

John A,

It looks right but as Chris (cmpman1974) said; "If someone thinks they are not hot, they probably don't have the real deal".

I tasted two of my pods and thought they came in a bit hotter than Habaneros. Yesterday I thawed a few pods I froze to make a jerk marinade. I tasted a piece after it thawed and Chris is right, it was insanely insane heat wise. I guess I tasted two duds off the plant in a row.

So, is it the real deal? You'll know when you taste it ;-))

Bill

Sponsored
Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living in Columbus, OH