Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
maple_grove_cr

Harvest fun

maple_grove_gw
9 years ago

Hey folks,

Got some photos to share from one of the first decent sized harvests here...

-Alex

Comments (22)

• maple_grove_gw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Photos are from last weekend.

• maple_grove_gw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Assorted chiles.

• maple_grove_gw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Limo.

• maple_grove_gw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Limon (left) and Limo (right) comparison shot.
    Similar flavor, limon is a little bit hotter.

• maple_grove_gw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Jamaican Gold.

Not as hot as I expected, but sweet with good flavor.

• maple_grove_gw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

More Jamaican Golds.

Jamaican me hungry.

• maple_grove_gw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

A few more.

• maple_grove_gw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for looking.

-Alex

• sandysgardens
    9 years ago

Great Harvest!!!!

• kentishman
    9 years ago

Nice job. Please identify the varieties in the picture labeled "Assorted Chiles." Are the orange ones Datils? And what are the small red ones you've put horizontally at the bottom of the picture?

Tom

• maple_grove_gw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Sure thing. Brain Strains at the top. The orange ones next down are Habenero Francisco. The larger yellow in the middle are Cantina Yellow. On the left are Naga Kings, while on the right are Chinese Nagas. The small red ones at the bottom are Sinahuisa.

-Alex

• woohooman San Diego CA zone 10a
    9 years ago

Nice harvest and great pics, Alex!

Kevin

• kentishman
    9 years ago

Thank you Alex. The Sinahuisa sound interesting. Would you be willing to make seeds available?

Tom

• ottawapepper
    9 years ago

A great harvest of a nice mix of varieties Alex! Nice shots too.

Thanks for posting,

Bill

• Lars
    9 years ago

Here are some habaneros that we (i.e., my brother) harvested last Saturday. All of these came from a three year old plant, and he picked fewer than half of the ripe ones. I bought a new plant, but it appears that I didn't need it! Now I will have to find homes for all the chilies, but that will not be a problem.

I definitely appreciate the amount of work that goes into picking so many chilies, which is why I had my brother do it. We roasted these chilies over mesquite charcoal & wood with some red bell pepper, a head of garlic, and some milder chilies, and then Sunday I made a sauce from them. I had to find my swim mask and snorkel first, however, so that I would not choke from the fumes. The sauce came out hotter than the last batch I made, possibly because I used fewer bell peppers, but I can always thin it down. I think it may last me six months or so.

Thanks for your beautiful pictures. I have some chilies that look like your Sinahuisa, but I lost the label on mine, and so I'm not sure what they are.

Lars

• maple_grove_gw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks, guys.

Tom, please send me e-mail and we can discuss.

Lars, that's a very respectable bowl of habaneros! I have been making hot sauce recently too. Thanks to the forum members for providing so many good recipes.

-Alex

• djgregory
    9 years ago

Great harvest, do you keep your plants outside or in like a greenhouse?

• maple_grove_gw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I grow outdoors, though my pepper plants are all grown in containers (5 gallon buckets). I'll try to get some photos of my plants and post them here tomorrow, if the weather cooperates.

• maple_grove_gw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

As promised, some more photos.

Going down to the plants...

Pepper area left side

Right side

Spot spitters for watering

Fatalii

Malaysian Goronong

Aji Omnicolor

7 Pot Yellow

7 Pot Burgundy Special

Mixed 7 Pot Yellow and 7 Pot Burgundy Special. 7 Pot Yellow is bumpier with a pointy tip, while the Burgundy Special is smoother.

Close-up comparison with Burgundy Specials on the left and 7 Pot Yellows right.

Rocoto Red

This is my first year growing this one. They're not turning red! I've left them on the plant for over a month, and they're starting to cork with a few even starting to soften, so I picked some today. If there's anyone experienced growing these, I'd appreciate your suggestions or thoughts on what to expect.

Plants:

-Alex

• DMForcier
    9 years ago

Nice! Great grow spot and amazing peppers. That Jamaican Gold looks highly yummy. The 7 Pot Yellow is actually scary.

Tell us about the "Burgundy Special" please. Named for the region of France? The wine? The color? All seem equally unlikely.

Dennis

• maple_grove_gw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks, Dennis. I actually don't know all that much about "7 Pot Burgundy Special" - it came from Jim Duffy but I didn't get a description. I was expecting burgundy colored pods, but as you can see the color is nearly identical to the Yellow 7 Pot. I plan to do a head-to-head taste test soon, but I'm not sure if my sense of taste is refined enough to detect the difference ;0). Most of the pods are in the dehydrator now.

• kentishman
    9 years ago

Looking mighty fine Alex!

Tom

Sponsored
Ed Ball Landscape Architecture
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars30 Reviews
Exquisite Landscape Architecture & Design - “Best of Houzz" Winner