Return to the Hot Pepper Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Grafted Peppers

Posted by georgew79 Z5 MO (My Page) on
Wed, Sep 26, 07 at 12:25

Hello all, To go along with a the question of the use of mutegins to cause triploid peppers, I was wondering if any one has or tried grafting one species of pepper on to another. I know that this may be a strange question, but I was wondering if grafting one species to another would work and if it would effect the peppers on the grafted material. ie C. chinense grafted to a C. pubescens root stock or limb. I know that they would not cross by pollination, but could genetic material be passed to the grafted stock?
George W. Z5-6 MO.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Grafted Peppers

No

Grafting does not affect genetics.

if you graft a jalapeno branch on a chinese plant then the branch will grow regular jalapeno and the plant will grow regular chinese.

o

I think that grafting can induce mutations that will show up from saved seeds and even on the immediate grafted branch.

Not an expert here and just posting what I think to be true.

o

I think you are right John. It makes sense.

o

well let's give it a try! i've rooted cuttings just fine, but i've never tried grafting. since its the end of the season, i need to do something with these plants, and i'd rather not watch them all die of frost damage.

i have c. annuum, c. baccatum, and c. chinense this year. what combinations do you suggest?

on further thought, my 6-plant hydroponic setup (waterfarms on a controller) has an aji colorado, two chimayo, and a habanero red savina in it. i lost two plants to the july storms. a cobra and a lemon drop. but i digress. this is a setup i can keep going all winter. I also have a thai hot ornamental (or thai sun pepper, whatever) that I will be bringing inside. She's in the raised bed right now. I know that she clones easily enough, so perhaps she grafts nicely too.

so thats whats coming in. i could transplant two other plants (cuttings or seedlings; open to suggestions) and try grafting on those.

what do you think? I have all winter to play with this. :)

o

Hi again if I was knew a bit more about grafting I might try it, but the problem where I'm at is a black hole and I would have to travel nearly 60 miles to find the needed suplies, but the trip might be worth it if I knew that it would work. If I was to maybe try grafting a fruit tree or two first to learn the process I might just try grafting a few peppers varieties or different species. I believe that C. chinense could be grafted on a C. frutescens stock as they are compatible when cross pollenating. I have some info some where on my computer that talks about hybridizing by grafting, but I can't remember what all it takes to get the grafts to hold.
George W. Z5-6 Mo.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hot Pepper Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here