Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tlbean2004

Can i keep this ornamental pepper inside the house?

tlbean2004
9 years ago

I just got an ornamental pepper plany from walmart and it is really pretty.
Can i keep it inside as a house plant?

Comments (12)

• djoyofficial
    9 years ago

I haven't tried but my guess is that as long as it gets plenty of sunlight you shouldn't have any problems.

A lot of people bring there pepper plants indoors over the winter so they don't die. Contrary to what a lot of people say hot peppers NOT annuals they can live for many years if ya don't let them freeze
    dj

• esox07 (4b) Wisconsin
    9 years ago

Yes, there are lots of threads dealing with "Overwintering Pepper plants". Peppers are actually perenials but are unable to survive the winters in most parts of the USA so they are typically grown as annuals.
    But this is what is suggested: Next, prune the foliage way back. I prune back to just above the second node above the main branching. Next, remove the pepper plant from the current container. Remove most of the soil from the roots and trim it down to about a softball size root ball. Then repot in a container that is about 3/4 to 1 gallon in size. Next, prune the foliage way back. I prune back to just above the second node above the main branching. Water sparingly and fertilize sparingly over the winter and put it in a place that will provide as much direct sunlight as possible. Watch for Aphids. They tend to attack overwintered pepper plants during the first couple weeks after bringing them in. If you find them, a few applications of insecticidal (organic) soap is all that you usually need to get rid of them.
    Here is a pictorial of the process on my Numex Twlight from a couple years ago:

The plant before pruning at the end of the season.

The plant just after pruning back:

The plant before pruning the root ball:

THe plant after pruning the root ball:

This is the plant all pruned and repotted in a smaller container:

The next spring, pot it back up to a larger pot and put it in the sun and let it go. You will get the same beautiful plant next year...probably bigger since it will have a head start.

Bruce

• byron_pdx
    9 years ago

Thanks for this awesome tutorial/how-to guide, Bruce!

I had sorta envisioned it this way, but it's nice to see some photos of the actual process.

--Byron.

• esox07 (4b) Wisconsin
    9 years ago

Yes, you can try to keep them inside over the winter without pruning but unless they get a lot of good light, they will struggle. The pruning allows the plant to require less light, water and nutrients. Plus, it makes it less of a target for pests such as aphids and other bugs that like to follow them indoors. Another reason for pruning is that it takes up much less room....besides, once the plant adjusts to the change in climate from outside to inside and the pruning, it will start putting out green all over the place. Most of the time, my plants have actually lost all their leaves very soon after pruning and bringing them in. But a week later, there were green shoots all over and a month later, I was again pruning to keep it in check.
    Bruce

• djoyofficial
    9 years ago

Lots of good info here (some I will be trying, thank you) but why do I feel like the OPs question went astray....? tlbean2004 in zone 7b asked about a houseplant, right?

Got way more than tlbean asked for....

Funny how things work out, I learned a lot!

dj

• cottonwood468
    9 years ago

In my extremely limited experience, it will not set fruit in the house.
    Mine started flowering in Feb and kept flowering. Flowers dropped until it was outside, and warm enough to stay out overnight. That was a chinense though.

Mary E.

• esox07 (4b) Wisconsin
    9 years ago

They can set fruit in the house. I have had several pods set. Not nearly like a plant outside though. Usually just a few. Many of my plants that I start from seed set pods before I can get them outside, but then they are getting a lot of artificial light. Light (Direct sunlight) is generally the limiting factor with plants indoors.
    Bruce

• thomas7608
    9 years ago

Bruce

The pictures and methods to bring a pepper plant indoors, for the winter are fabulous. You did an excellent job on providing the group with a very detailed step-by-step procedure with excellent pictures to accompany your method. It was very easy for me to understand with the visual aids. I very much like the pictures of the root pruning, which I never really understood ... how much to prune.

Thomas

• surya55_gw
    9 years ago

Bruce- thank you so much for the beautiful pictures and the explanations. I have over-wintered my one and only "wiri wiri" pepper plant for the past 3 years. I just chop off a few branches and leave it mostly as a houseplant, whereby the peppers keep on ripening until about mid-Dec. I'll save this link just in case I want to do this next year.

• esox07 (4b) Wisconsin
    9 years ago

No problem folks. It is always easier for me to explain through pictures although loading them to photobucket and then linking to them is kind of a pain. The web site only allows one per post. But as they say, "a picture is worth a thousand words". Probably 5000 of my words. Anyway, good luck if you decide to do it. It is a fund hobby while the snow is flying outside.
    If you do, post up a photo.
    Bruce

• Sugi_C (Las Vegas, NV)
    9 years ago

Bruce,

That plant is beautiful.
    I just looked up Numex Twilight and it looks like it's not hot...but that would make one hell of a patio plant.

Looks a lot like what I expect Takanotsume to look like...perhaps yours is bigger. Anyway, it's gorgeous!

Sponsored
MAC Design + Build
Average rating: 4.3 out of 5 stars18 Reviews
Loudon County Full-Service Design/Build Firm & Kitchen Remodeler