Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gfinnil

ornamentals

gfinnil
10 years ago

Looking for suggestions for next year and maybe even to try overwinter under light. I have read about Numex Twilight, would LOVE to try Thai Sun or any other prolific but EDIBLE ornamental...ideas please.
Jerry

Comments (11)

• kuvaszlvr
    10 years ago

NuMex Twilight is beautiful. I also like Black Pearl, Calico is spectacular, Filius Blue, Bolivian Rainbow, and Medusa. Marbles is ok.
    Pam

• nc_crn
    10 years ago

Fish pepper is a great ornamental for a tall-ish (2ft+) growing plant. It's not as tidy/compact as many ornamental peppers (because it's not meant to be one), but at the back of a planting area it provides variegated foliage + pods that are harvestable and tasty (if you like hot peppers).

• kuvaszlvr
    10 years ago

Good One, I forgot all about the Fish... Reminded me too of Purple Tiger, again, not meant to be ornamental but extremely ornamental. I'd be hard pressed to pick one or the other, Fish is really pretty, especially with those variegated pods.

Pam

• smokemaster_2007
    10 years ago

I just out these in the sprouter:

Black Pearl , Black thai , Blueberry , Black Cluster , Black Prince , Black Manaqualana , Black Cuban , A Black cross of some sort and Bombilla.

Bombilla looks like mini Jalapenos.
    One plant/version grows upturned pods and the other grows Pendant pods.

• John A
    10 years ago

Fiesta is also a very pretty multi-colored ornamental.
    John A

• willardb3
    10 years ago

All chiles are edible.

Black cluster:

• seysonn
    10 years ago

I have a dwarf one called SANGRIA. It has had fruits and flowers since I bought it in June. I have planted it in a mixed herbs planter along with: PARSLEY, CHIVES, SAVORY, BASIL.
    Fruits start as as purple and turn red when fully ripe.

I keep munching on the fruits and it keeps on growing more, nonstop. The tag, does not say anything about it being HYBRID. So I think it must be OP. So I will definitely save seeds and plant more next year.
    The best thing about it is that it is very low and compact and tolerates partial shade. It is truly an ornamental.

• smokemaster_2007
    10 years ago

Doesn't say it's a Hybrid from Bonnie plants but Park seed says it is.

http://parkseed.com/sangria-hybrid-ornamental-pepper-seeds/p/51524-PK-P1/

Here is a link that might be useful: Sangria

• sandysgardens
    10 years ago

Those that Pam and Mike mentioned are great, as well as the tallish fish and tiger. I also like 'Jigsaw' for it's variegated leafs...

Mike - you always have interesting peppers.

• smokemaster_2007
    10 years ago

I think my collection is history for a large portion of my personal stash.
    A power surge fried my Breaker box for a week.
    Apt, temps got 90+ degrees.
    I'm trying to go through my collection to see what seeds fried.
    Getting VERY low germination rates so far from even new seeds.

Looking like I gotta start over so far.
    5000+ varieties will take a while to test seeds for viability.

A LOT of the stuff I had isn't sold anymore due to the super hot craze.
    Trades are not reliable anymore either for the most part.

Well I guess it's time to go on the hunt again...
    TOO bad,I probably lost several landrace varieties that aren't replaceable.
    My personal stash was mostly pure vendor seeds and a LOT of landrace stuff from people I lost track of over the years from different countries.

Well at least now it'll be more exciting to see a bubble in my mail.
    It won't be an SASBE request but seeds I get for whatever from a seed company or trade.

I'm hoping that all the people who got SASBE's jump in with seeds I didn't need before but do need now.
    We'll see.

The game is afoot! (Sherlock Holmes)

• gfinnil
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Smokemaster...damn that sucks, good luck :(
    Jerry

Sponsored