Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kennifeera

Dark colored pepper seeds

Kennifeera
9 years ago

Hi, brand new member here.

I cant seem to find much on this at all by searching.

Can anyone tell me what causes pepper seeds to turn dark and unhealthy looking?

I suspect its cold weather because in the past my last harvests trying to beat the freeze is usually when I see this. I always grow jalapenos and Hungarian wax (I dont have much use for mild peppers except the large varieties like problem for chili rellenos) and usually an unusual or very hot pepper.

This year my unusual/hot pepper is "Thai hot" given to me by a nice lady at a Thai restaurant who was very proud of her garden and generous. I also have a volunteer plant that looks like it may be a serrano from a previous year.

In early season this year my parents brought me a bunch of hot banana peppers and most of the seeds were dark not the healthy light color they should be. Again I suspect its because they get very cold nights where they are up in the mountains. Zone 6 but they get those really cold nights even when the days are warm.

My Thai hots were late getting started so I want to let them go as long as possible and hopefully get some blush, red or at least orange colors form them. I want to dry and also pickle them whole so I want to avoid that "ugly seed" thing. Dont want to have to de-seed all those tiny hot suckers.

Any insight is appreciated!

Comment (1)

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH