Growlist 2013

Djole
11 years ago

Im thinking of growing the following:

Habanero (any color will do);

Butch T scorp

Naga Jolokia

Thai Dragon

Peter Pepper (absolutely must have tiny penises in my garden)

Jalapeno

Serrano

Tabasco

Fatali

Now my aim is to have as much of variety as i can. I've got annuums, chinenses and frutescens covered by this list. Do you guys/gals think pubescens and baccatums (aji?) are worth growing along as well? I have limited growing space and will need several plants of each, so if something wants in, other will have to go out (fatali? tabasco?).

Let me know what you think.

Cheers,

Djole

Comments (23)

• esox07 (4b) Wisconsin
    11 years ago

I have never worried too much of the class of the plant. But you do have a nice variety there and most are good stable time tested varieties. My one suggestion might be to grow an ornamental or two. Most of them are still good for eating but they just add another dimension to your selection.
    Bruce

• Djole
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks Bruce.
    Also what would be your choice between Butch T and Moruga Scorpion?

• DMForcier
    11 years ago

What are you planning to do with them? Eat? Sell? Give to unwary strangers?

• esox07 (4b) Wisconsin
    11 years ago

Djole: I guess I would pick the Butch T. That is what I grew this year. I guess I just kind of liked the name. No other reason really other than I wanted a Super hot...but then the Moruga would definitely fill that bill. I have no idea about taste since I am not about to eat one. I save them up and hand them out at Halloween to the kids.

Bruce

OK, before you all get your panties in a wad out there, I am clearly and unequivocally joking about giving them out for Halloween. Besides, I have lived where I do since 2007 and never had even one kid stop by for Halloween.

• User
    11 years ago

Djole,

If you're looking for the most flavourful between the ButchY and Moruga, I'd say go with the ButchT. If you're looking for the maximum heat potential and consistency in pod shape, then the Moruga. Regardless of what one you decide upon you're going to a damn hot pepper!

Bill

• peppernovice
    11 years ago

Geez Bruce....Just when I was thinking about trick-or-treating in your neighborhood!

Tim

• silkysoap
    11 years ago

Hi... First visit here. Growing "Peter Red" from greenhouse this year. Sort of slow starting. Maybe ultra heat which required sometimes twice daily watering. No color changes yet on about 4" pods grown in 14" pot. Strong bush about 26" across and 30" tall. It' s been assaulted by raccoons sever al times last month. Found pods on ground, ends chomped off. Hoped they'd burn their little tongues good. Maybe that happened since no recent occura nces. Pods are amusing and really gnarly looking. Friend tasted one, said was muy caliente! Hope they're coloring up soon. Getting cool at nite.

• Djole
    Original Author
    11 years ago

@DMF - All of the above ;)

@Bill & Bruce - Thanks, I'll go with Butch T. Sounds cool indeed... BUTCH!! ;) The hell with that Moruga... Morugaaaaaa.. oh, wait?!

• Djole
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Well I've found a nice seed company based in Netherlands (pepperseeds dot eu) with a huge selection of pepper varieties. Was kinda hard to make up my mind with 150+ varieties to choose from, in the end i bought the following:

Trinidad Moruga Scorpion Red
    Bhut Jolokia Red
    Habanero Chocolate
    Carribean Red
    Fatalii
    African Bird's Eye (piri piri)
    Aji Amarillo
    Jalapeno (TAM and standard)
    Serrano
    Penis (Peter) Pepper Orange

They also gave me gift seeds Orozco and Thai Hot Culinary.

It's itching so bad to get these started already. Will have to wait for Jan/Feb though.
    I'm curious of how my hot pepper enthusiasm will cope with Moruga and Bhut since i've never had a chance to go past that elusive 325.000 of a Hab.

• scorpion_john
    11 years ago

Djole, email me. I have seeds left over to give a
    way. And i still have ripe butch t's if you wanna try one. John

• chilliwin
    11 years ago

My growlist for 2013 are:

1. Aji Chuncho
    2. Bird's Eye Thailand
    3. Fatalii yellow
    4. Ghost Red/Yellow/Orange/Brown
    5. Goronong Malaysia
    6. Habanero Red/Yellow
    7. Lemon Drop
    8. Orozco
    9. Rocoto De Seda

1. Trinidad Moruga Scorpion
    2. Trinidad Scorpion Moruga Blend yellow

Trinidad Scorpion Moruga Blend and Bhut Jolukia Orange (pepperlover.com) are not yet arrive.

The pepperseeds.eu is nice and flexible they have a lot of varieties. I have bought Fatalii, Bhut Jolokia Red and got free sample Orozco. The Fatalii and Orozco are germinated but the Bhut Jolokia Red are not germinated. The color of the seeds are brown it is different from the seeds I have bought(pepperlover.com, eBay Australia and Germany). They are going to send new one to me. I hope it will be arrived soon.

Two times I have bought seeds from pepperlover.com most of the seeds I sowed were germinated. The shipping is free and seeds are cheaper. The germination rate are also very high.

All the packs contained 20 seeds.
    Bhut Jolokia Ogange $8.00
    Bhut Jolokia Red $6.00
    Fatalii yellow $3.00.
    Trinidad Scorpion Moruga Blend yellow $8.00

Someone here recommended this pepperlover.com to me. When my plants yield fruit then I will know more about this website.

I was thinking to ask the same question of the difference between the T.Scropion Butch and Moruga, now I got the answer here, thank you.

I am a beginner so I am not sure how many of my plants are going to yield good fruits.

Thank you for this thread.

Chili are really addictive as well as this forum too :)

• Djole
    Original Author
    11 years ago

LOL, my Bhut Red from pepperseeds.eu has brownish seeds too (different color from all the other pepper seeds i've planted so far). I just thought it's the Bhut thing, since i never saw it before.
    Chilliwin, please let me know whether the new Bhut seeds they sent you are different in color, and whether or not they germinate, so i can replace them in timely manner. Thanks :)

Cheers,
    Djole

This post was edited by Djole on Wed, Dec 12, 12 at 20:33

• chilliwin
    11 years ago

Djole they are going to send me the different color seeds, I will let you know when they are arrived. I had some experience of this color. All the similar color seeds I have bought from different places are not germinated.

Thank you

• chilliwin
    11 years ago

Hi Djole, today I got the new seeds from pepperseeds.eu the color are different. I hope it will be ok.

Take care,

Caelian

• Djole
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Good luck Caelian.

• User
    11 years ago

Just in case the Environment Canada Weather Forecast is right, I'm holding off planning my 2013 grow list until Saturday Dec. 22nd?

• tsheets
    11 years ago

Oh, Bill, how I wish I had seen this sooner!!! I just spent a couple hours last night working on my 2013 grow list! haha!

• nc_crn
    11 years ago

-edit- deleted...nevermind.

This post was edited by nc-crn on Tue, Dec 18, 12 at 20:59

• esox07 (4b) Wisconsin
    11 years ago

between, seeds, soils, nutrients, lights, heaters, greenhouses, water, not to mention paying ourselves even minimum wage for our time involved, and everything else we throw into growing peppers, it is just plain expensive all the way around. Clearly the supermarket is the cheapest place to get peppers.
    Bruce

• daisydawnny
    11 years ago

Seeds, soil and such may be expensive, but it ever so rewarding! Money well spent. My greenhouse is my haven. That's where I hide for some "me time".

• chilliwin
    11 years ago

deleted, sorry

This post was edited by chilliwin on Thu, Dec 27, 12 at 13:22

• chilliwin
    11 years ago

deleted, sorry

This post was edited by chilliwin on Thu, Dec 27, 12 at 13:23

• Djole
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Update:
    Had some very weird germination issues with pepperseeds.eu.
    All of the seeds were planted exactly the same and were held in the same conditions. The stats are:

Chinense:
    Trinidad Moruga Scorpion: 5/10, healthy seedlings
    Chocolate Habanero: 6/10, healthy seedlings
    Bhut Red: 0/10 !
    Fatalii: 0/10 !
    Carribean Red: 0/10 !

Anuums:
    Serrano: 2/10, but both very weak.
    Penis (Peter) Pepper: 8/10, healthy
    Jalapeno: 20/30, healthy
    TAM Jalapeno: 9/35, not very good
    Thai Hot Culinary: 0/10 !

Bacatuum:
    Aji Amarillo: 4/10, seem healthy

Frutescens:
    Piri - Piri: 0/10 !

With those, i've also planted 6 seeds of Naga Jolokia from T&M, 3 germinated and seem fine.

I find these inconsistencies very confusing, but as i said all of them had the same conditions - soil, position, temperature. The only difference is that i planted chinenses about 2-3 weeks earlier.

Sponsored