Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
megachili

3 new things to do with those Habs - with pics and recipes

megachili
14 years ago

Greetings, friends. My wife Kim and I have been having a blast figuring out new and creative things to do with habaneros, due to our high (and unexpected!) yield. I know people are sometimes stumped about what specifically to do with these pods. Weve been discovering that they are super-versatile. Here are THREE of our habanero-centric dishes, with pics and recipes. I will add more to this thread as we come up with new stuff.

Note: In the pic below are the kind of habs we used in all the recipes: traditional orange habs. Ours are a large-ish red. If you are using smaller store-bought habs, you might want to up the hab count for each recipe by a bit; for example, from 5 to 7, etc.

OK, letÂs look at the recipes. First up, habanero cookies!

DONÂT BE A WUSS LEAVE IN ALL THE SEEDS HUMONGOUSLY GREAT HABANERO PEANUT BUTTER COOKIES

We made 55 cookies in two versions of the recipe, and then proceeded to eat every last of them in one day. And that was WITH the two of us being on diets. Well, not that day, I guess. ThatÂs how good these came out.

Here is a pic of Version 1 (beta) of the cookie mix, which included coconut flakes and cashews. (We later took those ingredients out).

Here is a pic of the Version 1 (beta) cookies;

Here is close-up of one Version 1 cookie, where the habanero chunks are easy to see;

In version 2, we radically improved the recipe by making it into a straight habanero peanut butter cookie and deleting the coconut, cashews and some other spurious ingredients. This is the one that the recipe below will make. Here is a pic of these addicting cookies, seconds before being consumed:

And finally here is the recipe:

1 cup butter, softened

1 cup packed brown sugar

¾ cup white sugar

1 cup peanut butter

2 eggs

¼ teaspoon vanilla

5 minced (medium-sized) orange habanero peppers* (about 2+ tablespoons)

1 ½ cups all-purpose flour

2 teaspoons baking soda

1 teaspoon salt

¼ teaspoon ground ginger

¼ teaspoon cinnamon

1 cup peanut butter chips (ReeseÂs; alternative: chocolate chips )

½ cup lightly salted cocktail peanuts, chopped

½ cup shredded sweetened coconut

1 cup oats (regular or quick cooking, not instant oatmeal)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

In a large bowl, cream together sugar, brown sugar, white sugar, and peanut butter until smooth. Beat in the eggs one at a time until well blended. Add the vanilla and minced peppers. Combine the flour, baking soda, salt, ginger and cinnamon; stir into the creamed mixture. Mix in the peanut butter chips, peanuts, coconut and oats. Drop by rounded tablespoonful onto ungreased cookie sheets.

Bake for 13-15 minutes (depending on the size you make the cookies) in the preheated oven, or until just light brown. Don't over-bake. Cool and store in an airtight container.

Makes roughly 50-55 2.5" cookies

Removing the seeds and ribs from 2-3 of the 5 habs will result in a medium-spicy cookie. Adjust to taste.

Next up:

TROPICAL HABANERO CHUTNEY/SAUCE

I have previously posted an early version of this, but weÂve since improved the recipe considerably, and IÂm posting the improved recipe here. This is a medium-hot habanero-serrano chutney using pineapple and mango. ItÂs really great on Jamaican jerk type dishes where it blends in with the hab flavor of jerk, and also very good as a spicy sauce on shrimp, chicken, etc. Here is some of it sitting on chicken:

Here is a bunch of it canned  it has a nice multi-color (orange-red) look to it.

HereÂs a close up of one jar of it:

And here is the recipe:

Tropical Habanero Chutney

2 tablespoons butter

1 cup chopped onion

pinch of salt

2-3 cups small diced fresh pineapple

2 cups small diced fresh mango

1 cup small diced red bell pepper

2 small diced green serranos

2 tablespoons (5-6) minced orange habaneros, seeded and de-ribbed to taste

zest and juice of 1 lime

1/8 teaspoon allspice

1 cup vinegar

1/2 cup white sugar

1 tablespoon cornstarch

2 tablespoons water

In a saucepan over medium heat, melt butter. Add onions. Season with salt and sauté for 2 minutes

Add pineapple, red bell pepper, habanero, jalapeno, lime, allspice. Saute until pineapple is soft, around 7 minutes, stirring frequently

Add vinegar and sugar. Bring mixture to a boil.

Combine cornstarch and water in bowl and whisk until smooth; stir into main bowl and return to a boil.

Cook for 4 minutes, stirring constantly.

Remove from heat and let cool completely.

Store in airtight container until ready for use.

( This recipe is an adaptation of an Emeril recipe, though itÂs changed a lot. HereÂs a link to the original Emeril one: http://www.fineliving.com/fine/entertaining/article/0,2498,FINE_22197_5927849,00.html )

Third up:

HELLFIRE PEPPER TAPENADE

OK, that name might be a bit of an exaggeration  itÂs hot but, um, not quite hellfire. Sounds good, though. This is a tapenade consisting of different kinds, colors, and heat levels of peppers, but the main influencing flavor is, of course, the mighty habenero. It has a medium heat level while being consumed, but leaves that pleasant sheen of habanero afterburn on the lips for 15-20 minutes post-meal. This was an experimental dish, but it came out so much better than expected, and is an excellent hot pepper spread for bread, meats, etc. I highly recommend giving it a shot.

HereÂs what the recipe will look like right after preparation:

HereÂs what it would look like on a couple pieces of bread:

And here is the recipe:

¼ cup almonds

5 tablespoons olive oil, divided

2 large sweet onions

1 whole bulb (not clove) of garlic

¼ teaspoon salt

1 tablespoon brown sugar

5 whole orange habaneros*

5 jalapenos, seeded and de-ribbed

3 large sweet peppers, e.g. bells, cubanelles, etc.

1 tablespoon smoked paprika

1 tablespoon ground chipotle chile (e.g. brand: Spice Islands)

2 tablespoons white balsamic vinegar

2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil

½ tablespoon chopped fresh rosemary

Preheat oven to 425

Separate garlic bulb into cloves; peel cloves; leave whole

Cut onions and all peppers into roughly ¾ inch pieces

Place garlic, onions and peppers into a 1 gallon plastic ziplock bag

Add 2 tablespoons olive oil, salt, chipotle powder, smoked paprika into the bag

Seal bag and toss mixture for a minute or two (to coat vegetables)

Empty bag onto large cookie sheet; roast in oven for 30-35 minutes, flipping half-way through to promote even browning

Remove from oven and let cool

Grind almonds in food processor (pulse) until coarsely ground

Add all vegetables from cookie sheet, 3 tablespoons of oil, 2 tablespoons vinegar, basil and rosemary to food processor

Process until smooth with small chunks; do not liquefy. Use pulse.

* itÂs hot! Seed/de-rib some of the habs to taste

Enjoy! We are continuing our habanero R&D effort and there should be at least one more new dish this week.

Comments (17)

• the_pepper_guy
    14 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Man, I love the habanero peanut butter cookie recipe. I think this will be the first thing I will do when mine turn orange. I am still waiting on the harvest of habs to come my way. I couldn't help myself and picked a couple green ones today. Thanks for the great recipes.

• mudmanfinisher
    14 years ago

Megachili, I find your habanero, peanut butter cookie intriquing and I'm going to try making the recipe. I'm not a knowledgeable cook nor a baker. I noticed soft butter is in the recipe but you didn't mention when that was added to the recipe. Can I assume it goes in with the initial ingredients that you listed? I know a guy who eats habs by themselves and I'm going to make it a scorching cookie for him.

• megachili
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Mudman, oops! It turns out there's a wrong word in the recipe; it should say "In a large bowl, cream together BUTTER, brown sugar, white sugar, and peanut butter until smooth. Thus, as you suspected, it is included in the first step. Good luck!

• sandpebbles
    14 years ago

yummo...your tapenade looks delicious. but i have to agree with everyone also those cookies peeked my interest. who would have thought.

• t-bob
    14 years ago

have you tried or considered adding any good chocolate chips in the cookie recipe....seems like that might be another good ingredient.....thanks for all---bob

• megachili
    Original Author
    14 years ago

We are absolutely putting chocolate chips in the next batch of hab cookies, t-bob. We're working hard on the chinense-chocolate angle now, in fact. Last night, we made habanero dark chocolate fudge, which came out well but needs further tweaking. We have two dozen fataliis marching toward ripeness on the plant right now, and our thinking is to use orange habs as "stand ins" to test the recipe, but with the final goal being fatalii orange dark chocolate fudge in a couple weeks when we have ripe fataliis to work with. More to come on that....

• organic_dusty
    14 years ago

Megachili- This is my version of the Habanero Peanut Butter cookies. I took the recipe out of my America's Secret Recipes 1 for Mrs. Fields Peanut Butter Cookies and added 2 minced orange habs and 2 minced red habs. Boy are they hot! My husband and I tried one each before dinner and now we have decided we need to eat one with a tall glass of milk. I can't believe you ate all of the cookies in one night. I guess next recipe will only have 3 habs instead of 4:)

Thank you for the inspiration:)

Dusty

• organic_dusty
    14 years ago

The Florida Heat must produce Hotter Habs because we are certainly not wimps as I took out all of the seeds and it they are still extremely hot.....can't wait to share them with the folks at work:)

Dusty

• mudmanfinisher
    14 years ago

Megachili, went to bed last night thinking about your hab, peanut butter cookies. Got up this morning went to Trader Joe's and bought the things I needed. No peanut butter chips so I substituted chocolate chips. Used my own habs, 4 medium sized with seeds and ribs included. Never baked before so I surprised myself. They turned out very well. Not as hot as I thought they would be. They had heat as you swallowed the cookie. The heat did not last very long. Certainly didn't take milk to enjoy them. Would more habs make them hotter. Like I said last night they're really not for me, but a friend who likes hot food. I will take them to work tomorrow and let him try them. Wish I had some Bhut's. Thanks for the recipe.

• megachili
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Dusty: niiiiiice work on them hab cookies! They look a little more polished than our rustic batch, but with the same cool little orange hab pieces sticking out of the top and sides!

mudman: you'll definitely get more heat if you put in more habs. It's hard to say why your cookies aren't very hot. Could be the habs (mild plant, or hot plant but a mild batch of habs after a rainstorm - mine do that), or the mix of ingredients, or your heat tolerance, etc. I've found it's just kind of a crap shoot. That's why I usually just put 5 habs, 3 with seeds/ribs removed, into almost any mid-sized recipe like these cookies - there's a randomness factor involved with the heat, so I figure that quantity provides an average, everyday hot-but-tolerable heat level that can then be tweaked as needed. The butter and sugar in this recipe definitely absorbs and disperses some of the heat, but still, it shouldn't be mild with 4 habs w/ seeds and ribs. Maybe try 5 or 6 next time. I should note that the tapenade has a higher perceived heat level than the cookies, so if you're trying to make something brutal and cruel, that might be something else to try ;) Also, have you tried a raw hab off your plant to verify the heat level? Sometimes they come off the plant milder, due to weather. good luck!

• organic_dusty
    14 years ago

Imitation is the most kindest and sincere form of flattery. I am glad you liked the look of my cookies Megachili, thank you again for inspiring me:):) You are spot on the heat of the habaneros.....some are definitely hotter than the others.

Dusty

• mudmanfinisher
    14 years ago

Megachili, thank you for responding to my post from yesterday. I believe my cookies were hot enough, the people I gave them to say they could certainly detect the heat. The peppers I used were defined as hotties from the nursery. They're a large hab without the pungent taste. I sampled the cookie and felt the heat. I wouldn't eat a hab right off the plant. In a Thai dish, spice beyond medium would interupt the enjoyment of the dish. I basically grow them so others can eat them. I've given habs away this year and the people said they were hot. I'm amazed at people who are capable of eating a medium sized hab and not making comment about the heat. A friend of mine does that and I was trying to make them hot enough to hear him squawk about how hot they were. He spent the day, nonchalantly eating about 10 large cookies I gave him this morning at work. If I could buy some Bhuts I would use your recipe and give them to him. In your post you mention tapenade, I'm assuming that's a pepper. In terms of scoville heat units, how does it stack up against the habs. I live in Portland and have not heard of tapenade.

• mudmanfinisher
    14 years ago

Megachili, after posting last night, as I scrolled down the page I realized that your recipe for tapenade was in front of my eyes. Please forgive my lack of knowledge regarding this. I'm sure I looked foolish on last nights post. I'm going to make the tapenade recipe and give it to my friend. More habs this time.

• megachili
    Original Author
    14 years ago

mduman, haha I was wondering if perhaps they didn't have tapenade out there in Portland. It's usually Olive Tapenade, made with green or black olives (or both). It's used as a spread on bread, appetizers, cheese, etc. A French thing. There's actually no such thing as pepper tapenade; I think it's always olives. We just made it up! The recipe above is hot - much hotter than the cookies even with the same # of habs.

Well the fact that you're using Hotties and not habs definitely explains the mildness. I've heard those Hotties are very low pungency. I'm going to grow a few next year - I like the idea of a less pungent hab that has the unique flavor but is a bit easier on the mouth. Would you say it has no heat, a little mild heat, or is it hot but just not habanero hot, like a jalapeno or something?

• mudmanfinisher
    14 years ago

Megachili, you asked about the heat level in the hotties, reluctantly I sampled one. I cut a sliver off of one and ate it. They are hot, burned my tongue, lips and nose. The heat lasted for about 5 minutes. They smell hot and look out. When I made the cookies I used my food processor to mince the habs, I washed it thoroughly, I used it again this afternoon and could smell the oil from the habs etched into the mixing bowl. It is not a pleasant aroma, to me. My favorite pepper is roasted Poblamo's. Minor heat and tasty.

• tsheets
    14 years ago

Thanks for the link pointing to this thread, megachili! And thanks for the recipes!

• tn_veggie_gardner
    14 years ago

Yea, I soooo gotta make some of that chutney this year! :)

Sponsored
Remodel Repair Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Westerville