Return to the Hot Pepper Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Drying Orange Thai's?

Posted by lisazone6_ma z6 MA (My Page) on
Wed, Sep 23, 09 at 13:37

I'm growing Orange Thai hot peppers for the first time this year. They're finally starting to turn orange and I picked a few to try - I bit the tip off of one, crunched it up and...nothing! So I took another bite, this one containing some of the seeds, and wow!!! What a blast of heat!! Anyway, these are tiny things - a few are a bit longer but most of them are less than an inch long and about half the thickness of a pencil, if they're even that big around. They're much tinier than what I'm used to as far as hot peppers go, and I have no idea whether they'll dry. I was assuming they'd dry right on the plant the same way some Thai red hot peppers I grew a few years ago did.

So do I just leave them on the plant hoping they'll dry, or do I pick them and let them dry? I don't have any kind of dehydrator or anything like that - the best I could do is use my oven or spread them out in the sun. I suppose I could pickle them as well, but I'd prefer to just use them dry and that way I can grind some as I like to make up mixes of different types of hot pepper.

Thanks!

Lisa

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Drying Orange Thai's?

I grew Bolivian rainbow, which are also teeny. I cut them open and dried them at room temperature. I'm not sure about drying them whole at room temp-- oven on the lowest setting might be a better bet, to reduce the risk that they'll mold.I haven't tried it with peppers, but it worked with fruit. (It took hours and hours though).

o

With thin skinned peppers like the Thai, Once they are ripe, you can pick them and string them into a rista,They will dry and the seed will be viable.
Photobucket
Kevin

o

for one time fairly small batches...If you have a gas stove, the pilot light usually raises the temp in the oven a bit and you can dry them in there. With an electric stove you could set on its lowest to speed things up but check to make sure its not too hot.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hot Pepper Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here