Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
albundy4275

Newby Mistake Recovery Question

AlBundy4275
10 years ago

I bought some seedlings probably to late this season. I've had them indoor by an east facing window with lighting to supplement. I do not have a fan on them and the light was probably to far away. Some are leggy, some I'm still trying to get healthy.

Since I live in Southern California, should I harden off, transplant, and get these outside? Will I have to bring them back inside in a few months? Some have buds, some have peppers. For the leggy plants, should I do a combination of planting deeper and pruning?

I read the FAQ and searched for pruning. I did read the thread about pruning seedlings but I didn't know if the advice would change if I was trying to correct a leggy plant.

Thank you in advance for any advice given.

Comments (3)

• woohooman San Diego CA zone 10a
    10 years ago

Doubtful that you'll get any harvest to speak of. Unless you live directly on the coast, the frost will get them in December/Jan. Not to mention the decreasing sunlight.

I'll be picking peppers then, but mine are well established(outside in April). Unless you have a light grow setup and/or a greenhouse, October is way too late for anywhere in the U.S. besides maybe Miami or Galveston.

You could "try" to overwinter them, but why? They're leggy and you could just get started indoors from seed under shoplights in Early Jan. like a lot of us do.

The latest you should be planting peppers in most of SoCal is early July. The best time is probably(depending where you are), is April/May.

I'm not trying to discourage you. Just trying to warn you -- don't expect much.

If you feel you really want to give them a shot, go for it. A suggestion though -- try containers. That way, you could haul them into the garage each night when it's cool and get outside during the days when the temps are in the 70's/80's.

If you do decide to do it, then yes...harden off now. And you can plant an inch or so deeper than soil level to straighten out the legginess.

Good luck.

Kevin

• AlBundy4275
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks Kevin. I was not counting on harvesting. I just didn't know if removing the buds and few peppers would further stress the plants. I was going to plant in pots and was hoping the remaining warm weather could generate some decent roots prior to it cooling down. I do want to try to overwinter.

• jean001a
    10 years ago

You'll have much more success, and far better yields, if you start over in spring with fresh transplants installed outdoors at the correct time.

Jean
    who gardened for 30-some years in Long Beach,CA