Return to the Hot Pepper Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
bhut powder

Posted by jp10550 Ga (My Page) on
Thu, Sep 6, 12 at 14:51

A love to add pepper powder to almost anything I eat. I dehydrate them in dehydrator then put them in a coffee grinder to make the into powder. Then just sprinkle on food like salt or pepper. Yummy! These are some bhut i just dehydrated and about to add to the jar.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: bhut powder

That is what I am looking to do. i have a lot of peppers i'm waiting to ripen. there's no way i could use them all fresh. May I ask where your got the dehydrator and about what it cost?

thanx,
Andy

o

You can get one for $40 or less at Walmart or any big grocery store. I've had mine for 5+ years.

o

great, thank you, O look forward to drying them and being able to spice things up until next years crop

o

• Posted by esox07 4b Wisconsin (My Page) on
    Thu, Sep 6, 12 at 17:12

I bought a reall nice one at wally world last year for about $30. I was tired of listening to my wife complain when she would go to grind up some coffee beans and make a pot of Bhut, Moca coffee. So, I said, fine, you keep the ten dollar grinder and I went and got a real nice one. Has settings for grind, drip, expresso, etc...

I have a question though, Do you grind up the whole pepper or just the skin. I usually grind up the skin, seeds, pulp and all.
Bruce

o

I grind everything but the stem.

o

Grind them as you need them and they'll stay fresher longer.

Also, try toasting them 1st in a hot skillet for a minute or so. Adds a whole other dimension.

o

put a little powder in a sandwich bag with your favorite chip and shake. Makes great chips, how ever, my unsuspecting co-workers don't like them. Lol, John

o

And when you try for the first time be sure and wear gloves and something over your mouth and nose. The fine powder gets in the air and will make you cough.

o

I often remove excess seeds before grinding. I don't mind if some make it in, but, I don't see a need for excess seeds.

o

Oh, and I also grind in small batches as needed. also, when I'm making chili seasoning I toast the peppers in a skillet before grinding. It does add a nice extra flavor.

o

I would Imagine putting them on a skewer and throwing them on the grill for a few minutes would intensify the flavour as well. hollow out Habaneross, stuff them with a scallop, warp in bacon and cook on grill. of course bhuts would be a little for for that.

o

Smoke them then dry them for the best powder :)

o

Jaime...how the heck would you know? You've only made 15,000 lbs of powder.....this year. :)

Tim

o

That's a good amount of "gun" powder there jp10550!

Ditto romy6 on smoking them first.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hot Pepper Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here