Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bberkmor

Please Help ID pepper

bberkmor
11 years ago

Hey, I bought a product in Tennessee back in march (http://www.amazon.com/Ghost-chili-pepper-hottest-world/dp/B002OMV09W) and thought I would give it a shot for the first time growing anything. Unfortunatly The peppers don't look like bhuts. I was thinking possibly a purira pepper, because of the Upright growth and purple blotches. I've only eaten 2 premature peppers from 2 of the 4 plants that I have. Was a quick heat that lasted about 5 mins, and very good flavour. 3 of the 4 plants have purple peppers, but all grow upright. They were flowering like crazy and got tired of picking like 50 flowers a day to let them grow bigger so i just let them do there thing so I realize the plants (especially 2 of them) are a little small to have so much fruit on them. I will post all the photos I have. 2 Have just started to ripen in the past few days can't wait to try them ripe. Please help. :)

Comments (28)

• bberkmor
    Original Author
    11 years ago

another pic

• bberkmor
    Original Author
    11 years ago

another pic

• bberkmor
    Original Author
    11 years ago

yet another

• bberkmor
    Original Author
    11 years ago

another pics, all plants were outside up until 2 weeks ago

• bberkmor
    Original Author
    11 years ago

2nd last one

• bberkmor
    Original Author
    11 years ago

last one, any help would be appreciated thanks!

• User
    11 years ago

I looks a lot like a NeNex Twilight.

Contact the vendor to get things corrected. If you don't get satisfaction, post a review on Amazon with a picture of your so called "ghost" pepper and contact Amazon.

• DMForcier
    11 years ago

Yeah, this isn't anywhere close to a plant that might be considered "World's Hottest" anything. It was either a mistake or - more likely - a con by the vendor.

• User
    11 years ago

Doh, here's the shot...

• esox07 (4b) Wisconsin
    11 years ago

I agree with ottawa, it is a Twilight. Here is a photo of mine from a couple days ago.
    Bruce

• User
    11 years ago

Nice shot and a healthy looking plant Bruce.

• woohooman San Diego CA zone 10a
    11 years ago

Ditto ottawa! That's an awesome shot and plant Bruce!

Tell me -- How in the hell do you have a plant THAT nice looking at that maturity? There's not one single blemish! What do you use for pest control?

Kevin

• esox07 (4b) Wisconsin
    11 years ago

I basically had no real problems with pests this year. Aphids hit my rose bushes and new crab apple trees early in the spring but nothing on the peppers even though they were within 10 feet of each other. I had something bore a hole in my prize Orange Bell Pepper and I had to shoo the damn Japanese beetles away all summer, but nothing serious. I kept finding big grass hoppers all of August on my peppers but it didn't seem they were eating anything. I grew it for ornamental reasons and it didn't disappoint.
    I would like to give props to Ottawapepper (Bill) for donating me the seeds.
    Here is a full shot of the Twilight. I have already harvested about 3-400 seeds from red (ripe) pods. So I will have plenty to send out later this fall to those who would like them....but later please. After the growing season is over up here which shouldn't be too much longer with a freeze warning tonight already.
    Bruce
    Bruce

• Djole
    11 years ago

Thats a beautiful plant Bruce :)

• bberkmor
    Original Author
    11 years ago

hey, thanks for the responses. I didn't know about twilights as I am new to this. If they are twilight the taste doesn't seem bad or unpleasent at all to me, unlike what I've just read online. I just ate the smaller ripe one and it had much more of a kick than the ones I've tried before.
    Also the size of the pods on websites say less than 2cm long. A lot of the peppers are about 3.5cm long and 2cm thick. Is that to big to be twilight? How big are the pods on your plants?

• bberkmor
    Original Author
    11 years ago

also just another question all the leaves in the twilight photos look more skinny and pointed with lighter edges mine are between 1.5 to 2" wide by 3 to 3.5" long if that makes any difference. Just trying to be sure. And do you think there is no chance of being a purira because they do look similar but are around 2 inches long. Thanks again for the help

• esox07 (4b) Wisconsin
    11 years ago

bberkmor:
    Here is a photo of several of my Twilight pods with a couple coins for size reference.
    Bruce

• scorpion_john
    11 years ago

thats a beautiful plant bruce, i will be interested in trading when ur ready. Hows it taste? John

• bberkmor
    Original Author
    11 years ago

hey thanks for the photo for some size comparison, my unripe pods compared beside the coins are definetly bigger.
    I would say my larger ones are close to twice the size.

• bberkmor
    Original Author
    11 years ago

sorry about the pic quality i used my phone. Heres a couple comparisons, the pods are about as thick as the penny

• bberkmor
    Original Author
    11 years ago

2nd photo

• User
    11 years ago

bberkmor,

It was hard to gauge the size of the pods in your original posts but if "A lot of the peppers are about 3.5cm long and 2cm thick" then it's not a Twilight. I think your penny shots put the nail in the coffin of my original ID, I've never had a Twilight put out 3.5 cm long pods. I have had Chinese 5 Color put out pods the size of yours but you may have been right in your first guess, Purira.

Bill

• bberkmor
    Original Author
    11 years ago

hey thanks for the reply. Ya i thought they looked a bit to big compared to your twilight. I guess I will never be sure. :(

• User
    11 years ago

bberkmor,

If you want to give growing a Bhut Jolokia from seed a shot sent me an email via my profile page, I can forward some non-isolated seed.

Hey, based on comments about you your vendor on Amazon, you'll do better taking a chance on my non-isolated seed than getting a replacement product from them ;-))

Bill

ps. here's a shot of a true Bhut (albeit not 100% ripe) from my plant this year. I decided to pull it before the earwigs got it.

• esox07 (4b) Wisconsin
    11 years ago

bberkmor: Not sure then if it isn't a Twilight. I suppose it could be a hybrid. I have one plant that was supposed to be a Black Cuban. I got the seed from the same source as the twilight and I think it wound up being a cross. Two of my Black Cubans came out normal but one didn't have the dark leaves and it had twilight shaped pods but they were black and red when ripe like the Cuban. The pods are also significantly larger than the Twilights even though they are shaped like twilights. The plant has the twilight pod shape and leaf color but has the pod colors and size more in line with the Black Cuban. Here is a picture of it from just over a week ago. The pods are all black and red now. Actually a nice looking plant.
    Bruce

• User
    11 years ago

LOL Bruce, I checked my Black Cuban Cross as well. Nothing close to the 3.5 x 2 cm size though. I agree, not a bad looking ornamental. I'll be saving seed and growing out F2 next year to see what I get.

You're right, bberkmor's plant could be a cross or, could be a ???.

• bberkmor
    Original Author
    11 years ago

ya it could definetly be a cross, i just emailed the company (thepatentmagicplant) to see if they can give me a response as to what it might be crossed with or what kind of pepper. there site only has bhuts, habs, chocolate habs, cherrys and chili's. nothing like what i got lol. Its a as seen on tv type company it looks like but its weird that i got such different peppers.

• bberkmor
    Original Author
    11 years ago

so i got a response from the company and they said they are going to investigate what happened. They claim this would be the first time this has happend. (if thats true i got bad luck) No answer or what they could of mixed them up with though. They are sending me some smoked bhuts to snack on until they figure out what happened.

Sponsored
KP Designs Group
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars50 Reviews
Franklin County's Unique and Creative Residential Interior Design Firm