Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
judo_and_peppers

Tim!

judo_and_peppers
10 years ago

you're killing me! so far you've sent me 2 packages of awesomeness, and I've sent you nothing in return. I tried to offer you some seeds in exchange but you didn't respond to the email (you just sent me a package instead!). well, now I have your return address from the package you sent. you're getting some hot sauce in the mail soon, and there's nothing you can do to stop me!

out of curiosity, what's in the devil dust? is it safe to assume from the name it's devil's tongue powder? rest assured I'll be making delicious stuff with it, and the strawberry moruga jam will be going on my bagel tomorrow morning (how did you know I love strawberries?)

Comments (7)

• mspeppajo
    10 years ago

Hi Tim!

I had to laugh when I saw this!! This is exactly how you were with me last year!!

• peppernovice
    10 years ago

MsPeppaJo.....You never e-mailed me your new address. I can't send you a package without an address.

Jason.... The devil dust is a mixture of everything I grew this year. It does have yellow devil's tongue peppers, but It also has everything from habs to Trinidad scorpion moruga blend peppers.

Tim

• judo_and_peppers
    Original Author
    10 years ago

yeah that devil's dust has a kick! I had to wonder, I didn't expect the devil's tongue to be so hot! I licked the very tip of my finger and dipped it in and tasted it. holy crap my mouth was burning for a good 20 minutes. my wife thinks the aji+hab powder smells delicious (I do too). after my experiences with the devil dust, I was afraid to sample that one. I gotta look up recipes for using powder to make hot sauce. cool jars too.

the strawberry jam was delicious though. absolutely delicious. it's got the perfect level of kick too. it's gonna start my mornings off right, with a nice bit of burn to wake me up.

• peppernovice
    10 years ago

The aji lemon/ orange hab is a lot milder. You should be safe with that one. Glad you liked the jam. I got the recipe from this site last year. I can't remember who posted it....Mark maybe....not sure. I tweaked it a little, I use 2 lbs of strawberries. Just let me know if you want the recipe. I've made it with ghost, 7 pots, and Morugas. I haven't had any luck making hot sauce. I tried a couple recipes last year, but I didn't like any of them. I'll be more than glad to give your's a try.

Tim

• seysonn
    10 years ago

I also want to thank Tim for his kind offer, without me even asking him directly for some seeds.
    I feel like JUDO too. I was expecting just a few seed. Guess What I got ? A big package with lots of pods.

So I owe him big time. But I don't think I will ever be able to pay it of.

All I can say is: THANK YOU TIM !

• judo_and_peppers
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Tim, I may need that recipe after all, I'm running dangerously low on that jam already, and it's been just over a week. I've got some brain strains that'll be ripe soon, I imagine those would taste good with strawberry.

next batch of bottles comes in tomorrow, I'll be sending you some hot sauce not long after that.

• peppernovice
    10 years ago

No need to thank me guys. I enjoy sending it as much as you guys enjoy receiving it. Just remember to pay it forward. There are lots of guys here who helped me get started, so I try to return the favor by helping others. Here's that recipe:

Strawberry Ghost Jam
    with liquid pectin

4 cups crushed strawberries (about 2 quart boxes strawberries)
    1 bhut jolokia (ghost pepper/ or pepper of your choice)
    7 cups sugar
    1 pouch liquid pectin
    Yield: About 8 or 9 half-pint jars

Please read Using Boiling Water Canners before beginning. If this is your first time canning, it is recommended that you read Principles of Home Canning.

Procedure: Sterilize canning jars and prepare two-piece canning lids according to manufacturer's directions.

To prepare fruit. Sort and wash fully ripe strawberries; remove stems and caps. Crush berries.

To make jam. Measure crushed strawberries into a kettle. Add sugar and stir well. Place on high heat and, stirring constantly, bring quickly to a full boil with bubbles over the entire surface. Boil hard for 1 minute, stirring constantly. Remove from heat and stir in pectin. Skim.

Fill hot jam immediately into hot, sterile jars, leaving ü inch headspace. Wipe rims of jars with a dampened clean paper towel; adjust two-piece metal canning lids. Process in a Boiling Water Canner.

* I modified this slightly. I used 2 lbs. of strawberries, and 1 and 1/2 pouches of liquid pectin.

I got this recipe from someone on here last year. I can't remember who it was. Thanks if you're looking.

Tim

Sponsored