Return to the Hot Pepper Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Pruning peppers to make fruit ripen before first frost

Posted by gardenerzone4 5b (My Page) on
Sun, Sep 9, 12 at 15:30

Hi Everyone, I grow sweet and bell peppers in Zone 5b. I read that 4-6 weeks before first frost, you can prune off the top pepper branches to redirect energy into ripening existing fruit. My question is, does it have to be pruning off top branches, or can I just pinch off flowers from the top branches?

Taking out the top branches seems like it will 1) encourage plant to grow more branches (pruning spurns new growth), and 2) rob the plant of the energy from those leaves, which can help the existing fruit to ripen.

Would it do the same thing if I didn't prune off any top branches, but prevent those branches from bearing fruit by pinching off the flowers on them?

Also, before frost, I read on this forum that you can cut the pepper plants at the base and hang the entire plant upside down in the garage to keep picking peppers off of the drying plants for 3-4 weeks. This is supposed to be better than just picking the peppers and putting them in the fridge. Can anyone help me understand why? Also, how to prevent the fruits from growing mold when hanging on the plant in the garage? Last year, a lot of the peppers I picked and stored in the garage (not on the plant) grew mold inside, even though they looked fine on the outside. That was disappointing...

Thanks for your help and expertise!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Pruning peppers to make fruit ripen before first frost

Yup it works. The deer did it for me :)

o
RE: Pruning peppers to make fruit ripen before first frost

Hi I wanted to talk to you about the drying process and mold.
I have only found one way to avoid mold besides dehydrating in a dehydrater. Firstly unless you live in Arizona,new mexico or any other desert, your probably will mold. I either pickle my peppers, freeze them, or this technique. You must thinly slice all your peppers, and I mean thin slices and put them on plates or some cardboard say 24 pk cardboard dog food container and place them right in front of a window ac. within 24 hrs they will be about 90 dehydrated and another 24 hrs theyll be past any stage to mold. In about a week they will be flaky, dry where you could actually crush them like flakes or powder. once they are fully dry like 3 weeks or so, then you can store them in something airtight like zip lock bags and take all the air out.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hot Pepper Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here