Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
joeyhoang81

newbie w/ bhut seeds

joeyhoang81
13 years ago

I recently ordered some bhut seeds online and hopefully i'll received them soon. I have a few questions before I start doing anything w/ the seeds.

1. Does the soil needs to be sterile? I work in the lab and I can autoclave the soil

2. Is this a good time to start sowing the seeds since the plants won't be spending anytime outside. Should I wait until Jan. or Feb.? If the seeds sit in a cool dry place, how long will it stay good for planting?

3. how much soil is enough for sowing seeds? 2" , 3" or more?

thankx much in advance....

Comments (14)

• User
    13 years ago

joeyhoang81,

Welcome.

I'm a few hundred miles north of you and I start my Bhuts in January. They're a slow grower and can take 8 months to produce ripe fruit.

Regarding your other Q's, I suggest you review the guides in the link below. It's really not that complicated (no need for an autoclave but it would be cool if I had one).

Have a look and fire any additional Q's back at the community here.

Bill

Here is a link that might be useful: thechileman guides

• joeyhoang81
    Original Author
    13 years ago

thankx much...will do

• User
    13 years ago

joeyhoang81,

Don't forget to come back! ;-))

• joeyhoang81
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Just received the seeds 5min ago. gonna go sterile some soil and use the tea bag method on a few seeds to test it out...thankx for the link ottawapepper

• User
    13 years ago

joeyhoang81,

Never tried the tea bag method myself, I'm more of a soil less medium / water kind of guy. Let me/us know how it goes.

By the way, where did you source your Bhut seed from?

Bill

• joeyhoang81
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I got the seeds from "top rated" ebay seller...hoping I have the right seeds because I paid good money for it...i'll keep an update on the process...only trying out 10 seeds...

• tsheets
    13 years ago

Good luck! I've never heard of anyone buying on e-bay actually getting bhut seeds. By the time you figure it out (at fruit set) it'll be too late to really do anything about it.

• User
    13 years ago

Ugggg, I was afraid you were going to say ebay. As tsheets implied, folks buying Bhut seed from ebay and getting what they paid for are few and far between.

Regarding the "top rated" rank of the vendor, a while ago another GW member pointed out that ebay vendor ranking generally relates to the initial transaction i.e. accurate payment and timely receipt of goods. Unfortunately ebay ratings don not allow follow-up ratings (in the case of Bhuts) 7 - 8 months later after you find out what you thought you bought is not what you got.

If your heart is set on growing true Bhuts, I suggest you purchase some seeds from a reputable source like the NMSU CPI (Chili Pepper Institute) and plant a few of those as well as your ebay seeds. At least you will be guaranteed a true Bhut. At the very least, post the ebay vendor name. Other members may have previous experience with the vendor and let you know if they are legit or not.

I am not trying to discourage you, just trying to help a new grower have a positive experience.

FWIW,

Bill

• User
    13 years ago

Re. my previous post where I said "a while ago another GW member pointed out that ebay vendor ranking generally...", I found the original post.

See link below.

Here is a link that might be useful: GW post

• capt_saicin
    13 years ago

I'm a new forum member and "budding" (new) bhut grower as well located in S. Fl. Hello all!
    I purchased seeds from seedrack (SR) in April. I had nearly 100% germination results and they are nearly 18" tall thus far but just as I was getting excited I discovered that many were finding out that they were not getting BJ seeds from SR.
    I have tried using leaf comparisons from the pics here and elsewhere and am still not SURE what I have yet (no flowers thus far).
    So as not to lose too much more of the '10 growing season and to get a headstart for '11 I found a Fl. nursery in Melborne that "guarantees" (FWIW) their seeds are bhuts for about the same price as the New Mexico University and so far 50% of the first planting (12-13 days ago) have sprouted.

I guess my secondary reason for this post is to say that I did not have much difficulty starting them and did not go to extremes in preparation as I just used the coconut husk type starting medium and a very dilute mixture of Alaska fish fertilizer from H. Depot. once the sprouts appeared. After a month I transplanted the first batch into large pots (2-3 gal.) of 50/50 BlackCow compost and topsoil.
    I have them in full sun under two layers of window screen for some diffusion and protection from heavy rains and water them every 2-3 days with collected rain water when I have it and well water when I don't.

So my advice is not to over "tend" and just treat them like "plants". Afterall they don't get such attention in the wild.

The Capt.

• joeyhoang81
    Original Author
    13 years ago

well...i guessed it's way too late now...anyhow...i already started...let see how it goes...if they are not bhut...at least i learn how to grow chile...let see how that goes

• joeyhoang81
    Original Author
    13 years ago

A little update...I have about 5-6 sprouts already...Don't see any fully develope leafs yet...should I keep them in the same spot a little longer untill the leafs are bigger?...all looking pretty small right now

• ohiojay
    13 years ago

I don't quite know the exact procedures one must go thru to declare that their plant was "isolated" in order to produce a pure strain. I can't imagine it being an easy undertaking. My plant overwintered in my greenhouse with a small Thai chili plant. As mentioned above, I did not find out until much later that not all of the seeds came true. Fans blowing or thrips did some unexpected cross pollinating for me. On the up side...I did end up with a pretty cool looking chili.

My original seeds came from Green Publishing Co in Melbourne, FL...which claim total isolation of their plants.

• zelicindy
    13 years ago

We got our ghost pepper seeds from bhutheads.com, and were very pleased with our "deck harvest" this year. Am ordering from them again for our 2011 harvest. Very pleased!

Sponsored
Franklin County's Remodeling & Handyman Services