Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
greengrass12

cross pollination

greengrass12
10 years ago

My bell peppers are about as hot as jalepeno this year. Probably crossed with habenaro someplace along the line. The green pepper was mildly hot but get hotter the redder they get. I guess I'll have to buy new bell pep seed for next yr.

Comments (12)

• vieja_gw
    10 years ago

greengrass: was your seed purchased from a grower/company ...or from some seed you had saved?

In another posting today I have mentioned the crazy chiles we are getting from purchased packets seed of 'specific' chile varieties this year! Mixtures!

• greengrass12
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I save seed. Last year they were purely bell peppers. This year they are large like bell peppers but a little more elongated.They are quite tasty. I got my first red one today and it was hot enough after eating a whole one to leave my upper lip pins and needles with heat. Not sure if red ones are hotter than green or coincidence. I have only got one red one and it was the hottest yet.

• smokemaster_2007
    10 years ago

A LOT of People would LOVE hot Bells.
    Save your seeds,you have some trading material to get what you want to grow.
    The Bonnet Bell mix I grew were small pods.
    Are you sure it wasn't a Poblano/Ancho cross?
    Most crosses that end up hot resemble the hot end of the cross= small pods if Habanero...
    But I can see a larger pod from a Poblano type pepper X.

Tons of people are crossing big peppers with supers to get a giant super hot.

If you have seeds to trade E Mail me.
    Would be interested in what the cross grows...

• judo_and_peppers
    10 years ago

I want some of these seeds. I am willing to trade or send a SASE. a hot bell sounds awesome.

• seysonn
    10 years ago

greengrass .... seems that you hit the jackpot.

• greengrass12
    Original Author
    10 years ago

WoW is all I can say. Had no idea what I had. I saved about 40 seeds or so from the hot red bell that I ate yesterday. Like I said that was the hot one where all the greens that I ate previously were just mildly spicy. The joke is at first I thought that the spiciness from the first few peppers that I ate was coming from the the cutting board where I cut my hot peppers every day. It took me a few peppers to finally figure out it wasn't my imagination.

I will try to take care of the people who would like seeds starting with smokemaster. Just give me some time to see how the other peppers come in.

• greengrass12
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Question: I put some peppers in refrigerator last night as a frost was expected here in ma. I expect the seeds would still be viable. Would you guys agree? I will post pictures later today.

• greengrass12
    Original Author
    10 years ago

note the slightly rounded bottom.

• judo_and_peppers
    10 years ago

seeds will probably still be good from a refrigerated pepper, but I haven't heard of much success from frozen peppers. my request would be that you let it ripen a bit further before picking for maximum seed viability. seriously though, I want some. I wanna try some crosses next year. plus, I can pull the ol' switcharoo on people expecting a normal sweet bell. smokemaster asked first, but I'm second in line.

• seysonn
    10 years ago

If I were you , I would just let it to sit of the counter until it gets flame red. Then get the seeds and eat the meat. Recently I bought green serrano from store and some left of the counter turned beautiful red and I saved seeds from it. I have heard even some green ones can have viable seeds.

• smokemaster_2007
    10 years ago

Your E mail is blocked so I can't answer your E mail...
    No wants list either.

This post was edited by smokemaster_2007 on Sat, Sep 7, 13 at 0:26

• greengrass12
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I didn't mail my want list yet as I am trying to figure out if I actually want anything. I grow J Choc hab, Jalapeno, cayenne. I think I might add scotch bonnet.

I emailed the question only because I wanted to make sure that you got the question. I will also unblock email. thanks.

Sponsored