Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
judo_and_peppers

my grow list is now complete

judo_and_peppers
10 years ago

my list of what to grow next year:
1. Paper Lantern Habanero (from scorpion_john)
2. White Habanero (from scorpion_john)
3. Chocolate Habanero (found one in a local supermarket)
4. Orange Habanero (saved seeds from this year)
5. Caribbean Red (from scott12345)
6. Red scotch bonnet (from scott12345)
7. Chocolate Scotch Bonnet (from scorpion_john)
8. Trinidad Congo (from scorpion_john)
9. Moruga Scorpion (from scorpion_john)

1. Red Brain Strain (saved seeds from this year)
  2. Yellow Brain Strain (from scorpion_john)
  3. 7pot douglah (from scorpion_john)
  4. Red Bhut Joloka (saved seeds from this year)
  5. Tiny Tabasco (saved seeds from this year)
  6. Thai hot upward (saved seeds from this year)
  7. Vietnamese Tear Jerker (from scorpion_john)
  8. Yellow Fatalii (from peppernovice)
  9. Red Devil's Tongue (from peppernovice)
  10. Yellow Devil's Tongue (from peppernovice)
  11. Hot Jalapeno (from peppernovice)
  12. Chinese 5 Color (from peppernovice)
  13. Bonda Ma Jacques (from jifjifjif)
  14. Carolina Reaper (from scott12345)
  15. Aji Limon (from scorpion_john)
  16. Cumari (from scorpion_john)

I actually went out and took some measurements, and used AutoCAD to figure out exactly how many plants I can fit in my back yard. I plan to use stakes to keep them from growing too far out beyond their pots, and the 5 gallon buckets are 12"diameter, so I figure give them 2ft separation. I used hexagonal spacing to maximize what I can fit, since I only have a 350sf back yard, much of which is being taken up by decorative stuff I can't talk my wife into getting rid of, and herbs that I'm not opposed to growing.

I tried many different layouts, and came up with this being the best one. I can get 34 plants in there, but only have 25 on my list. well, looks like I get to decide which one to grow multiples of. probably at least 2 brain strains and 2 bhuts, since they're my favorites, but I'm not sure which others to grow multiples of. any suggestions?

Comments (20)

• jcav8ter
    10 years ago

Most of my friends that like hot peppers really like Chocolate Habanero's. It also makes very good dust. Another favorite that I didn't see on your list is the Datil. You might want to give that one a try.

John

• DMForcier
    10 years ago

Good list. Definitely multiple BJs. Some of the others I'm not to sure about, but ones like Congo and Douglah and Choc.SB are prolific so you won't need more than one.

Also, wait until the Seed Fairy's swap next month before you finally finalize your list. You might find an irresistible little stuffer in your stocking.

Dennis

• peppernovice
    10 years ago

That's an impressive list. I hope you have a lot of hot sauce recipes, powder making ambitions, and lots of naive friends.

Tim

• judo_and_peppers
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Oh, I certainly have lots of recipes. good ones, apparently. no space to dry peppers for powder though. I do have quite a few naive friends, and quite a few non naive friends who genuinely love ridiculously hot peppers and sauce.

definitely growing multiples of the bhuts and the brains. thus far I've gotten 6 pods off 3 brain plants all season, and I absolutely LOVE those peppers. I want more of them. the bhuts are the main ingredient of my most popular sauce yet, so they're a necessity as well. the rest are just for fun.

I'm so excited! there's so many I wanna try!

Tim, I sent you an email but never heard back.

• seysonn
    10 years ago

Impressively HOT, Judo

But space wise, probably your 2 ft linear spacing( ~4 sqr-ft per plant) is too generous. I plant indeterminant tomatoes in 4 sqr-ft area.
    Not, knowing the size of those plants I cannot be specific but probably some can be managed in 1.5' x 1.5'(~ 2 sqr-ft) area or even less. I am going to plant most of my peppers in 12" dia. pots(1.5 sqr-ft). with some spacing, say 2 sqr-ft per plant. Obviously I will not plant some giant ones.

• judo_and_peppers
    Original Author
    10 years ago

the spacing is based on what I've observed in the grow habits of the plants I currently have. I think the branches could be managed with proper staking to not stick out more than 6" over each side (some that I've staked no longer hang over the sides at all), and I wanna make sure I can get in there to soap them down, since whiteflies are a constant headache around here. if it turns out I can put them closer together, well then I might just have to plant more!

• seysonn
    10 years ago

OK. Undersatan. Those small conic cages (Now $3.oo @ HD) are perfect to manage peppers, eggplants This way you can have spaces between them for treatment.
    .( But then 20 x$3 = 60 bucks.)

• judo_and_peppers
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I'm trying to do this on a budget, or at least as close to one as is reasonable. bought a pack of bamboo sticks for around 5 bucks, that, and a $2 roll of twine is good for 20 plants. that's why I've got my plants in 5 gal buckets with holes drilled in them, instead of pots. the buckets cost $1 each, when the cheapest I've seen for big pots is 5 bucks. now, if I could just do something about the price of all that potting soil...

• seysonn
    10 years ago

Make your own potting mix:

Get a big bale of peat moss (~ $8.00?). A bag of peralite(I don't know the cost).
    Half yard of goog compost and screeny it to get the big chunks out (~ $20 ?) . Spread those chunky ones on top after planting.
    Couple bags of 1 cu-ft stree Manure (from HD or lowes) @ $1.40 per bag. (my favorite deal.cheaper than top soil)
    --some time release all purpose or tomato tone( or combination)fertilizer.

Mix them all up on a tarp (or on the ground). It should add up to about ~$40. Considering a bag of ( 2 1/f cu.ft) potting mix costs around 10 bucks, this is very economical. The whole mix will add up to about 20 cu-ft.

Optionally, add some vermichulite ( price ?)

Considering you are a "resourceful" person, you can do this.

• judo_and_peppers
    Original Author
    10 years ago

honestly I've strongly considered just doing the 5-1-1 mix, but every time I read about it, it seems more and more complicated. plus I gotta figure out where to get composted pine bark fines around here.

I try to be resourceful. really I'm just poor (college student), and I try to be clever, and re-purpose as many cheaper items as possible to get the job done. of course I could obviously solve the problem by not growing as many plants (as my wife likes to remind me), but yeah, that's not gonna happen. I've got a back yard, I'm gonna grow as many plants as I can fit.

• pepperdave
    10 years ago

I make my stakes out of 2/4s 10ft long. Cut them to 5ft and rip them down on a table saw. 3/4 by 3/4 in Get 16 stakes out of each. They don't like a3lb mall but using a stake driver ( a 3ft long 3in pipe with a cap on one end] have never had a problem. Just select clear wood . Cheep stakes that are 5ft long and effective. I use strips of old sheets to tie up Better then string will no rub stems.Dont spend 2 bucks a plant just for stakes . I made half my stakes this year out of some 2/10s from behind the neighbors barn .

• scorpion_john
    10 years ago

Jason, like pepperdave said, strips of cloth would be alot better than string. Also bamboo stakes are no good. I tried them and they are too flimsy to get in the ground good and half them rotted off before the seasons was over. I use fiberglass stakes from tractor supply that are for elactric fencing. They are a buck each, but they will last for ever.

• seysonn
    10 years ago

To get back to the topic ; MY GROW LIST IS ALSO DONE:

=1= CASCABEL
    =2= CUBANELLE
    =3= GYPSY
    =4= HABANERO
    =5= KOREAN
    =6= MANZANO
    =7= ORNAMENTALS (2 KINDS)
    =8= PEPPERONCINI
    =9= SERRANO
    =10= SHISHITO
    =11=THAI

I think the hottest is HAB, then THAI, then SERRANO. the rest are very mild and sweet. Maybe in 2015 i will think about BHUT: lol

• judo_and_peppers
    Original Author
    10 years ago

now the question is, how many of those do you already have? I said my grow list is complete, because I already have all those seeds (thanks to the exceptionally kind forum members listed next to the seed varieties).

• pepperdave
    10 years ago

I grew Manzanos 20 years ago Had the plants in pots Got 4 peppers out of 6 plants the first year wintered over They did good the 2nd year. Lot of work but a good pepper Love the black seeds took 2 seasons not for the Impatient grower but good results are always worth the effort

• seysonn
    10 years ago

now the question is, how many of those do you already have?

Judo .... I have better than 90% of them. Most are from peppers that I bought from here and there.

So far has been the easy part. The hard part will be germinating them and growing. That will be a while.

• gardendrivenlife
    10 years ago

I've planted staggered, double-rows in the ground this year. I like the layout. Mine were spaced about 30" on center. Toward the end of the season, they are large and intermingled, but not a problem. Plus there is the path space for that. The only stakes I used were bamboo on occasional large, heavy plants. But, if I can find some tomato cages cheap, I'll try that. Do you have problems w/ the pots falling over? Maybe a heavy metal stake through the pot.

• judo_and_peppers
    Original Author
    10 years ago

when I talk about staking, what I should have been more clear about is that I am making cages with bamboo and twine. I put 3-4 stakes in the pot evenly spaced, and wrap twine around them, tying it at every crossing. this is to keep the plant from spreading out too much. I did it with 2 of my plants this year (thai peppers that were so heavy with pods that they were drooping really bad), and so far it's working out great.

• seysonn
    10 years ago

That is good. Bamboos are very strong and flexible. If you are are using something equivalent to 3/4" pvc, then it should be fine for peppers. But I don't think they are useful for tomatoes ; Maybe small determinants. I used to cut them for freed. Some people want just to get rid of them.

• scorpion_john
    10 years ago

Jason, that clears it up. I thought you intended to drive one in the ground and tie the plant to it for support

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading Kitchen & Bath Remodelers in Franklin County, OH