Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
botanicat

Correct ID on 7 Pot Douglah and Red Scorpion?

botanicat
9 years ago

Do I have these peppers correctly identified? The brown one I have labeled 7 pot douglah and the red one on the right a red scorpion. I got the seeds from a swap and had a lot of seedlings and could not swear my labels are right. Foliage of both plants is typical for these types and the peppers are typical for the plant. When saving seeds I want to get it right. They both go from green to the colors shown. Thanks!

Comments (13)

• ottawapepper
    9 years ago

The one on the left looks like it could be a a Chocolate Bhut Jolokia.

Not sure about the one on the right.

• pepperdave
    9 years ago

Nice peppers .

• botanicat
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Ottowapepper, Chocolate Bhut looks right. The other just doesn't seem right for a red scorpion. Too bumpy? One thing I notice about it is that the red color always starts at the top and moves down whereas some of these types seem to change all over.
    Thanks pepperdave. I got the seeds from last year's swap thanks to all you folks.

• Big Kahuna
    9 years ago

I don't think the one one the left is a Douglah, this is what my Douglah looks like:

• DMForcier
    9 years ago

lee, that looks like a chocolate hab rather than a douglah. My douglahs were similar in size and shape to that in the first pic, though not that bumpy.

Like Bill, I'd guess chocolate BJ for the brown one, though douglah isn't out of the question.

The red one I want to say BJ / Scorpion (or similar) cross. But it could also be a straight BJ with a pod variation.

Dennis

• botanicat
    Original Author
    9 years ago

DMForcier, it does't look like my scorpions from last year
    but the seed source is different. Package said "red scorpion" I think. Is this different from Trinidad scorpion? Like I said, I could have mixed up the labels accidentally.

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    9 years ago

Same here....that brown pod looks a lot like a Chocolate Ghost.

Douglahs aren't quite that bumpy. There is a range of variation among Douglah pods, but they don't tend to be that long, nor do they have such narrow tips.

Handful of Douglah pods for reference.

Josh

• ottawapepper
    9 years ago

Dennis,

lee's could be a chocolate hab but it does remind me of Douglah I grow. Tasting will tell ;-))

The chocolate one in botanicat's shot would have to be a strange pod variation for douglah in my experience. Possible.

Here are a few shots of Douglah I grew in 2011:

Here's a couple of (not to great) shots of 2014 pods.

• botanicat
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Josh, those in your hand do look like the ones on another plant I have that are labeled douglahs.

• DMForcier
    9 years ago

Hmm. Mine were more pointy. Seeds came from scorpion_john; his seeds grow true as much as any source I have (save fusion_power who grows isolated). Shape was closer to the one on the right in your second shot, or the one on top of the pile in Josh's pic. Some gnarliness but little recursion (folding) as in both your 2014 pics.

Maybe I should solicit a new crop of seeds. Who was it that had the douglahs that were so hot he wouldn't eat any more of them?

Dennis

• ottawapepper
    9 years ago

LMAO Dennis, I'll post them this Monday / Tuesday. You still at the same address? Email me if not.

• DMForcier
    9 years ago

I moved from GA. Email enroute.

Dennis

• Big Kahuna
    9 years ago

My Douglah seeds came from Eric's giveaway earlier this year (thanks again Eric). Definitely not chocolate hab (which I grew as well). Looks just like Ottawapeppers, lots of placenta and blisteringly hot.

Sponsored
Virginia Kitchen & Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars150 Reviews
Virginia's Award Winning One Stop Kitchen & Bath Remodeling Resource