Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ruthz_gw

Thick walled peppers

ruthz
10 years ago

I love the thick walled peppers.
What's your favorite thick walled hots & sweet.
Going to work on my 2014 list and want to make sure I'm not missing some really special ones.
I mostly use them for frying and stuffing.

Not hybrids, so I can save my seeds for next time.

This post was edited by ruthz on Mon, Sep 2, 13 at 21:16

Comments (15)

• nc_crn
    10 years ago

Rocoto peppers are really awesome thick walled hot peppers...the only downside is how long they take to mature (100-120 days). They're much larger and more flavorful than a jalapeno. A lot are the size of a small/medium sized (not mini) bell pepper.

They do have an upside of tolerating partial shade better than other peppers, though.

• sjetski
    10 years ago

Haven't decided on a favorite but i really like Super Shepherd (candy sweet) and ripe Serranos. Haven't had enough of the fresh ones but i agree that rocoto's are excellent and better overall than the two i mentioned.

• woohooman San Diego CA zone 10a
    10 years ago

Any colored bell but green.
    Anaheim
    Poblano(not REAL thick, but thick enough to roast and peel
    Guajillo
    Jalapeno
    Serrano

Kevin

• gfinnil
    10 years ago

Red Hot Cherries are awesome...haven't stuffed any but they have plenty of heat in the membrane.

• seysonn
    10 years ago

I wana know too,
    But something that really produces a few fruits: )D

Other than chilies, I have found very few sweet /semi hot peppers that really produce. I have quite bells long time ago. I am better off with buying them @ 99 cents /lb.

• John A
    10 years ago

Fresnos are very thick fleshed and very mild.
    John A

• spacetogrow
    10 years ago

Sheepnose Pimento is sooo sweet when it is ripe, although just so-so when green. It keeps very well in the fridge.

• sandysgardens
    10 years ago

Ruth -

Most sweets are thick walled. Here are a few I grow that I like and are great producers for me -

Lipstick
    Sweet Chocolate
    Yummy
    Antalya Dan
    Sweet Havana
    Putztagold
    Doux Long de Landers
    Deuce De Espange
    Carmen
    Flexum

Italian/Spicy thick walled good producers for me are-
    Italia
    Peperone Lombardo
    Friariello Pepperone

Some mildly/hot good producers for me have been -

Beaver Dam
    Pizza
    Blondy
    Biker Billy
    Georgia Flame
    Mariachi
    Jalaro (nice yellow)

many more....

Good luck on your thick walled pepper search.

Sandy

• seysonn
    10 years ago

I am interested in some that are PROLIFIC =productive , not a sitting duck. LOL

• dancinglemons
    10 years ago

Fresno are prolific for me. I grow in containers with ProMix and pine bark fines mixed with about 10% PermaTill (little bitty man made rocks). I do not like Jalapeno and Fresno works great for me -- and -- you can save your own seeds. Not super hot but nice thick walls and makes a killer Sriracha - see link below.

BTW I do not go to all the trouble in this recipe link. I dump everything in the blender and run till smooth then simmer about an hour until it thickens.

Cheers,
    DL

Here is a link that might be useful: DIY Sriracha Recipe and instructions.

• seysonn
    10 years ago

Thanks DL,
    I will try Fresno next year. I had Camen, Cubanelle, but very disappointing. Holy Moley has been better but then it is not thick walled, anyway.

• ruthz
    Original Author
    10 years ago

dancinglemons, what size pots do you use?
    I grow some in pots, but my best production is the ones I grow in raised beds.
    If they produced better in pots, I could grow more. I usually have to narrow my list to only a few kinds each year.

sandysgardens, I grow some of the ones you listed, but I'm not familiar with some of them. Where you buy your seeds?

• dancinglemons
    10 years ago

ruthz,

I grow my Fresno in the 27 gallon containers from Lowe's -- the black ones with the yellow lids. I put 3 plants per container this year but will only put 2 plants next year. I also grow the Fresno in EarthBox with 2 plants per container. Looking at yield I'd say the storage container plants did much better than the EarthBox plants.

Cheers,
    DL

• sandy0225
    10 years ago

Jackpot, early sunsation, keystone resistant giant, revolution, Excalibur, are all really good ones. Most of those are from Harris seeds. Those are all bells. The cheapest and easiest to obtain is the keystone resistant giant.

• sandysgardens
    10 years ago

Ruth,

Some of the new ones I tried this year came from either -

-Peppergal
    -Semillas
    or
    -GW Trades

In years past others came from either totally tomato's, Harris and trades - then I harvest seed to use.

A couple more sweet varieties are -
    -Mini chocolate
    -Cuollarici (bigger than Marconi); picked 6 from one plant and it has more that will be ready by Wed..... Very productive for a large non-bell