Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
newcoyote

How to ripen off plant

newcoyote
9 years ago

Hi all. I have my first successful crop of scorpion peppers still on the plant. Some have turned red and been harvested but there a still a lot of big green pods. I have the plant outside. I am concerned the area I live in (Vancouver) will become chilly soon and there is less sun. I really do not have much room to bring the plant inside. If it does get cold out, can I pick them and ripen them somehow, do they need to stay on the plant or how can I handle this? I'd really like to keep as many of the pods ripened as possible. Thank you for any help offered.

This post was edited by newcoyote on Sat, Sep 27, 14 at 17:10

Comments (10)

• User
    9 years ago

Since you're in Vancouver, it doesn't really get below 8C / 46F for a while yet does it? Cooler temps do slow down ripening but I'd only worry when you're getting close to freezing.

You could pick them and ripen on a counter inside if the have started to change. Picked green pods seldom ripen off the plant in my experience.

FWIW,

Bill

• djoyofficial
    9 years ago

Being my first year I have never tried it but I have read that some people pull the plant and roots with the pods still on then hang it upside down somewhere warm untill all the moisture and nutrients in the roots and stems get used up.

I may be trying it soon..

dj

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    9 years ago

I've hung whole Thai chile plants in my garage. A certain number will ripen for sure.

Josh

• brian6464
    9 years ago

Another option to try...

Since peppers do not have an abundance (if any) of the chemical tomatoes have which allows them to ripen off the vine, I have read that you can pick them and put them in a bag with some ripening tomatoes.

The tomatoes will emit some of the chemical ripening agent, which in turn will allow some of your peppers to ripen.

Not sure if this is proven and I have not tried it, but I for sure read it within the last month.

• Mecdave Zone 8/HZ 9
    9 years ago

I've read the same thing Brian, but never tried it myself.

In makes sense though since many fruits like bananas, apples, and avocados (tomatoes too?) are gassed at the grocery store to ripen them for sale.

I would probably use a paper bag so excessive moisture doesn't cause them to rot prematurely.

• don555
    9 years ago

Ah yes, the ethylene gas given off by various ripening fruit. Unfortunately I tried this with hot peppers a few year ago -- "Charleston Hot" peppers that showed some hints of turning from yellow to red. I put them in a paper bag with an apple (for ethylene). The peppers did indeed turn red, but they never developed the sweetness of vine-ripened peppers, they were actually pretty bitter.

• northerner_on
    9 years ago

Some years ago I brought in green peppers (Tobago Sesoning) and left them on my counter and they did turn red. However, the seeds from those peppers were not viable, so if you're saving seeds, be sure to use seeds from a pepper that ripened on the plant.

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    9 years ago

Peppers do not respond to ethylene ripening, from what we know of testing so far.

Josh

• DMForcier
    9 years ago

Just left on their own, if they are large enough they will ripen on the counter. They will also ripen in the fridge, but much more slowly.

I recall the ethylene gas experiment here. Didn't work.

Dennis

• seysonn
    9 years ago

Ok. I am a little south of you , in Seattle WA. area.
    My Habs, LD are just turning color. But coming along slowly. Our lows are dipping into high 40s(F). And our FFD should be around mid November. So there is no danger of frost anytime soon. Vancouver is usually couple degrees cooler than North Seattle.

About Ripening:
    This is my personal experience, that once a pod is fully matured in size, from there on ripening is an internal process to the pod. That is, it can ripen without help from the mother plant. It just needs time. But those that are not up to the size, you can dry them but they won't get red.

I have bought a lot of green serrano, shishito in the past ( with just a hint of color) and they have turned beautiful red just by sitting on the counter.
    Pulling and hanging upside down is the same. It might aide some of the immature pods to have a chance.

Another option would be to bring your plants inside, until the fruits ripen. Here I am talking about potted plants. I might do that with one of my Habs that is way behind.

Good Luck !