Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ironmike_usmc

Mango Habanero Sauce Recipe

MikeUSMC
9 years ago

Hi everyone. This is my first time posting on this forum (I'm usually on the Hot Pepper Forum). Does anyone out there know of a safe canning recipe for a Mango Habanero Hot Sauce? NOT salsa, but hot sauce for chicken or pork or whatever. I really want to mimic a sauce from a popular restaurant chain (without advertising, hehehe...) that rhymes with "Schmuffalo Scmild Schmings." I've found a few recipes, but none that say they are safe to can. There's gotta be one out there, right? I mean, the restaurant sells it?! Any help would be GREATLY APPRECIATED! Thanks in advance.

Mike

Comments (20)

• MikeUSMC
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Sh*t....Sorry, meant to post that on the Harvest forum. Oh well. Anybody here have anything?

Mike

• ottawapepper
    9 years ago

Hello, Welcome!

I too use the folks over on the Harvest Forum as a trusted source for canning / preserving information.

Without seeing your recipe, I don't think you'll find a safe "tested" recipe for canning Mango Habanero Sauce.

I make a wicked Mango Bhut Joliokia sauce but freeze it in blocks and vacuum seal it for future use.

What's the recipe you're considering?

Bill

• judo_and_peppers
    9 years ago

I've got one for you. I just gotta find it. it was never tested, like officially. but I made it, and I had left a bottle in my car in florida in the summer for a few months, and I ate it and it was just fine. I'd say it has to be fairly safe.

• MikeUSMC
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Bill: I've been on Garden Web for a couple of months now, but thanks for the welcome! I didn't mean the "Hot Pepper Website." I was trying to say it was my first time posting on "Harvest."

Thanks Judo. I'm looking for the consistency of a BBQ sauce, not thin and vinegary like Tabasco. Know what I mean? I'd like it to really coat the meat, like chicken wings, or pulled pork. I found one online that looks pretty good (though I haven't made it yet), but the last step in the directions says "store in refrigerator for up to one month." I'll look it up again and post it here. But, I'm looking for something that I can just grab a new bottle out of my cabinet whenever I'm in the mood, instead of constantly having to constantly make new batches. Thanks again.

Mike

• kentishman
    9 years ago

I made a batch last year, although I didn't have the habaneros the recipe called for and used Bonda ma Jacques and Aji Lemon Drops instead. Here it is:

4 Tsp olive oil
    1 medium large onion, minced
    8 garlic cloves, roasted
    3 habanero peppers
    2 lb mango, chopped
    1 carrot, grated
    1 1/2 cups vinegar
    1/2 cup honey

I put everything in a blender, boiled it, then water bathed it for 15 minutes.

• MikeUSMC
    Original Author
    9 years ago

kentishman- thanks for the recipe. That looks good, too. I just posted a different one on the "Harvest" side to see if I could get some other ideas too. If I had any clue how to "cut-copy-paste" anything, I'd do it over here as well. I'm only 33, and have a better shot at figuring out the origins of the entire universe than using a computer! I'm sick of typing! Anyway, it's there, if you feel like checking it out.

Jason- Honestly, you were the very first person I thought of when I started this thread. I felt weird asking for one after all the hard work (not to mention time, money, and effort!) you've been putting in to your "quest to go professional" (excellent thread, by the way). I didn't want to come across like I was "stealing" your recipes or anything. Ha! BELIEVE ME, I have NO desire (or time, or energy) to go into "competition" with anybody! Solely for my own enjoyment, on Sundays, eating wings, watching football. (Go Pats!)

Thanks again,
    Mike

• salevene
    9 years ago

kentishman - that recipe looks nice! Curious how long you boiled it for?

Also, as this for a hot sauce or for a rub for pre-marinating meats?

• kentishman
    9 years ago

I believe I brought it to a boil then jarred it and water bathed it.

• judo_and_peppers
    9 years ago

I can't find my initial record of this recipe. what I have seems woefully incomplete. I'm going to give it to you from memory, with the ratio of vinegar increased in case I remember it wrong, I don't wanna get anyone sick.

here's my recipe suggestion:
    -the meat of 2 large mangoes (greener mangoes are best for making a sauce, really ripe ones don't do well)
    -10 cloves garlic
    -1-3 superhots if you got em, or about 10 habs
    -4-6 leaves of "culantro" (not cilantro, it's also known as sawtooth herb and lots of other names, you can find it in spanish grocery stores) cilantro will work in a pinch but not nearly as good.
    -1 teaspoon of salt
    -1/2 cup bottled lime juice
    -1.5 cups white vinegar
    (I've made it before with more lime juice and no vinegar, I think it's better with some vinegar)

add a teaspoon of brown sugar if it's not sweet enough. all mangoes are different.

combine all in blender, blend til smooth. boil for 2 minutes, bottle, BWB. refrigerate after opening. as with all canning recipes, the faster you eat it the safer it is.

if I were you I'd consider ordering a pH tester off amazon. it takes the guesswork out of creating a safe-to-can recipe. just make sure to keep it calibrated.

• MikeUSMC
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Jason, thanks so much. I really appreciate it. I hear ya on the ph tester. The total price on all these supplies really adds up quick. I just got my dehydrator in the mail, and now I'm in the market for a vacuum sealer too (probably). Then the jam/jelly jars, woozy bottles, etc... Jeez. Well, I guess, with any hobby, the first year is probably the most expensive. I've got 3 kids, and I'm trying to swing 2 mortgages right now. Think it's too early for my 2 year old daughter to get a paper route, and start chipping in around here? Haha! Just kidding!

Thanks for all your help,
    Mike

• judo_and_peppers
    9 years ago

try it out, let me know what you think. this is one of the recipes where a lil bit of xanthan gum goes a long way to give it an even consistency. (another suggested amazon purchase)

and in terms of jars, I've said this before, but you really oughta look around your local area for a glass container distributor. you might be surprised what's tucked away in an industrial complex somewhere near you. paying 3 bucks a case with no shipping is a whole lot better than paying 3 bucks a case, plus 12 bucks shipping. if I had to pay to get my bottles shipped to me, the sauce industry would no longer be feasible for me. finding local distributor was what makes this work.

• MikeUSMC
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Good call, Jason. Thanks. I never even would have thought about that. I found a case (12) of Ball 1/2 pt jelly jars at Walmart for less than $10 here, which I thought was pretty reasonable, but no woozy bottles. I'll have to look around before I just start buying online. Good looking out, thanks.

Mike

• salevene
    9 years ago

I'm going to give kentishman's recipe a try tonight. Will probably just boil, then simmer a bit and then bottle and refrigerate normally... will post back with pictures. I'll probably cook some chicken breasts with this one.

• MikeUSMC
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I've been too busy to make it myself, but if it's close to the recipe I'm looking for, it's AMAZING on pulled pork or chicken wings.

• salevene
    9 years ago

Mike, I've just finished it. You sure it was 2 lbs. of Mangos?

Wow, I mean, I did about 600 gr and thought that was even too much. I ended up watering it down a bit with about cups of water.

Wings and pulled pork both sound good... may throw it on everything haha

• MikeUSMC
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Salevene- "judo_and_peppers" posted 2 LARGE mangos, not LBS. Kentishman wrote 2 LBS. I don't know, I've never made it before, I came here looking for a recipe. I did post one on the Harvest forum that called for 1 1/2 cups, but it's not "canning safe." The stuff I like IS very thick, though. Like BBQ sauce.

• salevene
    9 years ago

In the end, I used Kentishman's recipe.

Well here it is... I'll try it first with the wings, but definitely open to some other ideas for this sauce! (ignore the messy kitchen, obviously pics come first!)

• kentishman
    9 years ago

Yes, I did use 2 lb of mangoes. I think the recipe yielded about 8 half-pint jars.

Tom

This post was edited by kentishman on Mon, Sep 15, 14 at 13:41

• salevene
    9 years ago

We made some wings with them last night, they were delicious! I may have thinned it out a tad much with the water, but nonetheless, a very nice recipe. Thanks again for sharing!

• kentishman
    9 years ago

Salavene,

Glad you liked it. I've also posted my recipe for a Peach Chile Sauce. That's my favorite sauce I've made so far.

Tom

Sponsored
Outdoor Spaces
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars19 Reviews
Experienced Full Service Landscape Design Firm Serving Loudoun County