Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mnpeppers

Flavor difference of chocolote varieties?

J T
11 years ago

I see a lot of people talking about and showing pics of chocolate habs, scotch bonnets, etc. Is there much flavor difference or is it more the novelty of the different color.

Comments (12)

• User
    11 years ago

At least for the Bonnets and Habs, the chocolate has the same flavor character but tend to me hotter. Now when it comes to the Douglah - chocolate 7 Pot variety, I can't comment on flavor because the heat is so intense your brain numbs.

JMHO

• mbellot
    11 years ago

Now when it comes to the Douglah - chocolate 7 Pot variety, I can't comment on flavor because the heat is so intense your brain numbs.

That is exactly what I'm counting on.

:D

• peppernovice
    11 years ago

I've tried the 7 pot and the bhut jolokia, but when someone says douglah......I hide behind my computer chair!

Tim

• John A
    11 years ago

I agree with Ottawa. Most of the chocolates are so hot that you can't taste a flavor.
    John A

• romy6
    11 years ago

There is no comparison in the Choc varieties. They make the best powder in the universe. You know the saying once you go , well I will let you finish the sentence. Might be inapropriate :)

Bill is right the Douglah is a beast!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• J T
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks, I'll keep that in mind if I need my brain numbed any time soon. What other varieties are there, or are there too many to list? Is it mainly just the hot/super-hots?

Joel

• Edymnion
    11 years ago

Yup, it'll numb your brain better than a 3 hour marathon of Here Comes Honey Booboo.

• scorpion_john
    11 years ago

The douglah is a killer pepper. From what i understand, different than the 7 pot brown. The farthest i have made it with it is, half a pod raw and thats all the pain i wanted, so i diced the other half and put it on a sandwich, i couldn't waste it. So far the only one that i could feel the burn in my stomach for about 2 hours.

• User
    11 years ago

"What other varieties are there"

See link below for a few. Off the top of my head, ones missing from the list:

7 Pot Douglah
    Chocolate 7 Pot
    Chocolate Bhut Jolokia
    Ethiopian Brown Berbere

I'm sure there are many others.

As for the Douglah I'll confess that it's the only pepper I sampled that I couldn't get into my mouth. I cut a small piece to sample and stabbed it with the point of my knife. As I was putting it into my mouth the piece fell onto my bottom lip. The second or two it was there was enough to set my face on fire, make my eyes tear up and caused my fight or flight instincts to kick in. I, without thinking chose flight. I ran for a tub of ice cream! I've been able to munch on Jolokias, 7 Pots, Scorpions, ButchTs and Morugas. The Douglah was the only one that slayed me.

Bill

• User
    11 years ago

Forgot the link...

Here is a link that might be useful: Some Chocolate varieties

• scorpion_john
    11 years ago

Bill - its a bad one, i havent got to try the moruga yet. Like u said, i tried most of the other ones. With the douglah, it feels like your tongue is melting. I'm gonna light Tim up when he comes out from behind his computer chair and lets me know where to send them. Lol, John

• peppernovice
    11 years ago

HeHeHe.......I'll send you an e-mail immediately. Dang this foolish pride!

Tim

Sponsored