Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
barbge

Ghost or Moruga?

barbge
10 years ago

So, I'm doing some planning for next year as well and I think I'd like to try my hand at a superhot next summer. Either a Bhut Jolokia or a Trinidad Moruga Scorpion. Any suggestions as far as which is better/easier for growing in Minnesota?

Also if anybody would be interested in a seed trade for the above, I don't have any exotic pepper varieties, but I do have seeds for 3 different pole beans that I would be more than happy to part with. I have Purple Podded Pole, Kentucky Wonder Wax, and plain old Kentucky Wonder.

Comments (9)

• peppernovice
    10 years ago

Email me and I'll get some seeds to you. I would suggest the ghost, but both are worth growing.

Tim

• barbge
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks a bunch Tim! Email is sent.

• Jeff_H
    10 years ago

Ghost are about 1/2 as hot as a Moruga can get. I would start with Ghost. I likew their flavor better as well.

• mctiggs
    10 years ago

I was fortunate enough to be able to grow 2 plants of both this year, and I'm north of you. I don't think it's a matter of ease, it's a matter of making adjustments, and a matter of chance. That, and lugging 25 heavy-ass plant pails into your garage (and back out again) 6 or 7 times when there are frost warnings in June.

I've grown the Ghost before and love it, this is my first year for Scorps, they're starting to show some colour but I haven't tasted them yet. Both are producing great. The world is your oyster.

• barbge
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Is there actually a big difference between the taste of the two? Or are they both just so hot you can't really tell them apart anyway? The red paper lantern peppers also look pretty neato....

• judo_and_peppers
    10 years ago

if the moruga tastes anything like my brain strain (which I'm told it is similar) they are worlds apart in taste, smell, and heat profile. with that said, you oughta grow brain strain. they're delicious, and set pods long before my bhuts (seriously I got my first ripe brain a month before a bhut even set). as of now that's my favorite pepper, with the orange hab being a close second.

• DMForcier
    10 years ago

BJ, hands down. I'm growing both this year. Scorpions seemed harder to get started, but once they finally decided to take off are larger and more prolific. However, although I had an early BJ pod set, they then took a bit of a break and are now coming on like gangbusters making the overall harvest later than the scorpions.

But for flavor there is no comparison, and in practical terms no difference in heat level

Make mine a BJ!

Dennis

• Jeff_H
    10 years ago

barbje, there is a pretty significant difference in taste between the two. That is one of the things I like about ghost peppers. They don't have that Chinenese flavor. Brainstrains and Morugas do. My morugas are potent with that flavor. I'm not a big fan of it, but it is okay with some dishes.

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    10 years ago

Amen! The Ghost doesn't have that Chinense flavor; that, too, is why I prefer the Ghost. Now, that said, I will be tasting my first Moruga this weekend...so I'll have a better comparison. Other Scorpions I've sampled haven't had that offensive Chinense flavor, which might make for a contender. I expect I'll still be partial to the Ghost, but I'm keeping an open mind.

Josh

Sponsored