Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
djoyofficial

Just ate my first Bhut. Wow!

djoyofficial
9 years ago

Damn locust put a little hole in another one of my unripe red Bhut Jolokias so I figured what the hell, its green how hot can it be?

Trimmed of the damage washed it and popped it in my mouth. Crunch, crunch zing...!! almost gasped for air but I knew that would hurt. I couldn't believe how hot it was at that unripe stage. Pass the yogurt plz.

Finally! A hot pepper. I cant wait to make some real hot sauce. If the hoppers keep eating them I may have to come up with a hopper hot sauce. Yuck!

dj

Comments (24)

• Lars
    9 years ago

Try frying the grasshoppers, if you can catch them. I've had them in Oaxaca, and they were tasty, but they had chili and lime juice added to them.

Lars

• randy355
    9 years ago

Their also good on a stick with soy and fish sauce YUM!

• Slimy_Okra
    9 years ago

I simply cut off the grasshoppers' heads with scissors. They don't react to them like they do to fingers. I also have an omnivorous 13-lined ground squirrel that has taken up residence near my pepper plants and catches a few a day.

• DMForcier
    9 years ago

Say, dj, do you remember the flavor? Was it good?

Dennis

• djoyofficial
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I am going to pass on the hopper recipes even though they would probably spice up a dish nice with all the peppers they have eaten, I cant bring myself to take pictures of my discarded pepper harvests.
    , DMF, its hard for me to describe, It was pretty green and tasted slightly bitter with a hint of fruit salad (like the kind my grandma used to make with apples, celery and walnuts and some secret white sauce) In hind site, I wish I would have taken my time with it at first to get a little more sense of the flavor. I have a couple getting close to ripening. Ill try again then, sooner if the bastards chew on another green one.

dj

• DMForcier
    9 years ago

Sounds like it tasted green. I guess you don't really get flavor until it gets ripe, or nearly so. Glad you survived.

I tried my first Butch T last night. Explosive heat, though not so much as to be off putting (I could finally be developing those mouth calluses). But the aroma and flavor were outstanding. Much better than the Morugas I've been used to. I'll grow it.

Dennis

• ottawapepper
    9 years ago

I'm really fond of the ripe red Bhuts and am impressed with the Peach variety I grew this year. I hope you get a chance to try a ripe one dj.

Dennis, the Butch T is a nice super hot. When I chomp on a slice I initially get a great applesauce taste, then the heat blows the back of my head off ;-) Curious, do you get apple flavor or is it just me?

• DMForcier
    9 years ago

I couldn't put my finger on it at the time, but applesauce does resonate. When I open the second pod I'll look for it. Thanks for the word.

Dennis

• peppers_galore
    9 years ago

I tried a green bhut a couple of months ago and it didn't seem to have any heat, but it was pretty immature. The red ones are pretty kicking. I may end up trying some more green at the end of the season.

Interesting about the Butch T flavor. I haven't tried any fresh yet but I will check it out soon. Most of the super hots are reserved for powder and sauce.

• seysonn
    9 years ago

Good idea, harvesting grass hoppers.
    They are like mountain shrimps.

On eating hot pepper: The other day I ate an orange Habanero. But admittedly it was one of the mild ones. I snack on things like serrano, cayenne, HHW, Thai Hot very often. But Super hots ? No way.

• Slimy_Okra
    9 years ago

djoy,

Sounds like your grandma made a Waldorf salad. The sauce is mayonnaise.
    If you get a chance, watch the Fawlty Towers episode "Waldorf Salad". It's very funny :).

• djoyofficial
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Yeah, I definitely hope to taste a fresh ripe one... I have a realisic shot at getting between 1-4 and, a distant shot at 4-8 ripe pods. I tasted another, even younger pod, less citrus,less heat more Green

Peppers_galore, I have now tasted one that was probably a week and a half younger and it definitely wasn't as hot I would say, down around a habanero heat. First one was around 2 inches long and had been that size for 5 days maybe (the seeds in it look good dried), the second was like 1.5 inches and still enlarging (seeds were garbage). Was your green one super tiny ? Weee the seed pretty mature?

Slimy_okra, thanks! Thats some classic Sh#@.

I found out its not just mayonnaise.... and may soon include grasshoppers.
    Butch T! Peach Bhut! OMG. I just cant wait to get another couoke years under my belt. Hmmmmmm! Mmmmm!

dj

• MikeUSMC
    9 years ago

DJ, I had my first raw red Bhut last night. Not exactly like Bugs Bunny eating a carrot, but.... I diced up a fresh one (seeds and all) into tiny 1/8" pieces, and sprinkled it on 2 cheeseburgers. Decent size one, too. Probably about 3 1/2" long and 1 1/4" in diameter. Put it directly on top of the burgers, then melted a piece of cheese on top of each. Now, I'm not gonna lie, I was a little terrified! Turned out not as bad as I expected. I was definitely expecting the worst after slicing that bad boy in half and seeing all that capsaicin oozing out....
    Honestly, the burger bun, mayo, and ketchup PROBABLY deflected a little bit of the heat, but, MAN WAS IT GOOD!!! I loved the slow, building heat, and the sweat building up on your cheeks under your eyes. Not so good at 3:30am...or 7:30am.... or 10am today (in the bathroom, haha! TMI?! Sorry.) I'll definitely be doing it again, though. After a few more Bhut burgers, I might get the cojones to chomp down like Bugs.

Mike

• djoyofficial
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Well my doctor told me hot peppers are a great way of telling how good your metabolism is, 3:00 am is great, 3:00 pm the next day... Might be a little slow. ;-). Lol. Never tmi in my world, forum moderators might feel different if it escalates.

I am going to have to make some burgers soon... Got a few bhuts that are getting close. Maybe make a brat as an appetizer.

It would be great to make some sausage with em too. I always enjoy putting a couple hot peppers in with my morning bacon... Lot of the heat cooks out but still gives it a nice little kick to start your day.

dj

• Mecdave Zone 8/HZ 9
    9 years ago

I had my first Bhuts a couple weeks ago. They were yellow ones and stayed on the plant long enough to make sure they weren't actually reds. As a result they were more orange-ish.

Anyway, the taste matched the color. Very much an orange flavor followed by a relatively mild heat. Some of my habs were hotter this year. I attributed it to them being the first pods off the plant. Maybe the later ones will be hotter, but I sure didn't mind these as is.

I saved them for a special occasion, which turned out to be the main heat ingredient in Bacon Jam. Two bhuts in a pint of jam was almost too hot, but just almost. It turned out very good.

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    9 years ago

Mecdave, can you post a pic of your yellow/orange Bhuts?
    They should be several times hotter than the hottest Habanero.

Josh

• Mecdave Zone 8/HZ 9
    9 years ago

Sure. Here ya go...

• djoyofficial
    Original Author
    9 years ago

WOW! Those look great! Bacon jam!?.... Hmmm.... I love bacon so much and always keep the syrup off my bacon when possible. Not sure how I feel about that. Can't be judging till I try... Seems people put bacon in just about anything these days.

I love the fact that other people are sharing their first Bhut experiences here. I hope they keep coming. Present or past.

dj

• Mecdave Zone 8/HZ 9
    9 years ago

Update on my yellow bhuts. The plant is finally loaded with pods and the 3rd one just ripened up so gave it a taste. Citrus, followed by heat, lots of heat, then a flavor I couldn't quite make out.

It persisted and I finally snapped... Blue Bell Strawberry Ice Cream! Honest, it's still there even after beer. In fact my beer now tastes like ice cream and I want to go buy some, but I probably shouldn't drive at this point. lol

PS Come back djoy. Your self imposed exile period is up. ;-)

This post was edited by mecdave on Sat, Oct 25, 14 at 18:12

• djoyofficial
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks Mec! I definitely made an a@$ out myself. Broke a rule I have about drunk posting, not an excuse just a fact. Pretty embarrassing.

I finally picked my first ripe ghosts today, can't wait to try em on tacos tonight. :-)

dj

• MikeUSMC
    9 years ago

Welcome back, dj. Haha! No worries, I'm sure a lot of us have probably done it before. Mine are usually on Sundays while watching football. What can I say? I'm about as Irish as an American can be, and a Marine. Nuff said. I enjoy my beverages too...hehehe...

Anyway, I ate my first straight, right off the plant, raw red Bhut last weekend. My buddy and I each tried one. My buddy quit after one bite, but took it like a champ. It took me about 1/2 an hour to eat the whole thing (small bites), but I did it. I promised myself I'd eat at least one of every variety of pepper I grew this year, so it was time to face the music. DAMN that thing was hot! I realize that there are hotter peppers out there, but this is the first year I've eaten any pepper hotter than a cayenne! I've had Hab sauce before but nothing raw til this year. But that Bhut... holy sh--. It felt like my freakin' teeth were melting...

Good luck with your tacos!
    Mike

• tomt226
    9 years ago

Mike,
    LOL. Yep they're hotter'n shid. I make what I call "Horse Divers From Hell" with small green Ghosts. They're a little milder and more people might try'em.
    Make a slit in the pod, sprinkle a little Kosher salt in, and stuff a garlic clove inside. Serve'em with a little bowl of lime juice and a bowl of kosher salt. You stick it in the juice, and roll it in the salt to get it a little saltier. Any super hot will work as long as you can get a whole or half garlic clove in it.
    Oh yeah, tequila shooters are a good chaser... ;-)

• cottonwood468
    9 years ago

If there is anything hotter than the Bhut Jolokia pods I grew this year, I don't need it. Even with my experience deseeding, I still manage to touch the wrong places once in awhile.

This post was edited by cottonwood468 on Sun, Oct 26, 14 at 19:43

• tomt226
    9 years ago

cottonwood,
    Soooo...was yer partner really mad? ;-)