Return to the Hot Pepper Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Serrano plant in poor shape

Posted by PunkRotten 9b (My Page) on
Thu, Sep 8, 11 at 18:25

Hi,

My Serrano pepper plant is doing bad. For about a months time the health of the plant has gradually declined. The pepper is in a 3 gallon pot. Originally there was 2 serrano plants growing in the same pot. I was afraid to separate them cause I did this before with a red bell and they both died.

Anyway I let them grow and both got really tall about 30 inch each and both had flowers and peppers growing. Then I noticed all the bottom leaves turning yellowish and sickly and the leaves started to fall. At this point I asked around about the problem and was told the plants were crowded and the soil is likely nutrient depleted too.

So I cut out one of the pepper plants. And I then added a little worm castings I had on hand. It has been close to 2 weeks since I have done that and see no improvement. The plant is actually looking worse. It has lost almost all of its bottom and middle leaves. The top leaves look like they are curling a little and there is slight discoloration. I am seeing brown and/or yellow tips and some of the leaves look sprinkled with brown and yellowness. I was told to give it some liquid organic fertilizer. I wanna help it but don't know what to do. I am about to get the fertilizer as a last hope.

Anyway here are some pics to get an idea of how the plant is doing.

Thanks

[IMG]http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c86/punkrotten/938_1482.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c86/punkrotten/938_1492.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c86/punkrotten/938_1494.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c86/punkrotten/938_1490.jpg[/IMG]

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Serrano plant in poor shape

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

o

Yikes, that does not look good.

Is this the pepper you referred to in your question about mulch?

What kind of soil is it in, and how much worm casting did you add?

Have you fertilized at all prior?

Josh

o

Yes same plant with the mulch. The soil is clay mixed with bagged miracle gro soil. I added about 2 tablespoons worth of worm castings. I never fertilized this plant prior.

o

I think the soil is too heavy, too compacted, too waterlogged.
At this point, I don't think there's much to be done for the poor plant...
unless you want to change the soil, put it in some shade, and hope for the best.

In this case, the mulch should definitely go.

Josh

o

ditto, clay-based soils retain the greatest amount of water. if you go with a looser soil with better drainage, you can also try to add a dilute mixture of water with epsom salt which will help boost plant a bit. if you do transplant, you'll want to keep in filtered, not direct, strong sun. good luck!

o

I've got a plant that looks like that (well not quite as bad) and it's in a very sunny window. Could be too much direct sun coupled with what the others said.

Also a thought is that it looks like it's on those hot paving stones?

Regards
Nick

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hot Pepper Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here