Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
habjolokia

Jalapeno or JALAPENO

habjolokia z 6b/7
10 years ago

The two smaller ones are the type I grow and have grown. The four larger ones are from a co-worker and they are the biggest I've seen. I am glad a few were red as I will grow this variety instead, they make great ABT's

Mark

Comments (10)

• woohooman San Diego CA zone 10a
    10 years ago

Warning Mark. The smaller ones are probably a bit hotter and produce like crazy compared to the larger varieties. So, if you don't mind the lower productivity and a tad less heat, then go for it. That's what I did this year...grew Mammoth and Gigante.

Kevin

• habjolokia z 6b/7
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hi Kevin, So what you are saying is next season cross a Bhut with this jalapeno and the following season it should be up to par with heat as the smaller ones. Thanks for the info, so will see, maybe I will have to grow both.

Mark

10 years ago

LMAO.

That would be nice. Love the flavor of red, ripe Japs --- with the heat of a Bhut...awesome. Now, maybe you could breed the trait of getting a Jap to ripen to red as fast as a Bhut. I swear I was picking ripe superhots before any RED japs this year.

Kevin

• willardb3
    10 years ago

jalapeno = jalapeño

• kuvaszlvr
    10 years ago

I tend to disagree Kevin, heat depends on the variety, not the size. I grow about 6 kinds of jalapeno. the biggest and hottest are Biker Billy and Jalastar, they are both really big and hot, hotter than reg. jals. Below is a picture of biker billy.
    Pam

10 years ago

Pam: I meant "generally." You're right though. There are large varieties that carry plenty of heat, like you mentioned. Just like there are smaller podded varieties that are mild. I've just noticed that "generally" the smaller podded varieties carry a bit more heat than a lot of their larger counterparts.

Nice pods btw. Which do you like better and which produces better, Biker or Jalastar?

Kevin

• kuvaszlvr
    10 years ago

hahaha... that my friend is a hard one to answer. Last year I would have said Biker Billy was my very favorite. But, this year, I think I'm leaning towards Jalastar. I think if you let them both ripen to red, their flavor is very similar, I think Jalastar might produce just a bit better, although they are both very productive. Jalastar might be a bit hotter. Size wise, they are almost equal, both are big and meaty.

I don't know that I've ever had any that consistently produced small fruit. Even my regular Jals are large (but not as big as the BB and Jalastar), my Jaloro's are a bit on the small side. What varieties produce smaller pods?
    Pam

10 years ago

M and TAM, and Early are 3 that I can think of. Here we go with both ends of the spectrum as far as heat. One (M), pretty hot compared to my Goliath, and TAM, which is very mild.

The variety Mark has pictured above to the right is another... :P

By the way, your BB's seem to be above the norm from what I've read -- I've never grown them. You must have exceptional soil and growing conditions. Either that, or you got tiny hands. ;)

Kevin

• John A
    10 years ago

I agree that the larger ones look like Biker Billys. I tried to save the seed once, but the F2s were wimpy. Remember - It's a hybrid.
    John A

• kuvaszlvr
    10 years ago

Yeah, Tams are really mild. I haven't grown M or Early. I don't think my hands are small ;-) (average for a 5'10" female... I think). I don't know about growing conditions, although anymore I swear by MG's Shake and Feed for tomatoes. I've used it the last 3 yrs and have the best harvests I've ever had.

Yeah, I just buy my BB seeds every year, although I will say I HATE paying the Burpee prices, but they are the only ones that I trust to buy seed from (for BB that is).
    Pam

Sponsored
WM Design Studio, LLC.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars17 Reviews
Loudoun County's Skilled Residential Architect | 4X Best of Houzz!