Return to the Hot Pepper Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Ornamental Peppers edible?

Posted by veatchlaw 10 (My Page) on
Sun, Sep 28, 08 at 18:29

I was given an Ornamental Pepper plant. The tag (from Sunlet Nursery, Fallbrook, CA) says "Ornamental purposes only. Not Edible." Are the peppers or the seeds poisonous? May we eat any part of the peppers or use them in cooking?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Ornamental Peppers edible?

Most that I know of are, but if it said not to I wouldn't.

o

The risk I see is that ornamental plants of any kind, not just peppers, may have been treated with systemic insecticides. I've never seen this specifically noted on a plant label, but I play it on the safe side and do not eat ornamentals I have not grown myself.

Jim

o

if it was a plant that was purchased I would say don't eat, as mentioned pesticides n whatnot.

My neighbor grew some this year and they were some of the tastiest peppers! They tasted like hot cherries! NO LIE! I am gonna grow some next year. I could eat them like candy like Black Hungarians!

o

No chiles are poisonous.

They have likely sprayed with poison........

o

I agree with the others, probably wouldn't take the chance if it's labeled "don't eat". Also, there's a chance it's not even an ornamental PEPPER plant. I've seen ornamental plants with BERRIES labeled as pepper plants. There's definately some ornamental BERRIES out there you DO NOT WANT TO EAT!

Anyway, the link below lists some of the more common ornamental peppers (w/ pics). It might help you identify your plant. I still wouldn't eat it though.

Here is a link that might be useful: Various Ornamental Peppers

o

I e-mailed Janet Kister at Sunlet Nursery, asking "The tag says "Ornamental purposes only. Not Edible." They look delicious. Are the peppers or the seeds poisonous? May we eat any part of the peppers or use them in cooking?"

She responded: "We are a grower of ornamental plants, not food crops. That is why we noted as such on the label. Although the peppers are edible, we do not grow them for that purpose. However, since they are edible, we do not use any systemics nor any chemicals that could not be used on food crops. They are an annual plant and will only produce fruit this growing season. Taking the peppers off will not promote more peppers. Once all of the flowers have set, they will not produce more flowers that will set fruit. Be sure to keep them in a sunny location and well watered. They are a very fun plant - enjoy!"

o

Funny that she thinks peppers are annuals but nice to know they don't use systemics.

o

Yep, funny. I suppose the industry considers them annuals because they are most often used that way, like tomatoes (which are perennials). Her statement that they will not produce a second crop in another season is not true, however.

Jim

o

Well if she got the 'annual, no 2nd crop' part wrong how can you be sure she got the no systemics right? Do they isolate the plants at the nursery so they don't get treated along with all the the others?

o

This is great. I've always wondered the same thing.

http://www.gardenmusic.com/articles/fallfandango.html

"And the number one question regarding Ornamental Peppers is: Are they poisonous or edible? They are definitely not poisonous. All members of the Capsicum genus are edible if your palate can handle the heat, and some of these little ornamentals are firebombs! The reason they are considered "not for consumption" is they have been grown as an ornamental just like a Chrysanthemum or any other non-food crop. This means they have likely been treated with a systemic insecticide to produce the best looking, pest free decorative plant. For this reason, consider them inedible."

o

I have a personal experience. I was at a friend's house and she had a purple ornamental pepper. I picked one and popped it into my mouth. At first all was well, then the heat came... I almost died!! But just from the heat! Not from poison. It took about an hour for the heat to subside. I drove home eating yogurt the whole way. That seemed to help. Those little ornamentals are HOT!! If it was poisonous, I wouldn't be here to write about it.

o

I had a similar experience with a Black Pearl ornamental that I grew from seed. "How hot could it possibly be?" I thought as I barely touched a piece of pepper to the tip of my tongue. Nothing at first, but then my eyes began to water and my entire mouth and nose were burning. I swallowed a Benadryl but it was taking too long to kick in, so I applied a topical Benadryl lotion to my face and inside nostrils. Yeah, kinda gross but effective. It took several hours for the tingling sensation to subside. I probably drank a gallon of milk that day.

o

Listen to the nursery owner advice. There is a reason they are labeled "ornamental". ;) If they were meant to be eaten as food then they would just be called peppers.

Dave

o

I had the same question. Are these poisonous? Not because I plan to eat them. But because I have small children and the fruit are very tempting to them. I do not want to plant them this year if they are poisonous.

Sounds like they are not poisonous. It might be a good (harmlessly painfull) lesson to the kids if the do try to eat them.

o

Given that they were confirmed as peppers, you should not lose much sleep over them. Be aware that the Solanum pseudocapsicum (common name Jerusalem Cherry) is often sold as an ornamental pepper. This one is toxic.

o

My .02 ... Unless I knew for certain about pesticide use, etc. I would not eat anything labeled as 'ornamental'. I tend to be very cautious about these things, personally. However, I've read that many of these pepper plants are called ornamental because they are so hot, that they are *barely* edible. I'd suggest a site like ChilePlants.com if you want a pretty and edible chile plant....
Marc

o

Jerusalem cherry is also called Persimmons ornamental.

Actually it probably won't kill you , but you'll see colors and things that aren't there and you might get sick pretty if you eat it- in stronrger doses you could have some real nasty things going on,possibly death or wish you were dead.
Same beladona/nightshade type stuff in it.

Here is a link that might be useful: jerusalem cherry

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hot Pepper Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here