Return to the Hot Pepper Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Purple splotching on green/yellow fruit

Posted by plantslayer 8 (My Page) on
Sun, Sep 26, 10 at 19:05

Hello,

I've been watching my Hungarian Wax and Fish peppers develop purple splotching on the fruit for several weeks now. Some people say this is caused by sun burn, but the fact is, it's rather cloudy at least half the time around here for weeks now. The fruit seem healthy and firm, no rotting etc. to speak of, but they seem to be taking waaay too long to ripen.

The plants are outside in pots with drainage, I give them a weak liquid fertilizer (miracle grow diluted to 1/4) once every week or so. Could this issue be caused by cool temps or some kind of deficiency?

Thanks for the advice!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Purple splotching on green/yellow fruit

A picture would help identify. If it looks like this it's normal amd not a problem

o

Sorry about the lack of picture. Yes, I think that is the same thing happening to my plant. Granted it is not a big problem, is there something in particular that is causing it? Is ripening delayed due to said issue?

Thanks!

o

I have heard the same as you that it is caused by the sun. I have seen it on many varieties of peppers and usually it's not evident when the pod is ripe. I have never had it cause a problem with the peppers.I don't believe ripening is delayed. Many peppers take a long time between reaching full size and ripening to their final color

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hot Pepper Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here