Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_19774863

When life gives you Peppers and Tomatoes

User
10 years ago

You make Hotter than Heinz Ketchup. In my case, Hotter than Heinz Grim Reaper Ketchup.

Here's a shot of 1 (one) liter I did today for a friend.

The original recipe (link below) calls for 1/2 teaspoon of hab powder but you can sub as much dried or fresh chile as you can handle. I used 1/4 teaspoon of my Grim Reaper powder blend of hot to crazy hot peppers. I also cut the one cinnamon stick to 1/2 stick. The recipe says to reduce to 2.5 cups but that's way to thick for me. I shoot for four cups for a smooth ketchup.

Bill

Ps. Sorry Josh, I'm using the last of my Reaper powder for the ketchup. I won't have a fresh supply until fall 2014 ;-(

Here is a link that might be useful: Firey Food's Hotter than Heinz recipe

Comments (10)

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    10 years ago

Beautiful consistency there, Bill!

Well, if the Reaper's in short supply, I'll guard the last of mine jealously ;-)
    After all, what would Thanksgiving be without Twice Deviled Eggs? hahaha.
    Grim Reaper, Grim #5, Son of Reaper (not to mention your Spiked Salt)...they're all solidly hot powders....perfect for powering up any boring ramen soup, and setting a potato hash on fire!

Josh

• woohooman San Diego CA zone 10a
    10 years ago

I'll have to try that some time. But instead of making my own ketchup, I'll just add some powder to some and let it meld in the fridge for a couple weeks. I tend to use up all my maters on salsa.

Kevin

• peppernovice
    10 years ago

That's some good looking Ketchup. I made a batch of hot ketchup last year. I just didn't make it hot enough.

Tim

• CanadianLori
    10 years ago

Hey, that looks great. I used some of my peppers to make a hot pizza sauce. I make mini pizzas every week for my spouse and he likes them kicked.

• John A
    10 years ago

That looks delicious, Bill.
    John A

• kuvaszlvr
    10 years ago

Yummm.......................... Thanks for the link Bill!!
    Pam

• judo_and_peppers
    10 years ago

I'm not gonna lie, that sounds like an extremely long and drawn out process. I probably won't be making any of that. my wife already complains about the electricity bill from me boiling my hot sauces for like a half hour.

though I might consider putting some regular ketchup in the blender with some of Tim's "devil dust" I just got in the mail yesterday. or I could just make another batch of my tabasco marinara that my wife often uses in place of ketchup.

• DMForcier
    10 years ago

> " my wife already complains about the electricity bill from me boiling my hot sauces"

Does your wife use a hair dryer? Oh, what a waste of energy!

• judo_and_peppers
    10 years ago

actually no, she doesn't. ...because she thinks it's a waste of energy. and no, I'm not kidding.

• CanadianLori
    10 years ago

Oh that stupid electric bill complaint. I hang out most of my laundry to dry nearly year round (no unmentionables go on the line), we are on tou - which means if I use the power during the day it costs more - so I do all of the housework, laundry etc on the weekend and I still got complaints. Our rates have gone up and I am still holding the line at the total we paid 3 years ago- and still the whining. I even offered to switch responsibilities - I pay the utilities, he pays the insurances - that went over like a lead balloon. I've had my hobby greenhouse for 5 months and only ran a small fan - the whining - so now I have it totally off grid - running fans and pumps etc with solar power. And I bet you the next bill will come in and the whining will still go on!
    Have you got a side burner on your barbecue? Maybe that might help - but if your spouse is like mine - it's a monthly hobby to whine anyway! I still love him but sometimes... to the moon.... :)

Sponsored
Frasure Home Improvements
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Franklin County's Highly Skilled General Contractor