Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
scorpion_john

stinging bhuts

scorpion_john
11 years ago

most of the peppers on one of my bhuts have the tail. Pod variation or cross? Thought you guys might find it interesting, tastes like a regular bhut, John

Comments (38)

• scorpion_john
    Original Author
    11 years ago

another pic

• ottawapepper
    11 years ago

Interesting. The first thought I had was a cross with a Scorpion. Save the seeds. I'd be interested in trading for some. Send me an email.

Bill

• scorpion_john
    Original Author
    11 years ago

sorry about the quality, guess i'm gonna have to experiment with the cam settings on my new phone, close ups go blurry

• Armageddon
    11 years ago

very interesting i would also like to trade for some of these seeds if you have any extras

• esox07 (4b) Wisconsin
    11 years ago

Certainly looks like a Scorpion cross. Was that the only pod that looked like that?
    Bruce

• scorpion_john
    Original Author
    11 years ago

no, most of the pods on that plant are like that. Thats the one with the most defined tail. The other ones are stubby and not as pretty but they are trying. I'll have to see what i get from this plant. So this is the first ripe pod off it. It was one of my smaller seedlings i almost didn't even plant cause it was so far behind the others. Will be happy to send u guys seed when some more start ripening. I'm gonna overwinter it, cause its hard to tell how the seeds will grow out, John

• Edymnion
    11 years ago

That is definitely an awesome hybrid. By all means, overwinter that bad boy, and see if you can make cuttings when you prune it back.

• Armageddon
    11 years ago

would even be interested in a couple of the cuttings when you decide to pull it indoors i will cover the shipping expense just let me know .

• habjolokia z 6b/7
    11 years ago

Very nice pepper cool cross. Can you post a pic of the others that have a stubby tail when ripe? Would be cool to see what they look like or even a shot of the plant with pods on it.

Mark

• Edymnion
    11 years ago

Agreed, I think we'd all be interested in a piece of this one. =)

• scorpion_john
    Original Author
    11 years ago

pics

• scorpion_john
    Original Author
    11 years ago

pods

• scorpion_john
    Original Author
    11 years ago

pic

• scorpion_john
    Original Author
    11 years ago

another pod

• DMForcier
    11 years ago

I think it is obscene. Perhaps the Devil's own pepper?

• scorpion_john
    Original Author
    11 years ago

i got more pics, but u get the idea. After counting, about 70 percent tried to make tails. Rest look like reg. Bhuts, John

• ottawapepper
    11 years ago

To paraphrase Oliver Twist... Seed PLEASE!

• scorpion_john
    Original Author
    11 years ago

once i get seeds collected and dried, i'll share with whoever is interested. Just keep it out of evil joes hands, lol. john

• habjolokia z 6b/7
    11 years ago

Very nice, and an interesting pepper, if you do have any seeds left to share I would like to have some also. I do have seeds I could trade if you like any of the varieties that I have.

Mark

• andyandy
    11 years ago

I know with gourds when you cross polinate you do not see the hybrid until the next generation. If two squash x-polinate the fruit will look like the mother plant and you will not see the hybrid until you plant the seeds from the mother plant. is it not the same with peppers?

• Edymnion
    11 years ago

It is, this is clearly a fruit from a hybrid seed from last year.

• scorpion_john
    Original Author
    11 years ago

how long do these seeds need to air dry? And what do u guys normally do quanity wise?

• habjolokia z 6b/7
    11 years ago

4 to 5 days should be good to air dry, I usually dry for a week or so. Usually 10 seeds per pack is the norm, but Bhuts don't have many seeds and not sure how many are in this type of pepper. I would be happy with just 5 seeds.

Mark

• rick_in_va
    11 years ago

Those are awesome! Looks like a regular Bhut except for the tail. Save me five seeds if you can spare them. Thanks.

Rick (P.S. What's going on with Bhut seeds this year? Mine were far from normal.)

• Armageddon
    11 years ago

my bhuts look to have all grown true some have little pod variation but nothing out of the ordinary not nothing even near johns photos but again i have used only my bhut seeds for years now .

• scorpion_john
    Original Author
    11 years ago

these seeds were bought from a good supplyer. All of them grew true except this on plant. Somehow it must have got crossed. Seed wise, Mark, same as a regular bhut. Got about 100 seeds now. Mail me ur info, John

• scorpion_john
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Bill, i tried emailing u and keep getting an error. Get a hold of me , John

• Armageddon
    11 years ago

John would love to have a hand full of them seeds also would offer to cover any / all the shipping fees including you first offer of any next years true seed from your mother plant .

• Armageddon
    11 years ago

last post I forgot to mention the fresh cuts if you decide to overwinter or scrap the plant .... if you think its worth the time i will put forth the effort .....just a heads up .

• whocarezz
    11 years ago

I have a Bhut plant with maybe a dozen pods that show a stinger - kinda, sorta........
    My 2010 OP seeds came from a source in PA, this one was from seed I saved in 2011,
    plant was a late start, set out around May 1 and only gets 4-5 hours of full sun.
    All pods are immature and probably will not have time to ripen before frost hits,
    but weather is crazy here, forecast is high 90's all week!
    Anyway here's a pic.

• homefry319
    11 years ago

those look pretty wicked be interested in how they taste

• scorpion_john
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Homefry - they taste like a regular bhut to me, John

• scorpion_john
    Original Author
    11 years ago

i still have about 200 of these seeds left. Did everybody that wants them get them? John

• Edymnion
    11 years ago

Bhuts have a flavor? Does soul scarring pain count as a flavor?

• scorpion_john
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I get about 10 seconds of flavor before the heat hits me. Lol

• mbellot
    11 years ago

Does soul scarring pain count as a flavor?

Yes. Yes it does.

:)

• DMForcier
    11 years ago

Bhuts most definitely have a flavor. Currently my favorite pepper flavor. Pain is good too, but everything in moderation.

• marc813
    11 years ago

Those look nice and are have an interesting shape.
    I'll take some seeds. I have some started allready and these would compliment my winter collection. Send me your address and I'll send you a SASE.

Sponsored
Closet America
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars133 Reviews
Northern Virginia, Baltimore & DC Metro's Closet Organization Company