Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
anchorblew

Pepper Identification

anchorblew
11 years ago

Hello all. I was hoping that someone here might be able to help me identify some peppers I have growing.

I planted 8 different types of seeds back in November of last year and I just finally had one of my plants start to produce peppers. I have 4 plants going strong of the 8 different seeds I attempted to grow. Unfortunately, over the past few months, all of my plants lost their labels.

I had planted all of the following: white habanero, Peter pepper, Thai Pepper, Butch T Trinidad Scorpion, Bhut Jolokia (aka Ghost Pepper), giant jalapeno, and Serrano pepper.

Comments (14)

• User
    11 years ago

Given the irregular growth pattern of the pod, I'm going guess that's a Peter Pepper. In my limited experience with the, only a few pods on Peter's produce the, you know, shape.

• esox07 (4b) Wisconsin
    11 years ago

Picture is a little tough to tell but my guess is Pepperoncini. It doesn't really look like any of those you have listed. Could we see another photo of another pod or maybe a different angle on that one above.

Here is a photo of my Pepperoncinis.

Bruce

• anchorblew
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Here's another pic

• esox07 (4b) Wisconsin
    11 years ago

I still don't see any of the peppers you listed. I will have to stick with Pepperoncini and assume you got mixed seed.
    Bruce

• User
    11 years ago

I'm still going with a Peter if it is one on your list. Funky growth regardless. When it ripen, taste it. If it has an unremarkable flavour/flavor and heat, it's probably a Peter.

• anchorblew
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I bought all of my seeds from Pepper Joe's. He does not even sell pepperoncini seeds. So I don't that they are that.

• esox07 (4b) Wisconsin
    11 years ago

Well there you go. I bought four packs of seeds last year by an online retailer and two packs were different peppers than I ordered. I will not name the retailer as he/she trolls this forum and get a bit upset when he/she gets called out.

May not be pepperonci but they are extremely low heat and taste so that wouldn't be much different than a peter pepper I guess...never grew the peter pepper. If you have another pod on the plant, maybe a photo of that would help.

Of your listed varieties, I would either agree with ottawa or go with Thai pepper. I would be very surprised to find out it was one of the others.

You also have to take a possible cross into account. A photo of a second pod would help or is that the only one on the plant?

Someone else with a bit more experience needs to chime in.
    Bruce

• anchorblew
    Original Author
    11 years ago

The 2 pics I posted are the 2 biggest off that I have thus far. As for cross, of the 4 plants I have growing, this is not only the only one producing fruit, but also the only plant producing flowers at the moment. No neighbors are growing peppers that I know of.

• esox07 (4b) Wisconsin
    11 years ago

Anchorblew: it doesn't matter which plant pollinates the flowers as far as what kind of peppers will grow on that plant. It will only affect the seed from those peppers and may or may not grow true next year if if was cross pollinated. So the seeds you purchased would have had to come from a cross pollinated pepper from last year's crop if they are not growing true. So it doesn't matter if it is self pollinated this year or pollinated by a different variety, it is going to produce the one kind of peppers this year. The other possible issue is mixed up seeds before they were packaged and sent out to you.
    Bruce

• anchorblew
    Original Author
    11 years ago

That makes sense. Thanks.

• esox07 (4b) Wisconsin
    11 years ago

Ottawa & Anchorblew:
    I am going to side with Ottawa after doing a bit of research. It does seem that many of the peter peppers grow similar to the pod you are showing. However, I hope you get some of the more traditional looking pods also.
    Bruce

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    11 years ago

Looks to be a Peter to me.
    (Bruce, pepperoncini and peter look very similar). The Peter will be much hotter
    than a pepperoncini, of course ;-)

Josh

• anchorblew
    Original Author
    11 years ago

here are 2 more pictures of other peppers.

• anchorblew
    Original Author
    11 years ago

pic #2

{{!gwi}}

Sponsored
Dream Baths by Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Your Custom Bath Designers & Remodelers in Columbus I 10X Best Houzz