Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jtight

NuMex Twighlight (photo)

jtight
9 years ago

Mine is looking good. Def. an interesting variety.

Comments (17)

• kentishman
    9 years ago

Nice job!

• esox07 (4b) Wisconsin
    9 years ago

Yep, and that is only going to get prettier. The purple will turn yellow, orange and then red with some white mixed in. Your pods are all immature right now but you have a great looking plant going there. Give it two or three more weeks and update the photo for us. You will be amazed just how much prettier it can and will get. I just hope you live in an area that will give you that much more growing season.
    Bruce

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    9 years ago

Very nice spread!

Josh

• ottawapepper
    9 years ago

What Bruce said... is only going to get prettier

The Twilight is my favorite ornamental.

• obchili
    9 years ago

Nice plant there. I am jealous. Mine are done for the season now. Going to prune back for the winter and hope it survives.

• judo_and_peppers
    9 years ago

I have twilight seeds that I never used last year. my question is, how are they for eating? I mean they're beautiful, but are they good tasting? my limited experience with ornamentals is that most of them are really seedy.

• esox07 (4b) Wisconsin
    9 years ago

Twilight are quite seedy. But they are fine for eating as well. My mother uses them. I simply use some of the other "non-ornamentals" that I grow instead. I have tasted them and they have a fair amount of heat. I guess I would say there is nothing unique about the taste. So, if you just want to spice something up, dropping a few of those in might be the ticket. But I just grow them for the looks.
    Bruce

• siouxzin
    9 years ago

heat but otherwise kind of "meh"

• Mad Ferret
    9 years ago

Did you have any trouble germinating them? I tried some of these when I first started growing and I struggled to get a decent plant and the ones that grew, grew stunted.

I've got better at growing chillis and germinating them, might give them another go.

• seysonn
    9 years ago

I have an ornamental called " Sangria" with almost identicat shape leaves, pod color changes, But it has no heat with a lot of good flavor. I am going to grind some for paprika.

In the picture:
    The orange ones will turn red.
    Here is how the color changes: Dark purple : Light purple: Orange : red. This is my only over wintered plant

• esox07 (4b) Wisconsin
    9 years ago

Madferret: I have never had any trouble germinating Twilights. They are a disease resistant variety as well. I would give them another go if I were you.
    Bruce

• ottawapepper
    9 years ago

Madferret, what Bruce said. I've been growing them for years and have never had germination problems.

• Mad Ferret
    9 years ago

Thanks I must've got a bad batch or something. I'll add then to the list for next year ;)

• esox07 (4b) Wisconsin
    9 years ago

Yep, if you think your seed stock is bad, let me know, I will send you some new seeds.
    Bruce

• esox07 (4b) Wisconsin
    9 years ago

SandysGarden: OK, just got a reply from my sister. She said it is the SKY WALK which I think is downtown Minneapolis.
    Bruce

• Mad Ferret
    9 years ago

Thanks Esox07. I'm going to try all the remaining seeds and see what I get. I'll might take you up on that offer though if nothing happens with my remaining seeds.

• jtight
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Tks everyone for follow-up post/comments. My ability to reply a/ or post anything was deactivated by GW. Have since resolved.

Johnny

Sponsored
My Kitchen And Bath
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars48 Reviews
Virginia-Based, Leading Kitchen and Bath Remodeler Since 1994