Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
spicythumb

Wild Pepper Plant (photos(

SpicyThumb
10 years ago

Hello!

Well, this little beauty decided to sprout right next to the concrete deck. It looks like a chiltepin/birds eye pepper, the typical wild pepper plant around here. I'm thinking about transplanting it (let me know if that's a bad idea)

I believe this happened because about a year ago, I had a pepper plant sprout out of no where in a pot (had to of been the birds). Then, I moved and my room mate got a dog and he knocked over the pepper plant one day, and I think more seeds were in the soil which spilled every where (near the same spot of the plant).

Also, there was a period in the spring where 10-15 birds would come and eat the dog food and crap all over the place, near the same spot of the plant. So maybe they ate some peppers else where and planted a seed.

Questions: This IS a chiltepin/birds eye pepper, right?

-Safe to transplant?

More pictures to come... Could only upload 1 at a time?

Comments (18)

• SpicyThumb
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Photo of the peppers. Waiting for the suckers to turn red!

• woohooman San Diego CA zone 10a
    10 years ago

Looks like tepin/chiltepin. I wouldn't move it, Looks to be pretty darn established and happy. Why move it?

Kevin

• nc_crn
    10 years ago
  • don555
    10 years ago

I agree on the nightshade ID. You don't want to be eating those berries.

• nc_crn
    10 years ago

Also, in case you've eaten some...the berries aren't very toxic unless you ingest a whole lot of them.

Mild toxicity would be nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, etc...

It's not the "deadly nightshade" variety more commonly found west of the Rockies with the bad reputation.

Some people are quite tolerant of the mild amount of toxins in the berries and make jams/pies out of it...go figure.

Still...I wouldn't bother trying to make them edible...or playing around with what's a toxic dose for you. It's not worth it for the most part.

This post was edited by nc-crn on Wed, Sep 18, 13 at 22:19

• esox07 (4b) Wisconsin
    10 years ago

I would say the nightshade ID is dead on according to the link posted. But as far as being toxic, I would say your might be better off eating one of those than a Bhut pod.

• SpicyThumb
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you for the input everyone!

It definitely looks like the Eastern Black NIghtshade, like mentioned. I will just rip the plant out of the ground now.

I thought it was weird that there was multiple fruits rather than the single pepper with the chilitepin.

Much thanks.

• judo_and_peppers
    10 years ago

scary concept. something that looks so much like a pepper...

• woohooman San Diego CA zone 10a
    10 years ago

Once again, My I.D. skills are poorly displayed. lol Does look sorta like a tepin though.
    . Kevin

• SpicyThumb
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Indeed, Judo & Peppers. I had no idea there was such a plant that looked like the Tepin.

And Woohooman, same here. I agree, it does look like it a little tepin.That's why I posted the photos. Always good to get many opinions.

Oh well, my newest pepper venture will start in a couple months. I will try and start a thread since I created this account.

• seysonn
    10 years ago

What makes it suspicious that it has multiple fruits cluster. But as far as I know that is not the growing habit of peppers.

I have seen nightshades with similar fruits bac in GA. Their fruts turned orange when ripe. The stem and leaves had thorn. ALSO, they looked more like eggplant than pepper. Flea beetle loved them just like eggplant.

• willardb3
    10 years ago

Tepin is an annuum and does not bear multiple fruit on a node.

Not a tepin

• wjp4140
    10 years ago

Peppers, tomatoes, potatos and eggplants are members of the nightshade family.

• seysonn
    10 years ago

wip ... correct but here NIGHTSHADE is referred to the deadly toxic ones.
    Horse Nettles is referred to some of them as well.

This post was edited by seysonn on Fri, Sep 20, 13 at 6:18

• PepperGuy222
    10 years ago

There are multiple peppers out there who grow in clusters as well, for example, Yatzi Pepper, which I'm growing. But, there is no mistaking those bad boys.

• sandy0225
    10 years ago

nope, its a weed. time to get rid of it. But I will say by the picture it is a really pretty one!

• t-bob
    10 years ago

plus the fruits were falling down rather than up, that was my first thought when I saw the second pic....yank that sucker

Sponsored