Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_19774863

Flipping the question "peppers you won't grow again" around

User
9 years ago

judo_and_peppers continued what I think may become an annual thread: "peppers you won't grow again".

How about we start another annual parallel thread: "new to you, peppers you will grow again".

I'll start. For me it's an easy list.

Aleppo (PI 181864). I've had these seeds for years but shied away from growing because they seemed to have the same misplaced hype around them as Peppadews (my opinion).

I could not have been more wrong. I think these things deserve every growers attention.

Peach Bhut Jolokia Folks who know me know I really like the original Red Bhuts. I've grown the Yellow and Chocolate in the past but the Peach really kick it up a couple of notches on the fruitiness scale.

Last but not least, the Guajillo. My first taste made me think of how this would really take a Mole to the next level.

How about yours?

Don't be shy. In my early years I would have said Orange Habanero. I still grow or buy them today. I know, there are Orange Hab haters out there ;-)

Comments (15)

• plantsman56
    9 years ago

Jay's peach ghost scorpion. The pepper tastes a little watered down and not that hot at first, but it is the most time release heat I have ever tasted. It took about 3 minutes for the heat and then it hits you hard. What I liked about it is that the powder is great and is perfect for sauces with fruit. I only have one plant, but I isolated it and will be planting about 20 more plants for next season.

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    9 years ago

Well, the Peach Bhut Jolokia is the most remarkable pepper I've grown this year in looks, flavor, and heat. It will definitely be coming back next year.

Honorable mention....the Thai chiles I've grown since 2009. Four plants in the ground right now, with additional plants at my brother's and sister's houses.

Josh

• judo_and_peppers
    9 years ago

I tried about 30 new varieties this year. the ones that really stuck out are:

white 7pot - I love this pepper. very fruity taste, with something I can't quite put my finger on about the flavor, but I really really love it, and will be growing a lot more in the future.

7pot madballz - I like the pepper a lot more than I like the name. I only have 2 plants, one came out brown, one came out burgundy coloored. I know the ideal color for this pepper is burgundy, and brown is one of the common phenotypes that comes from it being unstable. I gotta say, the brown one tastes better. it has the smokiest flavor of any pepper I've ever tried, and plenty of heat. great sauce pepper.

yellow brain - I know a lot of people on here don't like it. I do. I'll be growing it again.

choc. naga x brain - crazy prolific pepper with a flavor that I can't quite pin down, and solid heat.

Jay's peach ghost x scorpion - I like it. I wonder how it compares to the peach bhut everyone seems to love this year.

bonda ma jaques - great flavor pepper. the ones I grew out didn't have the same shape as the ones I saw on here, but the plant took a beating early in it's life and was under-potted for quite some time, and still sort of is so it's probably just stunted. but the pepper has wonderful flavor.

and I think I will always continue to grow red brain strains. after all the peppers I've tried this year, they're still one of my favorites.

there are others but I'm starting to feel like I'm droning on, so I'll cut it short. but I wanna try those aleppos I keep hearing about.

• Mecdave Zone 8/HZ 9
    9 years ago

I'm new to growing super hots, in fact I got a late start with them so haven't actually gotten to taste any of mine yet, but I have been buying assorted boxes from other growers.

The one that stood out above all the rest is Pepperlover's White Naga. Never have I had such an intense burst of flavors followed by intense heat, of course. I wish I could describe the flavors, but the heat quickly put me in distress and prevented me from taking another bite. ;)

The White Naga is Pepperlovers own development (she has many) and hopefully is stable enough to grow true, as I saved the seeds. I can't wait to make a smokey white powder out of them.

• pepperdave
    9 years ago

Agree with the Peach Ghost. very prolific and earlier the my other Ghosts.
    Cumari Got seed as an extra turn on in a seed swap last winter.small pepper,very productive,labor intensive to pick but the heat is perfect and the flavor is awesome.
    7pod Lg Verry meaty,productive and almost Congo in size.
    My Yellow Scorpion Ive saved seeds from an extra large one for a few years and they seem to get bigger every year. One of the best for flavor [eat them every day]
    Congo I first got this pepper from the Tobago Market in the 80s Did not grow it for a few years but now its back where it belongs

• siouxzin
    9 years ago

Soooo... where would I purchase some of these Peach Bhut and Peach Ghost seeds for my grow next year?

• Mecdave Zone 8/HZ 9
    9 years ago

Ghost is another term for Bhut Jolokia. Buckeye Pepper Co. is a real good vendor...

Here is a link that might be useful: Buckeye Peach

• OKgrowin
    9 years ago

i'll be keeping/overwintering:
    hab paper lantern: great producer, kinda fuzzy plants, bearable heat, easy to harvest, medium sized plant
    chocolate hab: big pods, much richer taste than super market or red / orange habs, hotter as well, decent production, grows pretty big.
    Brazilian starfish: mild heat suitable for non chiliheads, great on sandwich / salad, cool looking pods and flowers

i didn't know all the different intricacies of pepper varieties when i started this season in January, now that i know much more i can't wait to try some others (like peach ghost or jays peach g/s)

• HotHabaneroLady
    9 years ago

I'd like to try chinese five colors again. I tried them this year only to have them be my worst plant, bearing nothing at all. But this has been a bad year for everything, so I don't really blame them. I blame the weather and I'd like to try again.

I also decided to try tabasco peppers this year. I only grew two or three plants, but one of then is looking like my most productive new plant. I'm still waiting on full ripeness and hoping that it comes before frost. But I'd like to try them again too.

Angie

• DMForcier
    9 years ago

Yellow fatalii, lemon drop, yer Basic Bhut, some sort of jalapeno for poppers, probably this Bonnie Plants orange hab.

I'd like to try Manzano again. Choc. Scotch Bonnet, Congo, several other maybe.

Ornamentals, of course, like Black Pearl.

And the rest will be taken up by stuff I've never grown before.

Dennis

• maple_grove_gw
    9 years ago

Habanero Francisca: I grew this one since I was intrigued by the description "big sister to the Red Savina" (Red Savina is one of my all time favorites).

When it started putting forth pods, I was disappointed that were just orange habs. A google search at that point found links to other folks saying "not worth it, nothing special they're just someone's patented orange hab strain." Now after having quite a few, I wish to differ. The difference is the distinctive flavor which is quite nice with good heat (typical hab), while not overpowering.

Maybe I think so just b/c my expectations had fallen quite low, but they are my favorite medium-heat pepper I'm growing this season. Perhaps with this pepper, your enjoyment will be the inverse of your expectations...

-Alex

• pepperdave
    9 years ago

Have not grown Lemon Drop in years but a few friends grow them. Excellent pepper, I should grow some again next year.

• seysonn
    9 years ago

I will grow again:

Lemon Drop, Chinese 5C, Manzano, Red Habs, Jalaps, Thai Hot, HHW. Poinsettia, Cayenne

Want to add:
    Scotch bonnet, chocolate Hab, and/or red Fatalii.
    Also want to try a super hot that is early and has chocolate color, smoke flavor . Any suggestions ?

DROP:
    Chilaca, Bishop's Crown, Dundicut, Gypsy, Fresno, Banana (Late or not prolific)

• habjolokia z 6b/7
    9 years ago

I usually grow my staple Bhut every year, but this year I grew my Bhut cross. Besides the Bhut I'm still looking for contenders for a yearly grow. I am seriously considering chocolate Hab again. Also the MOA scotch bonnet might be one, I will give it a go this upcoming season. Many mentioned HHW so that may make the list, I know Bruce will approve.

• siouxzin
    9 years ago

Well I ordered some Peach Bhut seeds (and of course you can never order just one type of seed).

I expect to be "wow'd" this next year!

:)

Sponsored
Industry Leading Landscape Contractors in Franklin County, OH